Jameis Winston investigated for sexual assault?

AUDub

Do we still think the REC was behind the Winston rape allegation?

Just curious if folks still think the dude is innocent and the whole thing was created by the REC...........

I don't think anyone thought it was created by the REC or Urban, since it was a real case. However, it's hard to call it a coincidence that it was brought out in the open when it potentially benefited those two teams and promptly disappeared immediately after the benefit was no longer there.

Alabama was firmly planted at #1, they didn't need FSU to lose, so why manufacture the story? We now think the REC didn't think Alabama could win, yet we smash them daily because they think they are always unbeatable. Once Alabama lost, they desperately needed FSU to lose because if they had, Auburn and Alabama would have been in the title game. So the logic doesn't really make sense, but then again, neither does the entire subject we're talking about lol

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious if folks still think the dude is innocent and the whole thing was created by the REC...........

I don't think anyone thought it was created by the REC or Urban, since it was a real case. However, it's hard to call it a coincidence that it was brought out in the open when it potentially benefited those two teams and promptly disappeared immediately after the benefit was no longer there.

Alabama was firmly planted at #1, they didn't need FSU to lose, so why manufacture the story? We now think the REC didn't think Alabama could win, yet we smash them daily because they think they are always unbeatable. Once Alabama lost, they desperately needed FSU to lose because if they had, Auburn and Alabama would have been in the title game. So the logic doesn't really make sense, but then again, neither does the entire subject we're talking about lol

It makes sense that bama thought they were going to win out wanted to play a far inferior Ohio State instead of a challenging Florida State. It make A LOT more sense that Urban wanted in and didn't think either team ahead of him would lose. In any case, all it takes is one fan with a media connection and a bit of flawed logic to set things like this in motion. Whether the coaches/schools support fans like that is up for interpretation.

+1

Someone on the AU board called posters that try to reason with that line of thinking "The Tin Foil Fringe". Seems appropriate, doesn't it? :lol:

Could someone please tell me what the REC is? I am not trying to be difficult or anything that way. I just must have missed out on something.

The Red Elephant Club....deep pocketed UAT boosters that could (and do?) influence the world around them and Bammer.

While I'm not a consipracy theorist, as I grow older (and hopefully!) wiser, I realize that few things in the world are completely coincidental. Politicians appear from nowhere to be elected into influential positions, etc. Is life really a series of random events? Do some things "just happen"? Does the Illuminati actually exist, etc.?

The timing of the Can Newton story becoming public in 2010? Coincidence? AU looks like they are going to make a run at the SEC Championship and all of a sudden an investigation that is months old comes to light. Johnny Manziel being investigated? Coincidence? TA&M beats UAT last year and is picked to be a team to compete for the SEC West this year. Jamies Winston story coming out? Coincidence? Some teams needed FSU to lose to either have an easier path (or a path at all) to an NC. Or maybe all of that "just happened"?

If this did happen, I hope justice will be served some day. I would hate to know that my Tigers played on the same field with a rapist that got away with it. I know Nick had some issues in his past, but he has done his best to stay on the straight and narrow. I respect Nick Marshall 110% and know he will bring us back to the NC in 2014. I think 2014 will be Winstons last in that he will go pro.

If this did happen, I hope justice will be served some day. I would hate to know that my Tigers played on the same field with a rapist that got away with it. I know Nick had some issues in his past, but he has done his best to stay on the straight and narrow. I respect Nick Marshall 110% and know he will bring us back to the NC in 2014. I think 2014 will be Winstons last in that he will go pro.

Obviously you aren't aware of the accused rapists/sexual assaults/drug dealers/drug users/total thugs and other morally reprohensive issues that our Auburn Tigers have played on the same field with in the past.... Jeremy Hill/Zack Mettenburger/Courtney Upshaw/Rolando McClain/Jordan Jefferson/Jimmy Johns, etc. Hell, Tennessee had a player that raped his own cousin with a plunger before he ever donned the orange & white uniform to play for the Vols. Sports are full of thugs just being thugs and life goes on.

