Where was CAP?

berrytgr

Where was Cameron Artis-Payne tonight? Mason got 32 carries and CAP only 2? Anybody know why? Did he get hurt and I missed it?

He apparently played on special teams earlier in the game too but I don't know. Consensus during the game from Auburn beat guys was that there wasn't any particular issue (injury, discipline, etc.). Maybe just a flow of the game thing? Strange

Feel like Gus has been very conservative in his calling, not wanting to give anyone more information about the team. Not sure if this is somehow part of it, but it did seem like the same 2-3 plays were run everytime.

Watching Mason go for 168 & 4 TDs on those pigs. ;)/>

I told my husband that you just never know what our offense is going to look like cause it has changed every week. The run game is the consistency, but who will be the go to changes every week. Sometimes it is all 3, sometimes 2, & tonight Mason was able to shine his brightest. Next week may be different. I kinda love that unpredictability, except on my fantasy team lol.

Feel like Gus has been very conservative in his calling, not wanting to give anyone more information about the team. Not sure if this is somehow part of it, but it did seem like the same 2-3 plays were run everytime.

Yep was interesting....here was Arky with a former Big 10 coach running all manner of "trick" plays, on sides kick, HB passes, etc....and tricky Auburn was just playing "normal" football and cramming the ball down Arky's throat. Makes you wonder doesn't it? :-\

I told my husband that you just never know what our offense is going to look like cause it has changed every week. The run game is the consistency, but who will be the go to changes every week. Sometimes it is all 3, sometimes 2, & tonight Mason was able to shine his brightest. Next week may be different. I kinda love that unpredictability, except on my fantasy team lol.

Yep, and not knowing which O is gonna show is exactly why Gus does what he does. On another y'all, Mason was rolling tonight and there was no reason to screw around with it. Gus was conservative tonight because he could be. No need to dig in to the bag 'o tricks for no reason.

I said the same thing in another thread. I think Mason did extremely well, but I think

CAP may have helped a lot tonight as a different look. Still very glad we won away from home and won by 18.

Tre was making over 5 yards on average every carry. The only concern would be getting him hurt.

Auburn took out Arky with the basic running game based on Tre.

"When you can give the ball to Tre 32 times and he averages over five yards per carry, that's a really good night," Horton said. "The most important thing was taking care of the football, and we were able to do that and win the game."The credit, first and foremost, needs to go to the offensive line.

Link

Tre played like Tre always plays, like a stud. We need to rest him, but this game was never out of hand enough to do that. We had a game plan that did not work out like we wanted. It worked out just fine, but no one wants Tre to rush the ball 32 times a game with Cap and Grant there. We just had too much talent, but the gameplan did not work out like we had hoped and we put way too much on Tre. He came though tho.

Well...he has said if something is working he'll continue to go to it. I don't have an issue with that as long as it IS working. I like a little variety myself when it comes to the offense but i don't have an issue with it if it's working. I only have an issue with it when it's not working and we don't make adjustments and Gus may choose to be hard headed and not change things up.

Where was Cameron Artis-Payne tonight? Mason got 32 carries and CAP only 2? Anybody know why? Did he get hurt and I missed it?

Here is a recruiting twist as to possible why Tre is getting the load. Thus of us who follow recruiting know that at some point Bama will make a strong run at trying to flip our 5* commit Roc Thomas. Maybe Coach Malzahn is in essense saying at the end of the year, Hey Roc. Look at Mason. He has 1500-1600 yards rushing and 17-19 TDs rushing. If you stick with us you could have 2000 yards and over 20 TDs.

Here is a recruiting twist as to possible why Tre is getting the load. Thus of us who follow recruiting know that at some point Bama will make a strong run at trying to flip our 5* commit Roc Thomas. Maybe Coach Malzahn is in essense saying at the end of the year, Hey Roc. Look at Mason. He has 1500-1600 yards rushing and 17-19 TDs rushing. If you stick with us you could have 2000 yards and over 20 TDs.

No inside knowledge, but just a thought on this topic. To follow up on E's post, it is possible that Tre has told Gus that he wants to declare for the NFL draft after this season. Being a running back in the SEC and NFL is a tough job physically, and Tre is having a great season. It could be time to cash out. If this is true, then Gus may be giving the ball to Tre to allow him to shine and go high in the draft. While I would hate losing Tre for his senior year, it would probably be good for AU recruiting to show that Gus' offense can allow talented running backs to go high in the draft after their junior year.

No inside knowledge, but just a thought on this topic. To follow up on E's post, it is possible that Tre has told Gus that he wants to declare for the NFL draft after this season. Being a running back in the SEC and NFL is a tough job physically, and Tre is having a great season. It could be time to cash out. If this is true, then Gus may be giving the ball to Tre to allow him to shine and go high in the draft. While I would hate losing Tre for his senior year, it would probably be good for AU recruiting to show that Gus' offense can allow talented running backs to go high in the draft after their junior year.

Good point. It's really a win-win either way IMO.

Time of possession was so slanted toward ARK. in the first half Tre didn't have time to get tired. Keeping him in keeps him in rhythm somewhat is my guess.

My guess is that Tre wanted the ball, told Coach Horton and Coach Malzahn he wanted the ball, and proved all night that he wanted the ball. Don't fix it if it ain't broke!!

Tre was talking on twitter last week about going for 200 yards against Arky. He came up a little shy, but I think the 4 TDs made up for it.

I also agree that Gus was hell bent on not showing any more than we had to for our next three opponents. He saw that we could beat Arky running only 8-9 different plays, running straight at them. Gus's motto is "I'm going to continue running it until you can stop it.". Arky was weighed and measured, and they were found wanting.

Archived