Can we please please please fire Barbee?

DyeHardAllTheWay

Hire Chuck Persons - He is an Auburn Man he played college and Pro Ball and he has Pro coaching experience he loves Auburn and will find a way to bring Auburn back.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hire Chuck Persons - He is an Auburn Man he played college and Pro Ball and he has Pro coaching experience he loves Auburn and will find a way to bring Auburn back.

Has he ever expressed a desire to coach at AU or even at the college level? I'm as big a fan of The Rifleman as anyone, but I'm not sure about him coaching here. Mainly, coaching tenures usually end bad and I'd hate to see it with him.

Has he ever expressed a desire to coach at AU or even at the college level? I'm as big a fan of The Rifleman as anyone, but I'm not sure about him coaching here. Mainly, coaching tenures usually end bad and I'd hate to see it with him.

I think he interviewed during the last coaching search, so yeah I would think he was interested. Considering he is coaching overseas right now I feel positive he would still be interested. I don't think he has coached at the college level, only pro.

Your last sentence correct but is it important? If he was given the job and was unable to be successful it would probably end with hurt feelings. It would not be the first time a beloved former player failed to coach their alma mater to glory. Usually as the years fade everything comes back to being beloved again. Therefore if Chuck wants to try, I think he has paid his dues as an assistant coach. It's not like we will have top tier candidates crawling to AU for a chance to work here.

I don't understand the affection that some people on this board have for slugs like Petrino and Pearl.

Maybe those like the one above are just sarcastic comments to get a rise out of folks like me...or ..giving some credit , perhaps they just don't know the background / history of those two coaches.......and if not...I'm left to believe that they just don't have much respect for Auburn University and the negative message such hires would send.

At least we haven't named anything after a coach who got us on probation. Auburn University has too much respect for that. <_<

Hire Bruce Pearl!

He's pretty adamant about not coaching in the SEC again. Even more adamant about never coaching for uat or AU

Not that I want a cheater here, I don't. But...why is he adamant about UAT and AU? You've got my curiosity up.

I don't understand the affection that some people on this board have for slugs like Petrino and Pearl.

Maybe those like the one above are just sarcastic comments to get a rise out of folks like me...or ..giving some credit , perhaps they just don't know the background / history of those two coaches.......and if not...I'm left to believe that they just don't have much respect for Auburn University and the negative message such hires would send.

You dont follow basketball then. Slugs as you call them win games. Our best years were under "slugs" that got caught cheating. You dont have a basketball program worth anything (i.e. what we have now) without getting on top of or over the line. It is 10x worse than football. We thought we had that in Barbee, but we were wrong. I dont know if it is the UA agreement or just AU history that stunts our growth. We need an older coach. Not a new hot coach. Tubby Smith.

Wesley I think is coaching at Bullock Cty High, over in Union Springs, We could get them both. the only direction go is up.

With Wesley and Chuck we might even be able to recruit the top Alabama players.

Hire Bruce Pearl!

He's pretty adamant about not coaching in the SEC again. Even more adamant about never coaching for uat or AU

Not that I want a cheater here, I don't. But...why is he adamant about UAT and AU? You've got my curiosity up.

It was thrown out there to remind everyone that you're not going to get a quality coach to come to Auburn. The best you can hope for is to get a young up and comer. You have to hope you catch lightning in a bottle.

Obviously, AU is not going to go near Pearl. I would assume anyone who follows AU athletics to know that.

Off topic a bit, just because people are supportive of hiring someone you don't like, is no reason to assume they don't know anything, or that their love for AU is less than yours. We all have our opinions. If you think the other guy's opinion stinks, then hold your nose and walk away. ;)/>

Hire Bruce Pearl!

It was thrown out there to remind everyone that you're not going to get a quality coach to come to Auburn. The best you can hope for is to get a young up and comer. You have to hope you catch lightning in a bottle.

Obviously, AU is not going to go near Pearl. I would assume anyone who follows AU athletics to know that.

