Can we please please please fire Barbee?

DyeHardAllTheWay

The only thing I'm looking forward to this season is when the bammer student body president comes down to sing our fight song and hand over our trophy. Outside of that...........................crickets. Sad.

Thank God baseball starts in February.

That will be AWESOME!!!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sully, Mack and Bo did a great job of hiring a football coach. Barkley, Chuck Person and John Mengelt should be the guys on a committee to hire our next BB coach. Mengelt even owns and operates an executive search firm, he'd know the details.

Sully, Mack and Bo did a great job of hiring a football coach. Barkley, Chuck Person and John Mengelt should be the guys on a committee to hire our next BB coach. Mengelt even owns and operates an executive search firm, he'd know the details.

Great idea also Chuck should be considered. Auburn man from our heyday, played NBA and was an assistant coach in the NBA

Auburn has tried the mid-major route twice now. Lebo was at Chattanooga before he came to Auburn and Barbee was at UTEP. Neither have worked out.

We need to get a coach who's been with a big program before in a major conference.

Stan Heath.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Stan_Heath

I wanted Stan Heath before Barbee was hired. Heath has SEC experience. He coached at Arkansas. His last year at Arkansas he made the NCAA Tournament but was let go. He's taken over a struggling South Florida program and took them to the NCAA Tournament 2 years ago. He seems to recruit decent enough. In fact, his most recent recruiting class at South Florida was ranked 22nd by ESPN. He's had to recruit in the south(Arkansas and South Florida) and is a proven coach which is what Auburn needs.

South Florida beat Alabama over a week ago.

I think Stan Heath would be a good fit at Auburn. He would be a Cliff Ellis type hire. Someone who's seasoned as a coach and had major conference experience.

No more flavor of the month mid-majors if possible please. Apparently coaches can look good at UTEP and UTC but completely look foolish when coming to AU. Gotta be something in the water maybe. :)

The coach at FCGU? I don't really know who the up and comers are or anything. However, it's downright embarrassing how many players have been dismissed from the team, how lackluster our recruiting has been, and the overall product on the court. We need a coach that can recruit NBA talent. I don't care if they are one and done. I would just like to be competitive and make the NCAA tourney. We have the facilities, we play in a decent basketball conference, we just need a guy who knows what he's doing

I agree maybe Barbee needs to go but the fact remains, who does AU go after? Unlike football Auburn is not a tradition rich program. I'm not saying AU couod get a top notch coach, just saying it won't be easy.

I agree maybe Barbee needs to go but the fact remains, who does AU go after? Unlike football Auburn is not a tradition rich program. I'm not saying AU couod get a top notch coach, just saying it won't be easy.

Max Crawford, Bo and Sully hired Gus. Let Barkley, John Mengelt and Chuck Person hire the next BB coach.

• 3 weeks later...

Barbee is the last, and probably the worst, of the string of terrible hires by Jay Jacobs. IMO, he should not have survived it but that is not the point and that is not what this post is about. The question is not if, but when Barbee gets fired. If they fired him tonight, Auburn would be a better basketball team tomorrow. But, I don't expect that to happen. Barbee was the prototypical JJ hire in that he is a recruiter first and a coach last. Chizik & Pawloski (spelling?) were the other two big ones that come to mind. I really think he did this after looking at what Saban was doing across the state and fell in love with the recruiting fad. While this is a terrible idea with any sport, Auburn Basketball is the last place to try this. While a lot of the conference deals with "one and done's" & JUCOs, I would like to see Auburn try to find a coach who wants to just bring in players that want to stay at least three or more years develop the talent and just bring competitive stability to the program. If the means a lot of 8-8 to 10-6 conference seasons with a tourney team every few years while the rest of the conference is on a rollercoaster, I'm fine with that, because honestly, that's Auburn basketball need to be.

Hire Bruce Pearl!

He's pretty adamant about not coaching in the SEC again. Even more adamant about never coaching for uat or AU

Not that I want a cheater here, I don't. But...why is he adamant about UAT and AU? You've got my curiosity up.

Hire Bruce Pearl!

He's pretty adamant about not coaching in the SEC again. Even more adamant about never coaching for uat or AU

Not that I want a cheater here, I don't. But...why is he adamant about UAT and AU? You've got my curiosity up.

I don't understand the affection that some people on this board have for slugs like Petrino and Pearl.

Maybe those like the one above are just sarcastic comments to get a rise out of folks like me...or ..giving some credit , perhaps they just don't know the background / history of those two coaches.......and if not...I'm left to believe that they just don't have much respect for Auburn University and the negative message such hires would send.

Archived