Can we please please please fire Barbee?

DyeHardAllTheWay

I don't know much about it but I think Pearl lied to the NCAA about some phone calls as well. Would not have been a big deal but for the lying.

It would have only been secondary violations if he didn't lie about the bbq thing if i remember correctly.

Not only did he lie but he encouraged the people attending the BBQ to lie about the event. If I recall there were other situations with phone calls too. Considering how lenient the NCAA is with violations these days for a coach to get a "show cause" penalty means he really did something serious. And, lying to the NCAA when they have the facts is downright stupid.

And as Cool noted....why would we even look at a guy with this history? It's not like he is the only guy in the world who could improve our BB program so why toss mud on the AUBURN name by hiring either of the BPs?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Want a mid major coach who knows how to coach?

http://www.cofcsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=64093&SPID=7055&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=14800&ATCLID=205409640&Q_SEASON=2013

Doug Wojcik CoCharleston

Watch from behind his bench when they played UT Chattanooga last year.

Best coached team I've seen in a while. He had complete control of the team and ran the bench like a naval captain.

Little doc

http://www.cofcsport...0&Q_SEASON=2013

Doug Wojcik CoCharleston

Best coached team I've seen in a while. He had complete control of the team and ran the bench like a naval captain.

Little doc

http://www.cofcsport...0&Q_SEASON=2013

Doug Wojcik CoCharleston

Little doc

Impressive. The best thing I read, was the 17 players he had at Tulsa all earned their degrees. Isn't that what being a student athlete is all about.

I didn't renew my season tickets this year, because I have developed a pathological dislike for Tony Barbee and didn't feel like driving one hour each way to support his incompetence. Now they called me several times to try and talk me into renewing. I told them, not this year and they wanted to know why. I went into all the stuff about the players leaving, the progressive degeneration of the program, yadda, yadda, yadda. I told them Tony Barbee should have been fired last year and his response was that AU had to replace both a football coach and a baseball coach and it would not have been good to replace all three coaches of the top three sports in the same year. But he did concede Barbee was on the hotseat, knew that he was, and had to produce this season or else. Hopefully I can come back next season, but as long as Barbee is there....I am not.

Thanks for having the guts to take a stand. I haven't been a season ticket holder for several years so i didn't have the opportunity. I'd like to think I would have done the same thing you did.

As for the "Pearl hate": I don't want to see AU hire somebody that's been proven to be unethical. I had nothing personal against Bobby Petrino and have nothing personal against Bruce Pearl. I simply don't want Auburn to hire those types, I don't care if they'd win here or not.

I agree with you Mikey!!!!!

I didn't renew my season tickets this year, because I have developed a pathological dislike for Tony Barbee and didn't feel like driving one hour each way to support his incompetence. Now they called me several times to try and talk me into renewing. I told them, not this year and they wanted to know why. I went into all the stuff about the players leaving, the progressive degeneration of the program, yadda, yadda, yadda. I told them Tony Barbee should have been fired last year and his response was that AU had to replace both a football coach and a baseball coach and it would not have been good to replace all three coaches of the top three sports in the same year. But he did concede Barbee was on the hotseat, knew that he was, and had to produce this season or else. Hopefully I can come back next season, but as long as Barbee is there....I am not.

Thanks for having the guts to take a stand. I haven't been a season ticket holder for several years so i didn't have the opportunity. I'd like to think I would have done the same thing you did.

As for the "Pearl hate": I don't want to see AU hire somebody that's been proven to be unethical. I had nothing personal against Bobby Petrino and have nothing personal against Bruce Pearl. I simply don't want Auburn to hire those types, I don't care if they'd win here or not.

I always agree with Mikey!!!!!!! (except for that one time when he was wrong)

I always agree with Mikey!!!!!!! (except for that one time when he was wrong)

I hardly ever agree with Mikey ...except on the subject of coaches and character. He is definitely correct here.

