2014 3* JUCO DT Dalvon Stuckey (Arizona State signee)

ellitor

This could be a huge leap, but I've had a sneaking thought that Garner isn't positive Jeff Whitaker is coming back 100%. Knee injuries on interior lineman can take longer to deal with than skill players. If Jeff isn't 100%, then we're going to need bodies inside.

Looking at next season, the DTs with prior experience are:

Wright (Sr), Blackson (Sr), Whitaker (Sr), Bradley (Jr), Adams (So), and possibly Daniel (So)

If there's even a possibility that Whitaker is less than 100%, we've got a spot in the rotation (since we rotate six guys at the two interior line spots). Stuckey and Lawrence are more likely to have an immediate impact than any true freshman. Given that, I have no problem bringing in guys that are game ready at a position with holes in the rotation. Daniel could continue to provide a swing player at DE/DT or he could move inside full-time. Basically, bringing in potential playmakers at DT that are game ready gives us some leeway to use guys in a variety of ways.

I'm really excited to have Stuckey in the fold.

Garner wants 6 quality in rotation at minimum.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like his size and hope he plays with an attitude. Welcome and War Eagle!

Just looking at his pic....I think this is entirely possible. :)

Can someone speak to our depth at DT - I'm excited we've got him, but curious about still going after JuCos - and on that note, how many do we have in this class thus far? TIA

Just from the opinions shared on this thread, it seems that Coach Garner thinks the world of Stuckey's talent. So maybe that speaks less to a lack of depth on our part and more to the thought that, "Hey, there's a stud available and we can get him, so we are going to"? Also, if I'm not mistaken, DL is a "plug and play" position. It doesn't require a lot of experience in a particular system, building a rapport with your position mates, etc. So streaming "1-2 and done" guys who come in at college football size and fitness might not be as detrimental to your overall team growth as it could be at other positions.

I stand to be corrected on all of the above.

Especially if you consider the policy of playing a lot of people.

How about production from some of the less heralded guys that are already here: President, Nero, Harrell, Delaine, etc.?

Happy to have talented guys who really want to play Auburn football. His productivity has been down. Possibly due to double teaming, but scuttlebutt is that he takes plays off. I'm sure RG can motivate him, if that's the case.

I'm more concerned about the LB situation.

Happy to have talented guys who really want to play Auburn football. His productivity has been down. Possibly due to double teaming, but scuttlebutt is that he takes plays off. I'm sure RG can motivate him, if that's the case.

I have read stuckley played a lot of DE this year and is not a DE which results in the lower production

Yep. We need four good prospects and so far have only two committed. I suppose one could consider Moncrief a LB, which would give us three, but LB is the worst position on our team as far as talent and depth is concerned. LB needs a serious upgrade and signing just two or three won't get that job done. Four should be the acceptable minimum and they need to be four outstanding prospects.

I agree with the concern at LB, so am I to a degree. I feel if we can get a dominate D line then that would free the LBs to make plays. I feel the LBs we have plus the ones we have coming in would be fine(yes even Holland, as hard as that was for me to type, lol). Thats all little nicky does, get big d lineman to occupy space so the LBs can run free.. jmo... :happydance:

Guest jojo1515

I agree with the concern at LB, so am I to a degree. I feel if we can get a dominate D line then that would free the LBs to make plays. I feel the LBs we have plus the ones we have coming in would be fine(yes even Holland, as hard as that was for me to type, lol). Thats all little nicky does, get big d lineman to occupy space so the LBs can run free.. jmo... :happydance:/>

Though it was hard to type, Holland won't be here next year...he is a sr.

That guy looks like a beast!! We will need him to be one: I am so happy with this year's team, and am getting giddy thinking about who will be playing for us next year!!! We are truly on the verge of our own dynasty IMO.

• 1 month later...

Archived