Tuberville needs to find...

rexbo

This game went just like most all of Bama's losses this year. Early domination, inspired football, but not enough to put good teams away in the end. Guys, we argued and smack talked BG and Tidefan whenever they brought up the one thing they really could hang their hats on...a defense that is number one in the nation in most categories.

We just came off one of the biggest wins in AU history against UGA, went on the road in a hostile environment, against one of the best defenses in the nation and playing in the biggest rivalry in college football, period. We won!!!. And guess what, Trev Alberts just said, "I had em' number 1 going in and I still have em' number 1. They faced adversity and did what a championship team does."

WAR DAMN EAGLE.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

War Damn Eagle! Congratulations to CTT and the team. Close game - Glad we won. I am feeling better. We will beat :ut: ! I heard the AU team did not get to the stadium until 45 minutes before kick off - is that true? If so, it could explain the sluggish 1st quarter.

I thought we really needed to go down and get that score to make it 24 to 6 or 28 to 6 to make sure, absolutely sure, that this game didn't come down to the last minute, and having to recover an on-sides kick.  We were only up by 2 scores, and as Auburn showed in 1972, miracles do happen.  I am elated that we won, and that this team is 11-0 and SEC West Champions.  But I am just a little disappointed that this particular 'Bama team took probably Auburn's best team ever to the last minute.

124528[/snapback]

Rexbo,

When we scored the TD to go up 21-6, Alabama's offense averaged 12-yards per possession in their last 7 possessions. Other than their 1st possession and the turnover and punt return to put them in or close to the redzone, their offense had not been a threat to score a TD. I thought our final score was the nail in the coffin at the time because of the way we had shutdown their offense.

That was the key of the game, in my humble opinion. AUBURN'S defense DOMINATED. A good running team was held to under 50 TOTAL yards. THAT is DOMINATION.

Hats off to Coach "C" and the defense. We have the BEST defense in the Nation ! ! ! :au:

WAR EAGLE....O N E at a time. :au:

All I can say is.................... WAR DAMN EAGLE! LIFE IS GREAT!

11-0 and a shot at 12-0 and the SEC Champions. Then, let the chips fall where they may. You know UT is going to disect the UAT "D" and try to do the same to us that Bammer did, so we need to expect a tough game v/s UT. I think we win that game going away as well, but let's be happy about a third straight Iron Bowl win and a 11-0 regular season with wins over #3 LSU, #8 UT, and #5 UGA....and last but not least......BAMMER!

WARRRRRRRRRRRR EAGLE, HEY!

I joined this forum this year because there was not a bunch of whiners and complainers on here...I can't believe that people are trying now to find something to whine or "scowl" a bit!!! Go to another board and complain about going 11-0!

Give me a freaking break!!!!

Tuberville has coached us to 11-0. I'd call that a killer instinct. I don't see how anyone can complain about ANYTHING in the second half. I do think that UAT's coaching staff had a great plan to stop us but didn't have what it takes to pull it off. Way to go Tubs and staff!!!! :cheer:

I joined this forum this year because there was not a bunch of whiners and complainers on here...I can't believe that people are trying now to find something to whine or "scowl" a bit!!! Go to another board and complain about going 11-0!

124567[/snapback]

Well, we have a range of fans but most are level headed. Not like some AU boards.

It was said all week that Auburn really needed to win this one going away to have any shot of pulling in enough AP and Coaches votes to overcome the computer. Being oh so close to doing just that, and feeling like a National Championship is falling from our grasp, something that has come along about once a generation or less at Auburn, doesn't make us whiners or complainers. We KNOW Auburn is the best team in the country this year, the best set of coaches and the best players, and we want that shot in the Orange Bowl. Tell me how that is complaining? I got over being just happy about beating 'Bama in 1982, saw us robbed from an NC in 1983, now, I want to see us grab the whole enchilada.

Raven & rexbo, ... were you betting on this game or something? 