The REC didn't create this story. What they did was make it all public and get it reopened at the time when they needed it to be public. McCarrion's Heisman chances would be greatly enhanced and UAT's degree of ease in winning the BCS game would be equally enhanced by Winston's being declared ineligible.. Once they lost the Iron Bowl both incentives went away and so the story was allowed to go away.

Were this an isolated incident I'd accuse myself of going 'round the bend. However, irrefutable evidence of frequent similar instances going back to at least 1954 tells a reasonable person that this is another example of "same ol' same 'ol". They've done similar things before and they'll do similar things again. It's how the Tahd rolls.

Anyone that really thinks the REC is responsible for what happened with JW needs to get some help for their paranoia issues. I have no doubt that the REC helps bama with the occasional recruit and may have had a hand in some of the troubles we have seen over the years. But some of you folks make the REC into an organization that the Illuminati should be scared of.

The REC didn't create this story. What they did was make it all public and get it reopened at the time when they needed it to be public. McCarrion's Heisman chances would be greatly enhanced and UAT's degree of ease in winning the BCS game would be equally enhanced by Winston's being declared ineligible.. Once they lost the Iron Bowl both incentives went away and so the story was allowed to go away.

Were this an isolated incident I'd accuse myself of going 'round the bend. However, irrefutable evidence of frequent similar instances going back to at least 1954 tells a reasonable person that this is another example of "same ol' same 'ol". They've done similar things before and they'll do similar things again. It's how the Tahd rolls.

Spot on mikey, spot on! They would have assured themselves with another easy championship game, except there was 1 problem; they had to play Auburn! If anybody can't see how that transpired then like the old saying goes "GOD takes care of kids and Fools"

Anyone that really thinks the REC is responsible for what happened with JW needs to get some help for their paranoia issues. I have no doubt that the REC helps bama with the occasional recruit and may have had a hand in some of the troubles we have seen over the years. But some of you folks make the REC into an organization that the Illuminati should be scared of.

So naive.

So naive.

I'd rather be naive than paranoid about our rivals all-powerful booster club. But I guess that is what I get for coming here. Message boards are the perfect haven for conspiracy theorists.

Here are some excerpts from what should be required viewing for those fighting the REC

Just click on my user name and you will see my profile. I don't hide my name or age.

What exactly happened concerning an Auburn Athlete, And encyclopedias. I think I read something about that.

I recall that incident, but it's been too long ago to remember the details with 100% certainty. Seems like some "friendly" encyclopedia salesman gave a recruit's family a set of encyclopedias. Then the NCAA's investigators did an in-house visit in response to a whistleblower and the family had no receipt for the books so the NCAA nailed AU for providing illegal benefits. Years later it turned out it was a setup and the "salesman" was a bammer booster.

Another great example is in the book "Shug, Auburn's Coach Jordan". A recruits' dad was a bootlegger, made lots of money at it and bought his son furniture and a boat while he was a freshman at AU. UAT turned it into the NCAA, claiming that Auburn paid for those things. The NCAA believed the bammers because the guy's dad was a mailman on his day job and "couldn't have possibly afforded those things". We got four years probation and a bowl ban out of that one. There are more instances, those are just two that come to mind.

And so it's gone for over 50 years. Anybody that doesn't want to believe facts, don't believe them and call those of us with knowledge conspiracy theorists. War Eagle anyway.

PS: In recent years we've learned to watch the turds and learned to defend ourselves better. 30 years ago we'd have done time on the Cam Newton thing, even though we were innocent of wrongdoing in the matter. We've received sanctions for things similar to and even less damning than Danny Sheridan's ridiculous statements, but we're smarter now and in the information age the NCAA can't dance to UAT's tune as they did in years past.

I'll agree with berrytgr, the REC conspiracies are often rather thin and ridiculous.

Read the post previous to yours.

What exactly happened concerning an Auburn Athlete, And encyclopedias. I think I read something about that.

I recall that incident, but it's been too long ago to remember the details with 100% certainty. Seems like some "friendly" encyclopedia salesman gave a recruit's family a set of encyclopedias. Then the NCAA's investigators did an in-house visit in response to a whistleblower and the family had no receipt for the books so the NCAA nailed AU for providing illegal benefits. Years later it turned out it was a setup and the "salesman" was a bammer booster.

