Can you deny a 1 loss AU over undefeated Ohio State?

ReidMcLain

If Auburn and Ohio state win out at the point who gets the nod? It's hard to tell because of the gravity of beating Alabama and Ohio state's perceived 'cupcake' schedule. Thoughts?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there's much chance of ANY one loss team going to a championship game over an undefeated team from a major conference. Mich St. Looks legit though.

Michigan State over Ohio State in B1G championship game.

Thats what needs to happen. We won't jump an undefeated OSU team imo. It is what it is.

Beating bama would help us in the polls as some people believe if a top 5 team beats #1 they deserve to be #1. We should also be #1 in the computers.

Would improvement in the polls plus tops in the computer polls be enough?

I think our chance of jumping an undefeated team was lost with our 20 point lead against UGA. I felt going into these last two games, we needed a 3 score win over UGA, a double digit win against UAT, and a convincing win against a top ten team from the east. Now, we just need some pieces to fall into place. Right now, it looks like there is just one more piece, so go Wolverines and Sparty!

Our bigger problem is the Coaches and Harris Polls still have us behind Clemson. What gets us ahead of Clemson in the BCS poll are the computers. We would never jump Ohio State in the BCS if we are two spots behind it in the human poll components of the BCS.

I thought over time the Coaches and Harris pollsters would want their poll to provide a consensus with the AP and BCS polls, and that has happened a little bit, but less than I expected.

We need to not worry about the rest, and focus on our own schedule. Beat Bama. Win the SECCG. If we make it to Pasadena, great. If not, it was not meant to be.

Ohio St wouldn't be undefeated with Auburn's schedule. Auburn would be undefeated with Ohio St's schedule.

^^^^^^^

THIS

We aren't undefeated either with our schedule. Lol

Ohio St wouldn't be undefeated with Auburn's schedule. Auburn would be undefeated with Ohio St's schedule.

^^^^^^^

THIS

We aren't undefeated either with our schedule. Lol

Ohio State would be a 3-4 loss team.

I think it's reasonably fair to assume that OSU would lose to either LSU or A&M and would get destroyed by Alabama.

Their struggles against Northwestern and Wisky are pretty eye opening. Put them in the meat grinder of a week in and week out SEC schedule - and it'd yield losses.

I personally would put Auburn in but I'm biased. But if Ohio St is undefeated they go hands down no question about it. If we were talking about Louisville rather than OS then there would be a debate.

My daughter has met the most amazing guy. He's in the doctorate program in chemical engineering at Auburn. They're going to get married most likely. One minor issue, his undergrad was at Ohio State. I keep trying to imagine how she would handle it if we played OSU and how HE would handle her CRAZY love for Auburn football. If we jump them in the polls or if they beat us out, it will be a pretty good test of how solid their relationship is! Haha!

If OSU wins out, we do not deserve to jump them. That would be a bigger screw over by a good bit than 2004 for us. We need Michigan State to beat OSU...which is possible.

I wonder more how voters will treat FSU if evidence quickly emerges that truly makes Winston seem guilty. It may have a disqualifying effect to some voters.

Guest jojo1515

Our bigger problem is the Coaches and Harris Polls still have us behind Clemson. What gets us ahead of Clemson in the BCS poll are the computers. We would never jump Ohio State in the BCS if we are two spots behind it in the human poll components of the BCS.

I thought over time the Coaches and Harris pollsters would want their poll to provide a consensus with the AP and BCS polls, and that has happened a little bit, but less than I expected.

We need to not worry about the rest, and focus on our own schedule. Beat Bama. Win the SECCG. If we make it to Pasadena, great. If not, it was not meant to be.

We won't be 2 spots back if we win out. If we beat bama and Mizzou/USCe, we would be close to #1 in the computers and really close to #2 in the polls. The key here would depend on 2 things....1. How many points back are we in the human polls. 2. How much do the computers favor us.

If the computers have us a solid #2 and the polls have us barely behind #2, we could jump OSU. If we are #3 in the polls, but OSU has a big point advantage on us, the computers won't make up for it. IMO, we have about a 20 percent chance of jumping OSU (possible but not likely). If OSU wins easily against Michigan and Michigan St, we have closer to a zero chance. If Michigan St gives OSU a game until the last play, we may gain some votes and jump up to 40 percent.

Either way, I see us needing OSU to lose. Let's hope one of the Michigan schools pulls it off.

Also of note, if Jameis Winston gets arrested, they could very well lose in their championship game. Bad news is, if we win out and both FSU and OSU lose, we probably play bama for the NC....

If Auburn and Ohio state win out at the point who gets the nod? It's hard to tell because of the gravity of beating Alabama and Ohio state's perceived 'cupcake' schedule. Thoughts?

Not gonna happen. Ohio St. has to lose.

I'm not sure what you do if he gets charged. For what I understand, they have a standing rule that any player charged with a felony is automatically suspended until it's resolved. If he's suspended and Jacob Coker is out for the year (he is), should voters consider the fact that FSU is down to their third QB? Or should it just be a consideration of their résumé?

I don't really know.

I think we're projected (by Brad Edwards) to be #4 in the BCS after this.

Bama would be #1, and Mizzou #6. OSU #3.

IF (BIG IF) we beat #1, then take out Mizzou (#4 at that point after they beat aTm, and Bama loses to us), could we jump OSU (at that point #2 if they win out)?

No way in hell OSU would go undefeated with our schedule. They'd lose at least one of: Bama, aTm, LSU, Mizzou, UGA, Ole Miss.

If we don't win out, I hope FSU does. Because I'd hate to have to watch Bama (assuming they beat Mizzou) destroy OSU for another easy title game (see ND).

IMO they can and will deny a 1 loss Auburn over Ohio St. May not be something Auburn fans want to hear but that's the reality. The SEC is hated by outsiders and if we were to jump an undefeated Ohio St. the NCAA knows it would be very bad for the business of college football. I certainly think we have a very valid argument to jumb Ohio St. and should if we win out b/c their schedule is nowhere close to ours but i just know what the reality will be.

Archived