Bruce Pearl is a damn good coach. Did he screw up? Hell yes he did. but how many of us, including those of you who are so against him being at AU, can honestly say we've lived pristine lives and never had to ask for a 2nd or even 3rd chance?

Bruce Pearl is a damn good coach. Did he screw up? Hell yes he did. but how many of us, including those of you who are so against him being at AU, can honestly say we've lived pristine lives and never had to ask for a 2nd or even 3rd chance?

When the "show cause" penalty has expired, Bruce Pearl will be able to name where he wants to coach. The line is already forming. BTW, if Quanzo(sp) Martin wasn't being so successful, utk would take him back in a heartbeat.

It' ain't about me and my life...it'a about a confessed liar that would be a major face of AU sports. There must be a 100 coaches out there as good as BP....so why is he the only one that some people want to see at AU? Don't you have any pride in Auburn.....I'm an AU grad and it makes a difference to me who we have representing the school to the public.

Auburn has tried the mid-major route twice now. Lebo was at Chattanooga before he came to Auburn and Barbee was at UTEP. Neither have worked out.

We need to get a coach who's been with a big program before in a major conference.

Stan Heath.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Stan_Heath

I wanted Stan Heath before Barbee was hired. Heath has SEC experience. He coached at Arkansas. His last year at Arkansas he made the NCAA Tournament but was let go. He's taken over a struggling South Florida program and took them to the NCAA Tournament 2 years ago. He seems to recruit decent enough. In fact, his most recent recruiting class at South Florida was ranked 22nd by ESPN. He's had to recruit in the south(Arkansas and South Florida) and is a proven coach which is what Auburn needs.

I don't think it will matter. I am convinced no one can win at Auburn in basketball.

Ha! In 1999 our 29 wins was the most ever by a Div 1 basketball team in the state of Alabama. I want a second opinion from Sonny Smith and Cliff Ellis. We've made the Elite 8, Sweet 16 a couple times and when we have a coach that can recruit and RETAIN recruits, we've had extended periods of winning in many different decades.

Just reading about the players no longer with the basketball team. I've tired my best to hang in with Barbee but i'm done. Fire this man after this season. This is crazy! With the basketball players that have left or been kicked off Auburn's basketball team...you could have 2 basketball squads. SMH.

Just reading about the players no longer with the basketball team. I've tired my best to hang in with Barbee but i'm done. Fire this man after this season. This is crazy! With the basketball players that have left or been kicked off Auburn's basketball team...you could have 2 basketball squads. SMH.

And one of them would probably make the NCAA tournament.

I'm tired of the "nobody can win at Auburn" crap. There are coaches out there that can win here. There are coaches that have built winning programs in Ames, Iowa and Stillwater, Oklahoma. Both schools are nowhere close to the basketball recruiting hotspots that are within easy driving distance of Auburn.

If highly successful programs can be established at those places, a highly successful program can be established at Auburn. It's just a matter of identifying the right man for the job. Barbee ain't that guy.

Maybe we could just keep Barbee but move the BB program over to another conference, say the Gulf South? I think we match up pretty well with Christian Brothers, West Georgia, and Delta State. We could actually be pretty competitive there I think and be a solid middle of the pack squad. :)

Barbee is gone after this season. I doubt they fire him during the season so we're going to have to endure another long losing season.

Whether we fire him now or after the season, it doesn't really matter because this is going to be a long season regardless.

Ah, remember the days of optimism (like, this Summer) when our team headed down to paradise to play a couple scrimmage games? Good times indeed. Take a look at that thread and some of the predictions made about this season. Enjoy! :laugh:

Let an assistant coach out the season maybe they can at least get the players to play d and rebound. Then start looking for a coach.

The only thing I'm looking forward to this season is when the bammer student body president comes down to sing our fight song and hand over our trophy. Outside of that...........................crickets. Sad.

Thank God baseball starts in February.

Archived