The win is more important than the MOV or the stats.  As long as we don't fumble or turn the ball over at the end, we win.  We didn't.  We gave up some meaningless yards in the stat column and won.  I'm glad at least CTT recognizes what the priority is. 

I said earlier in the year that the time for running up the score should have been against UK & Ole Miss because the remainder of the games wouldn't present the opportunity.  I still believe that.  UT in the SECCG & whichever bowl opponent won't be easy.  Enjoy the moment:  11-0.  :au: WDE

124515[/snapback]

Gambling is like the lottery... for people who don't understand math. Needless to say I didn't have anything riding on this game except the hope that AU would send a statement to the Coaches/ AP voters. When AU had the opportunity to send a message (remember we recruit against UAT :blink: ), score to make it 28-6, we chose not to. That MAY cost us some votes, that's the gist of it. What don't you understand about that?

124567[/snapback]

Where were you last year??? Gravytrainer.

Raven & rexbo, ... were you betting on this game or something? 

The win is more important than the MOV or the stats.  As long as we don't fumble or turn the ball over at the end, we win.  We didn't.  We gave up some meaningless yards in the stat column and won.  I'm glad at least CTT recognizes what the priority is. 

I said earlier in the year that the time for running up the score should have been against UK & Ole Miss because the remainder of the games wouldn't present the opportunity.  I still believe that.  UT in the SECCG & whichever bowl opponent won't be easy.  Enjoy the moment:  11-0.   :au: WDE

124515[/snapback]

Gambling is like the lottery... for people who don't understand math. Needless to say I didn't have anything riding on this game except the hope that AU would send a statement to the Coaches/ AP voters. When AU had the opportunity to send a message (remember we recruit against UAT :blink: ), score to make it 28-6, we chose not to. That MAY cost us some votes, that's the gist of it. What don't you understand about that?

124642[/snapback]

I have yet to read a post in this thread where anybody said they were not happy about being 11-0.

All of you "chips fall where they may" folks need to understand that if you can control any aspect of where that chip falls, you better do it. Tubs called off the dogs again when he should have made a statement. I am super happy about the win, but if you think this game was JUST about the win, then you misunderstand the position we are in. So as they say grab your ankles, and don't complain.

War Eagle and here's to all the voters getting it!

Holy mackeral. People complaining about being 11-0, beating Alabama, and heading to Atlanta.

Who is to say that if we tried to push for another 6 that we don't toss a pick and they run it all the way back for a TD and we no time is takin off the clock.

We had held their offense in check for the majority of the game, despite giving them the short field. Tuberville did show a killer instinct, we went for 4th down on our third touchdown instead of taking the three that would have made it a two score game also.

... I didn't have anything riding on this game except the hope that AU would send a statement to the Coaches/ AP voters. When AU had the opportunity to send a message (remember we recruit against UAT :blink: ), score to make it 28-6, we chose not to. That MAY cost us some votes, that's the gist of it. What don't you understand about that?

124642[/snapback]

Sorry, my bad. I agree that a 28-6 score would look better than a 21-13 score to the pollsters.

However, at the same time, I think it's nitpicking to complain about the conservative play that resulted in AU winning by 8. It wasn't a huge MOV win, but it was a SMART win on the road in a big rivalry game. As Stat as pointed out, the game was won with AU's 3rd TD as long as AU played smart the rest of the way and didn't do anything to beat themselves. uat would need a TD and PAT, onside kick recovery, another TD and a 2-pt conversion just to tie in regulation. The pressure was all on them to be perfect. Not surprisingly, they weren't. Pennington had a career game -- but AU didn't do a thing to help him win it. I'll take an 8-pt smart win in the Iron Bowl every year. :au: WDE

if we are going to ever play for a NC.  All season he has gone in a shell once he is up by 2 scores.  And now, 2 years in a row we have dominated Alabama statistically but the game still came down to an on-sides kick.  He could have taken that last drive down the field and won this going away...

