2015 4* WR John Burt (Texas signee)

ausburn

Sorry, guys, I've missed something. I haven't been keeping up with him much recently; I suppose I was just waiting on what seemed like an inevitable NSD commitment.

Do we not feel good about Burt solely because he hasn't peed or got off the pot? The last thing I recall was that he recommitted from Texas about two weeks ago.

TIA.

WDE!

Father lives in Atlanta, wants him to go to Auburn (I think John wants to go to Auburn as well) and his grandmother who lives in Austin, along with his mother who lives somewhere close to Austin want him at Texas. At the moment, his mom had overruled any possibility of him going to Auburn. That's the issue at the moment. I personally believe he'll up in Orange and Blue. But that's just me.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, guys, I've missed something. I haven't been keeping up with him much recently; I suppose I was just waiting on what seemed like an inevitable NSD commitment.

Do we not feel good about Burt solely because he hasn't peed or got off the pot? The last thing I recall was that he recommitted from Texas about two weeks ago.

TIA.

WDE!

Father lives in Atlanta, wants him to go to Auburn (I think John wants to go to Auburn as well) and his grandmother who lives in Austin, along with his mother who lives somewhere close to Austin want him at Texas. At the moment, his mom had overruled any possibility of him going to Auburn. That's the issue at the moment. I personally believe he'll up in Orange and Blue. But that's just me.

Who's he live with?

TIA.

WDE!

I realize one of the reasons this has all come about is because he is trying to respect both his parents. However, speaking strictly in a technical sense, his Dad can sign for him as long as he has joint custody I believe. Am I right on that ? If true, she can't veto his choice, she can only influence it.

He is going to have to understand something. Since it seems no matter which choice he makes one of his parents will be disapponted (I am reserving comment on that), he needs to choose the school that he wants. My own opinion, if he goes somewhere he doesn't want to go, he won't be happy. That will be true for either AU or Texas, in spite of doing what one of his parents want.

I knew all that stuff about the parents and their preferences. I presumed the combination of a decommit from Texas and a NSD announcement was great for us, and that he was just holding off on pulling the trigger to placate his mom.

I suppose I'm asking about any earth-moving developments in the last week or so.

WDE!

@Ellitor_AU: Wow! Sounds like Auburn target John Burt is a done deal to Texas. In many cases if you win mom then you win the recruit. #nextmanup

@Ellitor_AU: Wow! Sounds like Auburn target John Burt is a done deal to Texas. In many cases if you win mom then you win the recruit. #nextmanup

Damn. Really wanted the kid.

TIA.

WDE!

Mom lines in Tallanasty Florida along with John. Mom has contrll and it looks like Texas has won.

His mom lives in Florida. He lives with his mom.

So what's te deal with Texas? His grandma?

Most of the mom's side of the family live near Austin.

Has the feel of a custody battle ... Laid out for the whole world to see.

Regardless of this young mans situation, I have always been disappointed when if "seems" like a kid is maneuvered by family members about where to go. That includes mom, dad and grandparents.

Kids should go where they want. In this situation, if it's UT, then good for this kid. I think AU and Gus is the no brainer when compared to UT ... But he did not solicit my advise.

On a semi-related topic/question ...

If a kid is "forced" to sign with a school because a guardian won't sign the papers except for the guardians preferred school ...

What prevents a kid from telling everyone to stick it ... Not sign with anyone .... Flip burgers till he is 18 (or whatever the age is) and go wherever the heck he wants too?

I'd bet tomorrow's lunch money that every school in America would give this kid a scholarship next year if he sat in the corner and watched paint dry for 12 months.

Regardless of this young mans situation, I have always been disappointed when if "seems" like a kid is maneuvered by family members about where to go. That includes mom, dad and grandparents.

Kids should go where they want. In this situation, if it's UT, then good for this kid. I think AU and Gus is the no brainer when compared to UT ... But he did not solicit my advise.

I disagree, to some extent. We are talking about 17-18 year old kids. Yes that's right, kids who, in most cases, still desperately need their parents to assist them in important decisions.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't choose the good guys but at the same time, I won't discount any parental input on his decision. There could be a whole multitude of factors in play that we are not privy to.

If a kid is "forced" to sign with a school because a guardian won't sign the papers except for the guardians preferred school ...

What prevents a kid from telling everyone to stick it ... Not sign with anyone .... Flip burgers till he is 18 (or whatever the age is) and go wherever the heck he wants too?

I'd bet tomorrow's lunch money that every school in America would give this kid a scholarship next year if he sat in the corner and watched paint dry for 12 months.

It's 21 and not many people choose to flip boogers for 3 or 4 years.

It's 21 and not many people choose to flip boogers for 3 or 4 years.

Plus, who's going to pay him to pick his nose all day anyways?

Honest question: is it possible that we're making a bit too much of his preference for Auburn? As far as I can tell, that's all been reported second (and third, and fourth...) hand.

Further to that, I don't feel like his family circumstances are any of my business. It's not like he's had coaches competitively dancing at his grandfather's birthday party, as far as I can tell.

Edit: Heavy emphasis on "as far as I can tell". I can't tell very far.

Custody doesn't really hold up for a 17 year old as they can petition the court and say that they want to live with the other parent. So really we don't know the dynamics of his family. I just hope the kid gets to go where he wants to go...If it is AU then great if not then good luck to him unless he is playing AU...just my 2 cents...not worth much...

Honest question: is it possible that we're making a bit too much of his preference for Auburn? As far as I can tell, that's all been reported second (and third, and fourth...) hand.

John himself has been genuinely torn for about a month now.

John himself has been genuinely torn for about a month now.

Thanks, ellitor.

I disagree, to some extent. We are talking about 17-18 year old kids. Yes that's right, kids who, in most cases, still desperately need their parents to assist them in important decisions.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't choose the good guys but at the same time, I won't discount any parental input on his decision. There could be a whole multitude of factors in play that we are not privy to.

absolutely agree that a high school senior should receive solid objective guidance. I just hope it still allows the kid to make his own well informed decision. But you are right that the parents should provide oversight.

This is pressure i don't envy one bit. Too bad his mom and pop are split. Even worse they are making an already important and difficult decision more difficult. Whatever he does i hope both parents get on board for his sake.

Both Gus and Charlie Strong are solid men. Either coach would be good to play for, maybe better for a WR to choose Gus though.

Archived