2016 3* RB Malik Miller (AU commit 6/11/15)

McLoofus

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Malik Miller playing against Leeds tonight. Got it on bounce air tv 6.2 out B'ham. Miller looking good.

Keep us informed on stats if you can. Thanks

From the first half, my opinion is that we have another great running back. Could be another Mr. Football in the state going to Auburn.

Isn't everyone entitled to an honest opinion? Of course you have to be preopared to take a lot of heat if it's not a popular one. in some ways a good h-back may be more valuable than a good running back. More difficult I think to find and evaluate.

After watching the game, I'm glad we got him. However, he did not look like Mr football to me. With out criticizing, I look at some of our previous running back exploits, and he still needs to improve in some areas.

And yes i realize who they were playing. And it was just one game.

I didn't watch the game, but he still reminds me a lot of Carl Stewart in that he is a good, big running back who will likely be pushed to a more secondary role due to the level of talent we've already got at running back...but that's a good thing for all parties involved. He will hopefully learn how to block (if he doesnt know already), which gives the RBs a lead out of the backfield who can also be very dangerous slipping out in the flat, and it gives him an extra skill set to make him attractive to NFL teams without putting too much wear on his body (hopefully) by doing more of delivering the blow rather than absorbing it.

And then if he DOES develop into a Nick Chubb type of back, then the embarrassment of riches at running back just grows stronger.

Well you say you realize it's just one game I can't imagine thinking he's as good as the former Mr Football then writing him off in one game...sure it took more than one game for you to place him up there on that pedestal...

FYI

This is from last year's game Leeds vs. Madison Academy:

Kerryon Johnson proved why he’s a Mr. Football candidate with 22 carries for a game-high 203 yards and two scores. He also caught a pass for 19 yards.

Mustangs junior Malik Miller rushed for 40 yards on nine carries and added 11 tackles on defense.

So Kerryon Johnson is going to play this year. At a minimum, he and Roc Thomas will be here next year. You have to think that at least one of Barber or Robinson will still be here, also. And both of our H-Backs will be back. So any way you cut it, there's a strong chance that Miller can redshirt in 2016 (unless neither Barber nor Robinson came back, in which case Miller's the next man up and, by default, he becomes a true RB).

Fast forward to 2017 and you've got Kerryon as a JR and maybe Roc and/or Peyton as SRs, as well as Pettway and Cox as JRs. That leaves Miller, who by then will have been in the system for a year, fighting off Alaric Williams and any other true freshman RB we might sign, for the 3rd RB spot (at worst).

By 2018, Roc and Peyton are both gone- possibly Kerryon, too- and we have at least 1 4-year co-starter at H-Back (I don't think many HBs are going pro early, even from Gus's offense, but Pettway might be graduated by then despite not having exhausted his eligibility).

Going just by the numbers, I see a clearer path to RB for Miller than to HB.

That, along with 1) the fact that Gus and Tim Horton- who, together, have coached Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis, Tre Mason, Cameron Artis-Payne, Roc Thomas, Jovon Robinson, Peyton Barber and Kerryon Johnson- applied the full court press to Miller's recruitment and 2) he's already trimmed himself down to prototypical RB dimensions, makes me dial back my previous prediction that he wouldn't be a feature RB for us. Dude very well might tote the rock.

So Kerryon Johnson is going to play this year. At a minimum, he and Roc Thomas will be here next year. You have to think that at least one of Barber or Robinson will still be here, also. And both of our H-Backs will be back. So any way you cut it, there's a strong chance that Miller can redshirt in 2016. Fast forward to 2017 and you've got Kerryon as a JR and maybe Roc and/or Peyton as SRs, as well as Pettway and Cox as JRs. That leaves Miller, who by then will have been in the system for a year, fighting off Alaric Williams and any other true freshman RB we might sign, for the 3rd RB spot (at worst). By 2018, Roc and Peyton are both gone and we have at least 1 4-year co-starter at H-Back (I don't think many HBs are going pro early, even from Gus's offense, but Pettway might be graduated by then despite not having exhausted his eligibility).

That's about as clear a path to PT as an RB's going to get at Auburn as long as this staff is intact.

That, along with 1) the fact that Gus and Tim Horton- who, together, have coached Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis, Tre Mason, Cameron Artis-Payne, Roc Thomas, Jovon Robinson, Peyton Barber and Kerryon Johnson- applied the full court press to Miller's recruitment and 2) he's already trimmed himself down to prototypical RB dimensions, makes me dial back my previous prediction that he wouldn't be a feature RB for us. Dude very well might tote the rock.

With the ladder of good RBs we have, I can't see any player in the near future coming in as a freshman and doing much more than fill in work.

Not that it's all bad....at least the guys will not be run to death by carrying the ball 20 times a game for 3 or 4 years. Recent history has shown that if a RB has one or two good years in Div 1, he will be on the radar screen for the NFL....and has an excellent chance of still having good knees when he gets there.

So Kerryon Johnson is going to play this year. At a minimum, he and Roc Thomas will be here next year. You have to think that at least one of Barber or Robinson will still be here, also. And both of our H-Backs will be back. So any way you cut it, there's a strong chance that Miller can redshirt in 2016. Fast forward to 2017 and you've got Kerryon as a JR and maybe Roc and/or Peyton as SRs, as well as Pettway and Cox as JRs. That leaves Miller, who by then will have been in the system for a year, fighting off Alaric Williams and any other true freshman RB we might sign, for the 3rd RB spot (at worst). By 2018, Roc and Peyton are both gone and we have at least 1 4-year co-starter at H-Back (I don't think many HBs are going pro early, even from Gus's offense, but Pettway might be graduated by then despite not having exhausted his eligibility).

That's about as clear a path to PT as an RB's going to get at Auburn as long as this staff is intact.

With the ladder of good RBs we have, I can't see any player in the near future coming in as a freshman and doing much more than fill in work.

Not that it's all bad....at least the guys will not be run to death by carrying the ball 20 times a game for 3 or 4 years. Recent history has shown that if a RB has one or two good years in Div 1, he will be on the radar screen for the NFL....and has an excellent chance of still having good knees when he gets there.

No doubt. Miller is even on record making that exact point.

FYI

Kerryon Johnson proved why he’s a Mr. Football candidate with 22 carries for a game-high 203 yards and two scores. He also caught a pass for 19 yards.

Mustangs junior Malik Miller rushed for 40 yards on nine carries and added 11 tackles on defense.

How does this have any bearing on anything?

FYI

Yeah, I mean that kind of reminds me of 2013 and let's say the Arkansas game. Tre Mason had 32 carries for 170 yards and 4 TDs. Cam Artis-Payne had 2 carries for 5 yards and 0 TDs. Then in 2014 CAP......

FYI

Last year MA played Leeds and KJ was featured back and ran for 203 yards. Leeds won 4A championship. This year MA played Leeds and MM was featured back. With only one game to evaluate MM, I thought that comparing to the same team from the previous year was the best comparison that could be made at this point. If you don't find the comparison of any value then you have my permission to ignore it.

FYI

Last year MA played Leeds and KJ was featured back and ran for 203 yards. Leeds won 4A championship. This year MA played Leeds and MM was featured back. With only one game to evaluate MM, I thought that comparing to the same team from the previous year was the best comparison that could be made at this point. If you don't find the comparison of any value then you have my permission to ignore it.

Alrighty

FYI

Hard to compare unless the defense was the same and without seeing how many starters came back on that D and the starters on his Oline. Hard to make a good comparison just my opinion

Archived