Another great example is in the book "Shug, Auburn's Coach Jordan". A recruits' dad was a bootlegger, made lots of money at it and bought his son furniture and a boat while he was a freshman at AU. UAT turned it into the NCAA, claiming that Auburn paid for those things. The NCAA believed the bammers because the guy's dad was a mailman on his day job and "couldn't have possibly afforded those things". We got four years probation and a bowl ban out of that one. There are more instances, those are just two that come to mind.

And so it's gone for over 50 years. Anybody that doesn't want to believe facts, don't believe them and call those of us with knowledge conspiracy theorists. War Eagle anyway.

PS: In recent years we've learned to watch the turds and learned to defend ourselves better. 30 years ago we'd have done time on the Cam Newton thing, even though we were innocent of wrongdoing in the matter. We've received sanctions for things similar to and even less damning than Danny Sheridan's ridiculous statements, but we're smarter now and in the information age the NCAA can't dance to UAT's tune as they did in years past.

Despite what I just posted, I don't doubt the history of it.

What I doubt is the REC's degree of modern influence, and being behind things like Newton or Winston. For one, they don't need to do it. Newton's checkered past all but assured reporters that there would be some skeletons that they could dig up to make a hit-piece while he's in the spotlight. Winston's probably required even less digging on their part. There are enough reporters out there that thrive on that kind of story that you already know they're going to be looking for it anyway, and they'll be better at finding it than REC boosters. It's not the REC, it's just the nature of journalism.

Ultimately, it comes down to the same point I often make when discussing Newton with anyone other than fellow Auburn folks, people that are always convinced that we got away with something despite the NCAA's colonoscopy. If Auburn has people in our corner that are that good at covering something up, then they have clearly missed out on a promising career in black ops. The same holds true with the REC. It was much easier for the REC to do things like that (and keep them largely quiet) in the era prior to the 90's.

Then you don't expect some unsubstantiated rumor concerning Auburn to pop up in the several days before signing day the first week of February? I will be shocked if such a rumor doesn't make the media rounds, but that's just ol' paranoid me! :)

Mikey, you gave some good examples of possible REC shenanigans, just a little short on the details. Those things happened before most of us were around. I have seen some good posts by IronTiger on ITAT that gives good details on the events. Most of what you wrote was about the recruit/player named Don Fuell and our 1958 probation. Supposedly the NCAA didn't even give Fuell or us a chance to defend ourselves and had their penalties ready when we walked into the room in Atlanta.

The most recent and concrete REC activity against us had to be Eric Ramsey and his tape recordings. I thought at first the REC were fueling the Cam saga but I firmly believe now that was mostly Urban Myer and an out of control media. As SVP once said on ESPN radio, the only thing the media loves more than a unknown star rising to the top is watching him fall in disgrace.

The story with JW and the REC conspiracies is an example of us being paranoid. The REC is not pushing that story because bama was scared of FSU. That is a case of a girl, her family, and her lawyer seeking justice after JW becomes famous. They contacted the right people/media and got that case brought into the limelight. OR more likely setting themselves up for a much more winnable civil trial and monetary reward when they sue Winston in the future.

Then you don't expect some unsubstantiated rumor concerning Auburn to pop up in the several days before signing day the first week of February? I will be shocked if such a rumor doesn't make the media rounds, but that's just ol' paranoid me! :)

Sure, and I expect it to go about as far as other unsubstantiated rumors go (which is nowhere). That is also quite different than Newton or Winston's cases were, and also different from executing an NCAA frame-up job. I don't doubt that they have a motive, especially in recruiting, but thinking they were behind those cases is rather absurd. Reporters were already looking, and they're better at finding what they're looking for. For lack of a better way to put it, the REC didn't bring anything to the table in those cases.

I think Shug mentioned that this incident really broke his spirit. The constant harangue wore him down and this was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back. Especially since there was so little evidence and his team was hit so hard.

Archived