Shula The Right Coach???

AUesquire

Let me take this in another direction. I have read countless posts tonight concerning the heart of the Bama players and I totally agree with each and every one. They play with fire and courage and injuries as much as anything has depleted their depth. BUT, despite the injuries, scholly reductions etc. I'd be raising holy hell if I was a Bama fan.

What is up with the play calling on offense? As an Auburn fan, I watched them run the ball up the middle about 27 times in a row and just said, "Thank you." Against LSU in all situations where they desperately needed to get something going they continuously handed the ball off between the tackles. I know Pennington is 3rd string but what does it take for him to become experienced enough for the coaches to call a toss sweep? Wouldn't Darby be better served if he could get on the corner? Does he not have the ability to throw a swing pass to a back? Do they not even have a screen in their playbook?

I'd like to hear from Bama fans about their feelings toward this coaching staff. It's the 11th game of the season and this looks exactly like what I expected when Shula came in on short notice last year with 3 weeks to put in an offense. Their defense plays their asses off and the offensive coaches stab em' in the back and give em' no chance to win. Just my opinion and as an AU fan, I hope they keep it up :big: But, injuries or not, I'd be pissed with this staff if I was a Bama fan.

I'll say this, the coaching staff at Alabama has gotten more results from seemingly lesser talent. I'd keek 'em, at least one more year.

Actually, the swing pass out of the backfield was one of our most effective plays until Castille went down. LeRon McClain and Ken Darby both were playing with hurt ankles, along with Britt. In my opinion, calling sweeps or counter plays would put more stress on their ankles than just running up the middle, because they have to rely on cutback lanes. Either way, we were not going to run tonight. AU's defense made sure of that. I like the wishbone that was thrown in even though it wasn't effective. I liked how Spencer was tossing it around a lot better tonight than he ever has. The play selection was close between passes and runs. Most bama fans(including myself) didn't think UA had a chance in this game. I can't complain.

Something that my neighbor mentioned, a big uat fan, is that conditioning of uat players is terrible. Didn't shula fire a good S&C coach to hire one of his "buddies"?

Guys, I didn't say they weren't playing with injuries and without heart etc. And yes, they've gotten a lot out of them. But are you telling me they don't have more in their playbook than a run up the middle??? And they're not running wide or throwing a screen pass or passing to the tight end or a slant pattern or....because it puts stress on their ankles??? :D:D:D

And they're not running wide or throwing a screen pass or passing to the tight end or a slant pattern or....because it puts stress on their ankles??? :D  :D  :D

124557[/snapback]

The screen pass calls for the O line to get out front and block. I don't think it would be very smart for Britt to be running down field on a bum ankle. I didn't say anything about the slant pattern, I said the sweep causes the runningbacks to cut hard and that's hard to do on a wet field and sprained ankle. I think there was one sweep play all night and it was by a guy who hasn't had but 5 touches all year. I'm not mad about our playcalling. I wished we could have punched it in when we got inside the 10, but AU has only allowed ONE rushing td all year. The one time we did try to pass on the goal line, it was intercepted. Shula realized that we needed points on the board, even if it was three.

The credit for this game goes to Al Borges. The adjustments he made at the half were very good. The fake option pass play was beautifully called and executed. We played quite possibly the best AU team ever down to the wire with far less talent. I'm not going to gripe about coaching. If there is anything a bama fan should be pissed about, it's stupid boosters with more money than brains. They have cost this University far more than any coach on this staff has.

Also, we did have three screen plays to the receivers if I'm not mistaken, we just didn't have any to the runningbacks.

Esquire, I agree with you. When the announcer said that UAT would run three times in a row after they got the ball on our 6 yard line I sid "I hope they do." Sure enough, they did and we dodged a big bullet.

I think Shula is absolutley the right choice. His offensive playcalling (albeit conservative) had us in a position to win the game. We just didnt execute. The snap over pro's head killed us on one drive in the redzone. Trent davidson's false start hurt us in another. Tyrone dropped a 4th and 6 on the 5 that would have been absolutely HUUUUUGE.

Down a lot of key players, to be in a position to win if you just follow through on execution is all you can ask of a coach.

I think Kines is the best Coach on the Team by far. The team has done well with what it has. Shula is showing more emotion although it probably doesn't need to be shown on camera to often. (Potty mouth) I think I saw him say F@#$ing "B" 3 or 4 times which isn't a positive image but that is another story. I wish college coaches would at least get to have 4 years so they could have a Senior Class although some situations aren't always going to work.

When you look at Bama's injuries on "paper", reality hits you smack in the face.

Quarterback

Brodie Croyle - Starter, Injured, out

Marc Guillon - No. 2, Injured, available but not playing

Spencer Pennington - No. 3, Injured, starting

Tailback

Ray Hudson - Starter, Injured, out

Tim Castille - No. 2, Injured, out

Kenneth Darby - No. 3, Injured, starting

Fullback

Tim Castille - Starter, Injured, out

LaRon McCLain - No. 2, Injured, starting

This is not to take away from Auburn's big win as I've posted my congratulations elsewhere. Injuries are a part of football, but they sometimes dictate what you can do on the field. I've wondered about toss sweeps all year. We ran one tonight and Darby gained about 8 yards. I felt the play calling got a bit too conservative in the second half. As to Shula, I like him, but time will tell. I don't think we ought to panic at this point. The thing Bama needs most right now is consistency and stability in the coaching staff. Shula and crew needs to stay around for a couple more years anyway.

Congrats again on your win. Glad we could make a game of it. Hope you rip UT in Atlanta.

I thought it was Josh Smith who got the toss sweep play.

TF24, it very well may have been Smith (there's a 3rd string FB, btw) on the toss sweep. I'm old, blind, and senile. :blink: Still, the play gained yardage, but I think we only ran it once.

Again...did you not see us score a TD in the 4th AAAAAAND missed a first and goal on the five because of a dropped pass?

We could nitpick all day long...but if you dont think bama could have won this if a couple of things had gone their way...you are kidding yourself.

He had you in position to score in the first quarter.

124603[/snapback]

Hmmm. I do remember going for it on 4th and 4 in the redzone in the 4th quarter. We also scored in the 4th. Combine that with the three redzone trips in the first and that's five legitament scoring chances. That would have been more than enough to have a chance at this game. Don't try to pretend like AU blew UA out of the water. You guys won, as you should have, but not by a blowout.

Again...did you not see us score a TD in the 4th AAAAAAND missed a first and goal on the five because of a dropped pass?

We could nitpick all day long...but if you dont think bama could have won this if a couple of things had gone their way...you are kidding yourself.

124606[/snapback]

Sure UAT could have won if several things had gone their way, but after we went ahead 7-6, I did not ever see UAT in a position to win. I only saw them in a position to score a TD, then get an onside kick, then score another TD, then get a two point conversion, then score in OT, then keep us from scoring. If you consider that as being in a position to win then, yeah, you were in it.

Whatever tax dude. You're right. Bama didn't have a chance to win after the first quarter.

We had some back-up players in the game for that drive, but they were our usual substitutes. That was our first team D, they just didn't look like it. Gilbert has been playing for the last few games.

I think Shula is absolutley the right choice. His offensive playcalling (albeit conservative) had us in a position to win the game.

In a position to win what game?

124594[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly. But, bg is nothing if not consistant. Excuses, excuses, excuses. (and some MORE excuses.)

Really sad to see that some still can't accept defeat when it hits them in the nose. Oh well, 11 & 0 and to Hotlanta we go ! ! ! !

WAR EAGLE ! ! !...O N E at a time. :au:

Archived