124384[/snapback]

Ridiculous. Rexbo, I'm speculating here, but are you a short-timer? You're clearly a rabid AU fan, and have clearly been on this board for a long while, but how long have you been attending AU games? Are you in your late-twenties or early thirties? 'Cause that's the only explaination I can think of for such a sour post. (timing is everything, my Auburn friend)

Beating Bama 3 in a row, 4 out of the past five straight, preserving the win-streak at Jordan-Hare West.... JMO, but that's about as "killer" as it gets in this series and I've been watching it for more than 40 years. It just doesn't get any better than celebrating a perfect season on your archrival's turf. Wake up, bro' !

WarTim was right about the D. Bama dominated the first quarter, but the Auburn D dominated them - thoroughly. Though AU failed to score in the 2nd, it was all-Auburn from the 2nd quarter on.

autorbor-dansby.jpg

Only someone stupid would make such a statement as "he needs to develop the killer instinct" in a game like the Bama game. This game has been decided by 10 points or less since 1969 and they the bammers had played their butts off. It was a trap we escaped and it took everything we had to pull this one off. I was at the game and the bammer nation was "pumped" and our team was a little surprized by the noise and determination shown in the first half, not to mention the drizzle. Trust me, we did as well as we could and came back when it counted. Just my opinion! WDE!

Ridiculous.  Rexbo, I'm speculating here, but are you a short-timer?

I showed up at Auburn the same year as Pat Dye, I am no short timer. But I am past the attitude that any win over 'Bama makes the entire Auburn season. If beating 'Bama is all it takes to have a great season, we will never get that NC. As long as the coaches, players and fans view 'Bama as some unconqeruable foe, one we are ecstatic to beat by one point no matter how horrible they are, we will keep showing up and playing in the first half like we did yesterday.

As to my criticism of Tuberville, it is a very small nit pick, most coaches go that conservative route when they are in a position to win. More often than not, especially in rivalry game, that conservative choice keeps the other team in it because they are not going to give up when they are within 2 scores. IF, and I know it is a big if and a risky one, we put that last drive in to the end zone, this 'Bama team would have rolled over, we could have celebrated not just a win over our #1 foe, but a humiliation of him. (Maybe that's it, maybe I take this game much more serious than you all, and want to see the stake driven through their heart.) Anyway, War Eagle and let's hope the love we are seeing from most of the articles pays off in some more #2 and #1 votes.

My two cents. If someone had told you on September 1 that Auburn would be 11-0, would beat LSU (defending NC), would beat TN by 24 in Knoxville, would lead AR by 30 in the second quarter and call off the dogs, would beat GA by 18 only because they got a cheap one at the end when it should have been 24 and then Auburn fans would actually be complaining about only beating AL by 8 in Tuscaloosa because TT got conservative when he could have put up a couple more scores in the second half, would you not have thought that person was totally delusional. This season is the true Auburn fan's wildest wet dream come true! Lets quit worrying about the BCS and enjoy it! :cheer:

My two cents.  If someone had told you on September 1 that Auburn would be 11-0, would beat LSU (defending NC), would beat TN by 24 in Knoxville, would lead AR by 30 in the second quarter and call off the dogs, would beat GA by 18 only because they got a cheap one at the end when it should have been 24 and then Auburn fans would actually be complaining about only beating AL by 8 in Tuscaloosa because TT got conservative when he could have put up a couple more scores in the second half, would you not have thought that person was totally delusional.  This season is the true Auburn fan's wildest wet dream come true!  Lets quit worrying about the BCS and enjoy it!  :cheer:

124761[/snapback]

There is my choice for the best post in this thread!

:cheer::au::cheer::au::cheer::au::cheer::au:

Holy mackeral.  People complaining about being 11-0, beating Alabama, and heading to Atlanta.

Who is to say that if we tried to push for another 6 that we don't toss a pick and they run it all the way back for a TD and we no time is takin off the clock.

