Spotlight on Montravius Adams

StatTiger

Coming to Auburn, Montravius Adams, was one of the top DT's in the country out of HS and clearly one of Auburn's top recruits. Physically, he established himself enough during camp to earn playing time this season but even Coach Ellis Johnson was concerned about the mental aspect of MA's game. It wasn't until the second quarter, when Adams made his debut as an Auburn Tiger and he did it with a sack on his first play as a college player.

WSU-AdamsSack_zps2fc443cc.jpg

On this play Montravius Adams will go 1 on 1 with the Cougar's RG, John Fullington. At the snap, Fullington attempts to cut block Adams but Adams is able to "punch" Fullington, creating slight separation between the two. As Fullington drops to cut Adams, Montravius is able to step over him pushing towards the QB.

Craig Sanders drops into coverage to pick up the RB releasing into the flat, giving Auburn a 3-man rush on the play. The RT attempts to slide over to engage Montravius but cannot slow Adams drive to the QB. Adams is quickly upon the quarterback, taking him down for a sack.

WSU-Adamsbullrush_zpsf4554f92.jpg

Later in the game Montravius Adams is matched up against Fullington (6-5, 298) 1 on 1. Fullington is a 3-year starter for the Cougars with 36 games of experience. On this play, Fullington attempts to engage Adams straight up with Adams coming on a bull rush.

Adams explodes off the line gaining pad leverage on the senior RG. He maintains his leverage, driving the RG 6-yards into the backfield to the feet of the QB, who was able to get his pass off. Adams literally drove Fullington off his feet and Fullington resorted to grabbing Adams' jersey in an attempt to hold him from sacking the QB.

It has been a long time since Auburn played a TF at DT with that the kind of power and strength Adams possesses. If he continues to improve, opposing teams will need to double-team Adams, opening up opportunities for his fellow DL. The key to his success will be the determination to bring that level of play on a consistent basis, which is likely why Coach Rodney Garner has pushed him so hard.

Stat, fun to see this on Adams. Thanks. Adams is soo very talented. He will be a lot of fun to watch over the years.

Thanks Stat. Even after WSU adjusted and doubled team Adams in specific situations, he was able to get a good push. What pleased me in those situation was that Montravious continuted to move his feet, use his hands, and fight to hit his spots.

Look at the yard markers in those photos in relation to Monty and the o lineman trying to block him. If that's the play I'm thinking of it's forever burned in my memory because it was freaky how MA bull-rushed and overpowered the olineman, driving him toward the QB and messing up the O play.

It reminded me of Warren Sapp. A lot.

It's good to see we have a Fairley type of DT back on the line. If we could get two of those it would be honk if you sacked Brodie all over again.

All it takes is one great disrupter on the D Line, looks like we found one. What a way to start his career, with a sack. Looking forward to many more games of Adams creating havoc..

Great article here on Montravius as well. I thought Lawson would be my new favorite player, but I think Montravius earned that distinction now. Seems like a great kid in addition to being a stud DL.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090513aab.html

My favorite quote, "...shivers went through my body. It was then that I knew it was gametime." I keep telling people how fortunate we are that CRG is at Auburn now. Look at the names and the numbers of kids he has signed and developed. He has few equals in the college game, Coach Craig is right there as well. The next 5-6 years look to be some of the brightest on the plains in awhile, maybe forever.

Archived