Off topic a bit, just because people are supportive of hiring someone you don't like, is no reason to assume they don't know anything, or that their love for AU is less than yours. We all have our opinions. If you think the other guy's opinion stinks, then hold your nose and walk away. ;)/>

Mikey: http://www.al.com/sp...-ye.html Despite his misgivings, he'll have some pretty nice options when he returns to coaching next August. Reality is, AU is not a prime coaching gig. The perception is pretty bad. Unless there is some already established familiarity, prior relationship with an AD, or they've hit a time of desperation- a coach like Pearl isn't going to give AU the time of day. I've heard him asked what he thought about AU point-blank during a conversation in a hotel lobby last year. He was polite about it, but he almost seemed.. offended.. I don't know how to describe it. He kinda fumbled around for a response and said he doubted that would ever happen. The article above is from sometime this past year, he told the people at that function he wouldn't be coaching in the state of Alabama and really didn't think he'd return to the SEC (outta respect for UT, among other reasons). The guy has shown to be a real scumbag professionally, but that part of AU athletics has been so mediocre and almost non-existent, I think I could get over and behind that hire. As long as he's learned from that mess & didn't bring any of it here.

Hire Bruce Pearl!

Mikey: http://www.al.com/sp...-ye.html Despite his misgivings, he'll have some pretty nice options when he returns to coaching next August. Reality is, AU is not a prime coaching gig. The perception is pretty bad. Unless there is some already established familiarity, prior relationship with an AD, or they've hit a time of desperation- a coach like Pearl isn't going to give AU the time of day. I've heard him asked what he thought about AU point-blank during a conversation in a hotel lobby last year. He was polite about it, but he almost seemed.. offended.. I don't know how to describe it. He kinda fumbled around for a response and said he doubted that would ever happen. The article above is from sometime this past year, he told the people at that function he wouldn't be coaching in the state of Alabama and really didn't think he'd return to the SEC (outta respect for UT, among other reasons). The guy has shown to be a real scumbag professionally, but that part of AU athletics has been so mediocre and almost non-existent, I think I could get over and behind that hire. As long as he's learned from that mess & didn't bring any of it here.

Interesting link, thanks for posting it. Taken in context of that appearance, his "won't coach at UAT or AU" comes off different than it does otherwise.

Why is Auburn considered to be such a bad program, that Pearl wouldn't even consider it? Yes, we have been horrible for the past decade, but we now have great facilities and we play in a good conference. It seems like if we bring in a coach that could start bringing in some big-name recruits we could turn this thing around. I mean maybe Pearl would get better offers if he said he wanted to coach again, but I just don't see the big-time programs rolling out the red carpet for him. Even if he wouldn't really think about Auburn on his own,.....money talks.

Pertaining to Barbee.....why would Auburn be considered a coaching grave-yard? Cliff Ellis was here for a long-time and had success, both Lebo and Barbee had or have had more than enough time to win, they just haven't gotten the job done. Barbee can't even keep his best players on the team, so he needs to be gone yesterday.

The one thing that I have a hard time with is the attrition rate barbee. That is a direct reflection on the the coach. He either is recruiting the wrong guys, or his personality does not mesh with the players.

Actually,Jacobs doesn't have to fire Barbee,all he has to do is let him walk when his contract expires at the end of the season.

he won't walk he will run.

Why is Auburn considered to be such a bad program, that Pearl wouldn't even consider it? Yes, we have been horrible for the past decade, but we now have great facilities and we play in a good conference. It seems like if we bring in a coach that could start bringing in some big-name recruits we could turn this thing around. I mean maybe Pearl would get better offers if he said he wanted to coach again, but I just don't see the big-time programs rolling out the red carpet for him. Even if he wouldn't really think about Auburn on his own,.....money talks.

Pertaining to Barbee.....why would Auburn be considered a coaching grave-yard? Cliff Ellis was here for a long-time and had success, both Lebo and Barbee had or have had more than enough time to win, they just haven't gotten the job done. Barbee can't even keep his best players on the team, so he needs to be gone yesterday.

Pearl has an inflated view of his own value and is an arse. I really hope we don't even ask him to interview. He will not fit in at AU either. Yeah the guy can coach but I don't want to take a chance with him re:NCAA.

It looks like we are a coaching graveyard. Have we had a coach in recent history that has succeeded and took a step up to a better basketball school? Every coach I can think of has left AU with their coaching career going downhill. Barbee and Lebo were both hot young coaches before they came to AU and now... not so much.