We had held their offense in check for the majority of the game, despite giving them the short field.  Tuberville did show a killer instinct, we went for 4th down on our third touchdown instead of taking the three that would have made it a two score game also.

124689[/snapback]

Who complained about being 11-0??? Save the drama.

Coulda, woulda.. maybe we should have not thrown the ball at all in the second half for fear of an interception. Right??? :blink::blink: Auburn controlled UAT in the second half and could have scored another TD with minimal risk. I'm no saying throw the ball down the field. Run, to eat clock, and pass when necessary. After we picked up that 1st down (on the second to last drive) we ran 3 straight times into the line. That is ultra conservative, and too early for my tastes. That's what I have been critical of Tubby about in the past, playing not to lose. This is the first time that I have seen that old Tubby mentality this season.

:au:

There was what, between 3-4 minutes left when we did that with over a two touchdown lead. I don't exactly call that playing not to lose, especially since our D had been stuffing them for a majority of the night. If they would have done that after the second touchdown then yes, playing not to lose.

No drama, I just can't beleive that its a complaint. That one touchdown is not gonna be what gets us in or out of the BCS, just like OU throwing a TD pass against Kanas with 35 seconds left is not what is going to get them in or out of the BCS.

There was what, between 3-4 minutes left when we did that with over a two touchdown lead.  I don't exactly call that playing not to lose, especially since our D had been stuffing them for a majority of the night.  If they would have done that after the second touchdown then yes, playing not to lose.

No drama, I just can't beleive that its a complaint.  That one touchdown is not gonna be what gets us in or out of the BCS, just like OU throwing a TD pass against Kanas with 35 seconds left is not what is going to get them in or out of the BCS.

124797[/snapback]

AU's possession started at 8:46 left in the 4th quarter. PLENTY of time still left on the clock.

There was what, between 3-4 minutes left when we did that with over a two touchdown lead.  I don't exactly call that playing not to lose, especially since our D had been stuffing them for a majority of the night.  If they would have done that after the second touchdown then yes, playing not to lose.

No drama, I just can't beleive that its a complaint.  That one touchdown is not gonna be what gets us in or out of the BCS, just like OU throwing a TD pass against Kanas with 35 seconds left is not what is going to get them in or out of the BCS.

124797[/snapback]

AU's possession started at 8:46 left in the 4th quarter. PLENTY of time still left on the clock.

124942[/snapback]

Why start a hydraulic urinary competition over this? The game is over & done with. The score isn't going to change. The polls are out now and they haven't changed appreciably from last week. The BCS rankings on Monday won't change either as a result. It's come down to this: AU has to win in Atlanta & either SC or OU has to lose one of their remaining games for AU to get to the OB. And that really hasn't changed from the begining of the season either.

The BCS is terribly flawed and everyone knows it. The question of what to do with 3 or more undefeated major conference teams has been hanging around since the inception of the BCS. Because it hasn't happened yet, most people have been content to ignore or dismiss the possibility.

I've got nothing against either SC or OU. Both are great teams. But to say either one or both is better than AU without seeing them play on the field approaches the type of delusion you see in your typical bammie fan. The only fair way to crown a true NC is through a playoff of the top teams. Period. I have been extremely skeptical of polls since #5 Miami jumped #3 AU at the conclusion of the '83 season.

AU has one course left: beat UT in Atlanta & whichever team they are matched up against in their bowl game. Full speed ahead -- 13-0 is the goal. Bust the BCS wide open & let the chips fall where they may. :au: WDE

In playing out the 4th quarter the way CTT did was to insure as much as possible against giving up the ball for an easy touchdown to UA and increasing the likelihood for a defeat... he was guarding against conditions on a sloppy field turning against us. Le's be careful and not become like the 1992 Bama bunch that thought Stallings wins were not pretty and some few years later would have given anything to have him back. We have things good at AU and winning at least the AP championship is not out of the picture until after the bowl games.

War Eagle

Archived