2016 3* RB Malik Miller (AU commit 6/11/15)

McLoofus

Thanks E, so no chance for him to be recruited at LB?

I'm not in the staff meetings so I don't know. With that said given the stud talent at LB in the state of Alabama in the 2016 class and on an out of state guy like Shaq Quartermaine, I doubt it. Besides Malik wants to play on O not D in college.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks E, so no chance for him to be recruited at LB?

I'm not in the staff meetings so I don't know. With that said given the stud talent at LB in the state of Alabama in the 2016 class and on an out of state guy like Shaq Quartermaine, I doubt it. Besides Malik wants to play on O not D in college.

Ok, I was just referring to an article where he stated the RB position wasn't getting drafted as high as LBs but I did forget how good the 2016 LB class is when I asked the question.

If we can sign Malik, we better damn well do it. We'll find the best spot for him once he hits the practice field, but an in-state guy with that much talent always has to be a "take."

Who has sen him play this year? I watched one game on TV earlier and it was hard to tell just how good Malik was. He did not stand out in the game too much on offense but was good on defense. Kerryon was the one that really stood out.

Who has sen him play this year? I watched one game on TV earlier and it was hard to tell just how good Malik was. He did not stand out in the game too much on offense but was good on defense. Kerryon was the one that really stood out.

Ive seen MA play several times the past two years and both KJ and Malik are studs. Thing is, MA is usually beating the crap outta folks anf the coaches limit Kerryon's and Malik's playing time/touches accordingly. From an eye test perspective, Malik looks more physically ready now than KJ does. Would be a take for me in a heartbeat.

We can find a better RB, especially for the offense that we run. Not sure what else we would take him as unless he wants to come in as a FB, but even then we're bringing in Cox in this class and I'm not sure we want that many scholarship FB's on the roster just one class apart.

We can find a better RB, especially for the offense that we run. Not sure what else we would take him as unless he wants to come in as a FB, but even then we're bringing in Cox in this class and I'm not sure we want that many scholarship FB's on the roster just one class apart.

Yeah but look at the situation we're in this year because we under-recruited that FB/HB spot. It's a key cog in what we want to do in the run game and it sticks out like a sore thumb in 2014. Cox will play in 2015. Miller, or fill in the blank, could redshirt in 2016.

Yeah but look at the situation we're in this year because we under-recruited that FB/HB spot. It's a key cog in what we want to do in the run game and it sticks out like a sore thumb in 2014. Cox will play in 2015. Miller, or fill in the blank, could redshirt in 2016.

Yes Miller has the size to play HB but unlike Cox we don't know if Malik can block in space. He's not asked to do that much at MA.

We have Kamryn Pettway, sitting at ~240 pounds, redshirting. He is not going to be a feature back in this offense. So there you have two FB/HB types in back to back classes, do we really need to make it three?

We have Kamryn Pettway, sitting at ~240 pounds, redshirting. He is not going to be a feature back in this offense. So there you have two FB/HB types in back to back classes, do we really need to make it three?

While Kam Pettway has the size to play H-Back there has been no indication he can do it. As a Prattville alum I watched him for 2 years in high school and I can tell you for a fact that he never once had to block in space while there. In space blocking is the biggest requirement of a HB in Gus's O. While Kam may not be a feature back in this offense, it would be due to the sheer talent we have at RB, and not about fit. While KP is very big for a RB it would be a mistake to assume that he is just a bruiser that can't cut or have lateral ability. He can in fact cut surprisingly well and has some good jukes to him. The staff recruited Kam to play tail back and of as recently as 2 weeks ago that is where he was still practicing.

While Kam Pettway has the size to play H-Back there has been no indication he can do it. As a Prattville alum I watched him for 2 years in high school and I can tell you for a fact that he never once had to block in space while there. In space blocking is the biggest requirement of a HB in Gus's O. While Kam may not be a feature back in this offense, it would be due to the sheer talent we have at RB, and not about fit. While KP is very big for a RB it would be a mistake to assume that he is just a bruiser that can't cut or have lateral ability. He can in fact cut surprisingly well and has some good jukes to him. The staff recruited Kam to play tail back and of as recently as 2 weeks ago that is where he was still practicing.

Also, if Kam was going to be a dependable H-Back for us, then I doubt Cam Toney would be getting reps there while Pettway kept his redshirt on.

Also, if Kam was going to be a dependable H-Back for us, then I doubt Cam Toney would be getting reps there while Pettway kept his redshirt on.

Very strong point.

Cool story. Eric Smith played RB his entire HS career, and he was good doing it playing against some of the best competition in Florida at Armwood HS. Like Smith, Pettway has the same thick FB build, and also like Smith, there simply isn't going to be room for him to ever become a real contributor at RB, despite the fact that he was a good runner in HS. We can't even get Barber onto the field, and he is more talented than Pettway as a runner. So guess what? If he wants to play, he better start learning to block, and I'd be willing to bet that he is doing just that. You can babble on about how the coaches "recruited him to play RB" all you want...there are more talented runners than him already on the roster, we are bringing in two more runners that are more talented in this class alone (assuming Robinson qualifies), and guess what, we'll likely sign a more talented runner in next year's class as well. The picture is easy to see.

Very strong point.

Another thing to think about is that RB's can get injured. Look at UGA this year. They are still very competitive because of their running game and that have recruited the position very, very well lately. You never know if the injury bug hits AU like it hit UGA this year. I like having a good stable of backs. I think we need to get them all more PT though.

They are giving Toney reps because it is obvious that he will never be a contributing LB for us in a defense that plays so few of them, therefore you may as well give the kid the chance to maybe get on the field elsewhere, because he is a good kid. That "move" had nothing to do with Pettway or how they ultimately plan on using him.

`

You can babble on about how the coaches "recruited him to play RB" all you want...there are more talented runners than him already on the roster, we are bringing in two more runners that are more talented in this class alone (assuming Robinson qualifies), and guess what, we'll likely sign a more talented runner in next year's class as well. The picture is easy to see.

Not babbling. Just reminding what Rhett has said countless times and he said it yet again 2 weeks ago when he said Kam is still at tail back. The coach's decision as of now is him at tail back. Also just because Eric Smith made the ttransition smoothly does not mean nor imply a player with similar measurables can do the same thing, especially when the player has not done that before. I'm not saying you're right or wrong. I'm just saying based on Rhett's countless comments on Kam the staff does not appear to see the same "easy picture" as you.

They are giving Toney reps because it is obvious that he will never be a contributing LB for us in a defense that plays so few of them, therefore you may as well give the kid the chance to maybe get on the field elsewhere, because he is a good kid.

So why can't you just sub "Pettway" for "Toney" and "RB" for "LB" in the above statement? Is he not a good kid? Either way, do you honestly think that he has no present value as an H-back in an offense that desperately needs to improve at that position right now, but that he will eventually be valuable enough at that position that we don't need to recruit another one after Cox?

I mean, I realize that this staff hates playing true FR and all... well, except Ruffin... and Williams... and Truitt, and Lawson, and Adams, and Daniel, and Thomas, and Smith, and.....................

what gift is that..................j/k j/k carry on

I believe it's called the gift of jab.

:poke:

Nicely put.

• 5 months later...

alright, so Kam Pettway is now a HB and Miller could be our next commit according to E...Assuming it would be HBack with other top targets at RB or are we now considering taking two?

Any chance Malik plays LB in college. He is a powerful guy. Not the tallest, but I think he can play the position well.

Archived