Pearl has an inflated view of his own value and is an arse. I really hope we don't even ask him to interview. He will not fit in at AU either. Yeah the guy can coach but I don't want to take a chance with him re:NCAA.

It looks like we are a coaching graveyard. Have we had a coach in recent history that has succeeded and took a step up to a better basketball school? Every coach I can think of has left AU with their coaching career going downhill. Barbee and Lebo were both hot young coaches before they came to AU and now... not so much.

Is that really a reflection on Auburn or is it just that these two could not cut it? What is the actual thought of those in the coaching ranks?

Is that really a reflection on Auburn or is it just that these two could not cut it? What is the actual thought of those in the coaching ranks?

It is more that just those two. Like I said go back and look at our history. In the modern era, coaches that come here do not retire or leave as better coaches, they are all fired. The last coach that was successful was Ellis and he left under an NCAA cloud. From what I heard we were lucky it was not a worse probation. The last coach with a career SEC record of better than .500 was Joel Eaves from 1949-63. I am pretty sure that Calipari urged Barbee to turn down our job.

We are the stereotypical model of a football school... an incredibly passionate fan base when it comes to football and barely apathetic about basketball.

It is more that just those two. Like I said go back and look at our history. In the modern era, coaches that come here do not retire or leave as better coaches, they are all fired. The last coach that was successful was Ellis and he left under an NCAA cloud. From what I heard we were lucky it was not a worse probation. The last coach with a career SEC record of better than .500 was Joel Eaves from 1949-63. I am pretty sure that Calipari urged Barbee to turn down our job.

We are the stereotypical model of a football school... an incredibly passionate fan base when it comes to football and barely apathetic about basketball.

Are we really any different than any other SEC school outside of UK? I guess Arky and Vandy are good bball schools. I think it is hard to get excited about the program when it is abysmal so much of the time. We have demonstrated we will support good teams. Cliff Ellis was known to walk the edge and even cross over before he was hired. Why anyone expected anything different I don't know. There is a coach out there somewhere that would come here who can make Auburn into a respectable program. I like the idea of a search committee like we had for football.

I wish we could just hit free throws. We missed enough today to win the game. In the outfit he was wearing today, Barbee looked more like a funeral director than a coach.

Guest jojo1515

Facts is, we played our best game of the season. We did however lose again due to piss poor coaching in the final few minutes. Not sure I have ever seen a play call where 3 guys go stand on the far side of the court and refuse to move until the opposing team has the ball. That is what happened when we were down 4 with about a minute left. I'm guessing it was our 2 decent players passing the ball back and forth while the rest of the guys literally picked a spot near the far boundary and refused to help in any way with the play. Either that was the play call (no way 3 guys all took the same play off with the game on the line) or the players refuse to try and win with Barber as their coach. Either way, lose the next game and he should be fired on the spot. Our players deserve better. They can stand toe to toe with the #7 team in the country on pure athletic ability and heart, only to be coached into a loss time and time again. Please hurry up JJ and give these players what they deserve. They would be better off with no coach at all.

Lebo was not a great recruiter but he could get some productivity out of less skilled players.

Barbee seems to bring in a better talent level, but he loses so many to different reasons that you never know what it would look like with "his" best players. Free throws were a problem in the Lebo years, they are still a problem now. Right now (and at times the last few years), the team wasn't THAT bad. They just never seemed to put it all together. When the offense was doing well, the rebounding was bad. When the defense was doing well, they can't hit a shot. IF they ever put offense, defense, rebounding, and making a decent percentage of free throws together, they have the ability to compete with anyone in the SEC.

Also, Barbee's teams have struggled (to put it politely) in half court offensive sets from the beginning. Too often the play is throw it to the best player/hottest shooter and let him isolate and create his own shot (a la NBA style). As witnessed today, that will rarely work against a zone (or even a well played man) defense. UF ran a 1-3-1 zone and AU got the ball to the wing and attacked the baseline (weak point in the 1-3-1) ONE time, and UF got out of it.

As a basketball junkie, it is always disappointing knowing I have to have a team to follow that isn't my alma mater.

For those of you that are not keeping up with it....AU has lost its last 14 SEC games :(

Yep. We are now 1-19 in the last 20 SEC games. You may say that we haven't been all that good in recent decades, but I can tell you we've never been THIS bad!

Archived