25 yrs of being a fan of Auburn Football

IndianTiger

For me, it was in the mid-70's when I became a fan, still in high school when many of my chums were following "the Bear" I guess I was always one to pull for the underdog and I liked Shug. Later in high school, we did a school trip to Tuscalooser (teacher wanted us to use their library for research) but I just did not like the campus. Loved the Plains, though. So, when it came time to apply for college, I sent apps to several but once accepted at AU, none others mattered. Began in the fall of '79 and graduated in '83 and been a proud alum ever since. Folks around me have no doubt who my team is, but I explain to them, it is not just football it is AUBURN (sure, I like following the team as well as many of the other sports, but am most proud of my University). I served 24 years in Air Force and wherever I went, folks learned of AU and my love for it.

I guess one of my proudest moments for AU came just this week. A co-worker of mine and long time friend (we were stationed together in the military back in 88-89 and now get to work together) is a Kentucky grad. But his son chose to go to Auburn (we now live in Montgomery) and is a freshman this year and just getting started this fall. Well he came in my office and saw my framed copy of the Auburn Creed and comment how great he things it (the Creed) is and wished many universities would have something similar! Just further proof of how GREAT IT IS TO BE AN AUBURN TIGER!

I have been an Auburn fan from as far back as I can remember. Early 70's. I think I started out being a fan just to piss my Dad off who was a big Alabama fan. Long after I stopped wanting to piss him off I still loved the Orange and Blue. After family members started school at AU my love for AU only grew more. The very first game I ever attended at JHS was the LSU FIRE game......what year was that?

My daughter is a UA fan for much the same reason

Kids

I have been an Auburn fan from as far back as I can remember. Early 70's. I think I started out being a fan just to piss my Dad off who was a big Alabama fan. Long after I stopped wanting to piss him off I still loved the Orange and Blue. After family members started school at AU my love for AU only grew more. The very first game I ever attended at JHS was the LSU FIRE game......what year was that?

Likewise, my Dad is a huge Alabama fan. It was the moment Vincent "Bo" Jackson stepped on the field that made a a Tiger. I didn't attend Auburn but every time I make the trip up there I feel as though I am at home. There's no greater fans in CFB. We are truly a family. WDE.

Matter of fact, I believe I love this school as much as f I has attended. My oldest daughter plans on attending to study to be a Veterinarian.

Thanks Penguin149...

There must be some who have been fans for 50 or 75 yrs. So, I still have ways to go :-)

Try longer

We no longer know how to accurately count using the lunar/solar calendar of Enochs time. All we can do is make educated guesses of your pre-flood fandom.

Just count the rings in his bathtub?

Not born an AU fan, by any means. Which means, I chose AU, or probably, AU chose me. Either way. it's a beautiful thing.

I started in 1948. AU and Bama played for the first time since 1907. Most think there was a big fight back then but that was not the case. it was over per diem (traveling expenses). Hard to believe but true!!

You sir, are to be commended. :bow:/> That's a lot of football.

You're much like my father. His first game (at ASU) was in 1946, while he was still on active duty in the Army. He graduated in 1950, and has only missed 6 home games since then (he's made all the homecoming games). I'm fortunate that he's still adding games to his record.

I have told this story on here before but I will tell it again. It was the day of the Iron Bowl in 1948, it was not known by that back then, just as the Auburn/Alabama game. We got beat 55-0. However, as families did back then, mine went out for dinner and a movie. Some on here if you lived in B'ham, you may remember Britlings Cafeteria, sort of a forerunner of Picadillys now. During the whole meal all I heard was "WAR EAGLE" in the retaurant. Afterwards we walked a few blocks to the Alabama Thearter but along the way all I heard was, WAR EAGLE!! I can't remember the movie we saw but nobody would have heard the dialogue because all we heard was WAR EAGLE !! I thought to myself, if they can get beat 55-0 and carry on like that, I want to be there when they win one !! Well my first year was 1957 and everybody knows what happened that year. There is not any institution like Aubrun. I am glad to see that the spirit continues to this day. I am 74 and I still feel the spirit. All that said let's beat the hell out of Arky State. WDE!!!!!!!

Been there a few time Slammer.......there also was a fancy hotel downtown over 5 story's high spend many a Auburn/bammer game there for the weekend. Can't remember the name of it but the bear would be at the bar drinking bourbon like water

Was it the old original Tutwiler? That used to be game HQ in Bham. The 1st game I remember well was AU v Tennessee game in Birmingham in '66. My oldest brother was a freshman at Auburn; the first member of the family to attend college. The game was a pretty big disappointment....the worst part was I can remember being on one of the stadium buses returning to the hotel. There was a group of drunk UT fans; the men all wearing pukey orange colored coats (remember back when everyone dressed up for games?). One of them had a long blue horn (like a vuvuzela). I was setting by him and he kept blowing the horn in my ear and him and his buddies were giving Auburn hell. they kept yelling "Little boy blue blow your horn"...and he would blow that horn right in front of me. I hated Tennessee more than Alabama for years back then I think. There wasn't much money back in those days; so we would only get to see about one game a year in person...most of the rest I remember listening to Gary Sanders (after '66 I think he came in)...I still love to listen to football on the radio. Since we've been back in the US, I've had to listen to several Auburn games on satellite radio since a lot haven't been on TV out here.

yes that was it. Oh the memories

Thanks Penguin149...

There must be some who have been fans for 50 or 75 yrs. So, I still have ways to go :-)

Try longer

We no longer know how to accurately count using the lunar/solar calendar of Enochs time. All we can do is make educated guesses of your pre-flood fandom.

Just count the rings in his bathtub?

He was already grown by the time they created the first bathtub!

Archived