Can we please please please fire Barbee?

DyeHardAllTheWay

This has to be the worst period of Auburn basketball or maybe of any basketball team in the SEC that I've ever seen. It's a complete disgrace to the university and serious action needs to be taken immediately to take out the garbage.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Run the numbers and it is a fact that Barbee's teams are the worst ever to suit up for Auburn. Why he wasn't fired after last season only JJ knows. Maybe after football season ends Barbee can be fired and Rhett Lashlee can be named interim BB coach. He couldn't do any worse.

Who would we go after? I'd love to get a big name coach

how bout an alumni and former NBA assistant coach Chuck Person that's my vote idk where he is now though

coaching overseas in Asia last I heard

I don't think it will matter. I am convinced no one can win at Auburn in basketball.

I don't think it will matter. I am convinced no one can win at Auburn in basketball.

Because we keep hiring young, flavor of the year coaches like Lebo and Barbee were. We need an older, more seasoned coach like the Jim Larranaga hire at Miami.

Bruce Pearl....he will not longer be bound by the NCAA clause after this season.

Just don't let him have a few players over for a BBQ....

We didn't have to scrape the bottom of the ethics barrel to hire a good footbal coach, I see no reason to hire a cheater to run the basketball program.

What's the over/under this year on "fire Barbee" threads?

I'll probably be guilty of 3 of them so let's set it at 5.5?

Oh I'll take the over all day long then :)

I didn't renew my season tickets this year, because I have developed a pathological dislike for Tony Barbee and didn't feel like driving one hour each way to support his incompetence. Now they called me several times to try and talk me into renewing. I told them, not this year and they wanted to know why. I went into all the stuff about the players leaving, the progressive degeneration of the program, yadda, yadda, yadda. I told them Tony Barbee should have been fired last year and his response was that AU had to replace both a football coach and a baseball coach and it would not have been good to replace all three coaches of the top three sports in the same year. But he did concede Barbee was on the hotseat, knew that he was, and had to produce this season or else. Hopefully I can come back next season, but as long as Barbee is there....I am not.

Bruce Pearl....he will not longer be bound by the NCAA clause after this season.

Just don't let him have a few players over for a BBQ....

We didn't have to scrape the bottom of the ethics barrel to hire a good footbal coach, I see no reason to hire a cheater to run the basketball program.

Mikey, why the Pearl hate? Is it just the lying about the BBQ thing or is there more to it?

Personally I think Pearl would be a great hire for AU. We don't have the history or recent success to attract recruits so we need a flashy coach who can. Plus he has already had success in the SEC and at a football centric school. Though I will give you that Tenn has a better basketball history than AU.

I honestly don't think we need a "Name" hire. We need to find a coach who can actually COACH. Then do what mid majors do and get highly motivated developmental players and COACH them for 4 years. It irritates me no end to see a Butler or a George Mason make a run in the NCAA and find out there is a player from Alabama that none of the big in state schools wanted. We need a coach for those players because we need to sign them up. If that coach is at Southern Union College or UAH or Harvard, I don't care. I want a teacher. We are not Kentucky or Duke and we aren't getting 1 and done guys. We will have to work harder with good men who want to come to Auburn, will stay for 4 years, work in a team concept and in 4 years we will have a successful program that wins. And as we win more, more talented players will want to come to Auburn etc etc.

I didn't renew my season tickets this year, because I have developed a pathological dislike for Tony Barbee and didn't feel like driving one hour each way to support his incompetence. Now they called me several times to try and talk me into renewing. I told them, not this year and they wanted to know why. I went into all the stuff about the players leaving, the progressive degeneration of the program, yadda, yadda, yadda. I told them Tony Barbee should have been fired last year and his response was that AU had to replace both a football coach and a baseball coach and it would not have been good to replace all three coaches of the top three sports in the same year. But he did concede Barbee was on the hotseat, knew that he was, and had to produce this season or else. Hopefully I can come back next season, but as long as Barbee is there....I am not.

Thanks for having the guts to take a stand. I haven't been a season ticket holder for several years so i didn't have the opportunity. I'd like to think I would have done the same thing you did.

As for the "Pearl hate": I don't want to see AU hire somebody that's been proven to be unethical. I had nothing personal against Bobby Petrino and have nothing personal against Bruce Pearl. I simply don't want Auburn to hire those types, I don't care if they'd win here or not.

I think barbee could be a good coach but he has dropped the ball in recruiting. good players in alabama havent been coming to auburn. i think a new coach could get young players excited about auburn basketball

Thanks for having the guts to take a stand. I haven't been a season ticket holder for several years so i didn't have the opportunity. I'd like to think I would have done the same thing you did.

As for the "Pearl hate": I don't want to see AU hire somebody that's been proven to be unethical. I had nothing personal against Bobby Petrino and have nothing personal against Bruce Pearl. I simply don't want Auburn to hire those types, I don't care if they'd win here or not.

I don't see how you can possibly compare having an affair with girl and giving said girl job under you to inviting some players and their families over to a BBQ as the same thing, but that seems to be what you are doing here. I guess in the end they both got fired for lying about their actions, so from that perspective they are the same. I just have a hard time comparing one to the other. I do tend to live my life in a much grayer area than most though so that could be my problem :)

I don't know much about it but I think Pearl lied to the NCAA about some phone calls as well. Would not have been a big deal but for the lying.

It would have only been secondary violations if he didn't lie about the bbq thing if i remember correctly.

I wouldn't mind picking up someone from a mid-major who's done ok but not great and give them a shot. My alma mater (JMU) won the CAA last year - pick up our guy and let him give it a shot. He's done a fantastic job at getting a Mid-Atlantic school that's not named UVA, Maryland, or George insert name here to the NCAAs.

I wouldn't mind picking up someone from a mid-major who's done ok but not great and give them a shot. My alma mater (JMU) won the CAA last year - pick up our guy and let him give it a shot. He's done a fantastic job at getting a Mid-Atlantic school that's not named UVA, Maryland, or George insert name here to the NCAAs.

Or the coach at Davidson

I don't see how you can possibly compare having an affair with girl and giving said girl job under you to inviting some players and their families over to a BBQ as the same thing, but that seems to be what you are doing here. I guess in the end they both got fired for lying about their actions, so from that perspective they are the same. I just have a hard time comparing one to the other. I do tend to live my life in a much grayer area than most though so that could be my problem :)

This reminds me of the discussion about hiring Petrino. I relaize the situations are different but I just don't think we need to go there with the basketball program any more than we did with the football program.

Archived