4 star OG/OT Braden Smith

EagleDamnWar

Golson was gone for all practical purposes by the time Gus & Co. took over. We snagged Mix last year, and OL recruiting hasn't been a priority this year or last, with the load we already have on campus. Look for us to sign 5 or 6 OL recruits next season, regardless of whether we pick up one or two this year. I don't see any of this as a reflection on Grimes. And after this season, Grimes will be much more impressive for the turnaround he led for what essentially is the same starting line as what we went 3-9 with last year. Patience, boys and girls.

Golson was gone for all practical purposes by the time Gus & Co. took over. We snagged Mix last year, and OL recruiting hasn't been a priority this year or last, with the load we already have on campus. Look for us to sign 5 or 6 OL recruits next season, regardless of whether we pick up one or two this year. I don't see any of this as a reflection on Grimes. And after this season, Grimes will be much more impressive for the turnaround he led for what essentially is the same starting line as what we went 3-9 with last year. Patience, boys and girls.

With a maximum of 28 slots to fill in 2014, we have deeper needs at other positions than OL. Look at WarEagleAU's new thread on 2015 recruiting, and you will see an emphasis on OLs in that class. We'll probably sign 5-6 4* or 5* kids before it's over.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO if you can get a top O-line prospect you get him.It all starts at the line of scrimmage.You can never have to many good O-linemen or D-linemen.An average back or QB will look a lot better behind good blocking.

:clap:

Yes, Grimes is the best OL coach in the country imo. If he "isn't" good at recruiting (I don't necessarily agree with that) we certainly have recruiting coaches. The best recruiting Grimes can do anyway is coach up the best OL in the country.

To sevenlee: We don't need to recruit the OL bad this year. As things stand now we are expected to have 13 returning OL on scholly with 1 coming in to give us 14 for the 2014 season. That's nearly 3 deep at every spot and 10 of them will still underclassmen.

3 Seniors (2 starts)

1 Junior (1 start)

8 RS Soph (2 starts)

1 Soph

1 RS Freshman

You answered your own query. We did little on the OL last and this year because we are so stacked. That was by design and in no way reflect JBs recruiting ability. You are right on 1 thing though. OL will be a big emphasis next year.

To autan: Westy leaving is in no way a reflection on Grimes. The kid was homesick ad was looking for any excuse to get out of the craphole that was our program at that time. On Golson, If Auburn truly felt he was a top level guy they would have kept Craig on him (instead of putting JB on him like they did) since he was Golson's lead recruiter at FSU. As for your other ?, recruiting is s much by territory as by position. If there are OL the staff wants who are in Garner and Craig's territory they will be the lead recruiters. Craig was the lead recruiter for Casher in Mobile this year for example.

Yes I agree. I'm not saying it happens alot I'm just saying you can't always be 100% definite knowing who is a lead recruiter and also they work together alot. I'm saying this from the last several years of recruiting and I was able to see some things first hand then read the internet and the board.

I think we all agree that CJBG is a great coach, but the jury is still out on his recruiting skills.

OL performance recruits itself. Greg Robinson all-world season; now looking like a potential Top 15 pick as a redshirt Sophomore. Reese Dismukes Rimington Award finalist.

Our offense works because our OL is dominant. This kid (Braden Smith) actually contacted Auburn to show interest. Recruiting will not be a problem if what you see on the field continues.

Very well said!

To sevenlee: We don't need to recruit the OL bad this year. As things stand now we are expected to have 13 returning OL on scholly with 1 coming in to give us 14 for the 2014 season. That's nearly 3 deep at every spot and 10 of them will still underclassmen.

3 Seniors (2 starts)

1 Junior (1 start)

8 RS Soph (2 starts)

1 Soph

1 RS Freshman

You answered your own query. We did little on the OL last and this year because we are so stacked. That was by design and in no way reflect JBs recruiting ability. You are right on 1 thing though. OL will be a big emphasis next year.

I'd like to see better dispersion of those numbers. Not all those 8 sophomores are going to be good and some could transfer, go to jail, get injured, or leave early for the draft. I'd like to see more lineman they're like cowbells u can never have enough!

3 Seniors (2 starts)

1 Junior (1 start)

8 RS Soph (2 starts)

1 Soph

1 RS Freshman

I'd like to see better dispersion of those numbers. Not all those 8 sophomores are going to be good and some could transfer, go to jail, get injured, or leave early for the draft. I'd like to see more lineman they're like cowbells u can never have enough!

Well if we were to lose one or more sophomores who are expected to contribute in the rotation, then in addition to 5 or 6 high school seniors, we'd likely sign 1 or more JUCO OL's to fill the gaps. Not worried.

If this kid wants to come play for us, you sign him period. You don't take a pass on him in my opinion.

Agree...this is a time we can be picky about who we offer but this guy looks like he could help the program right away.

If this kid wants to come play for us, you sign him period. You don't take a pass on him in my opinion.

Agree...this is a time we can be picky about who we offer but this guy looks like he could help the program right away.

I didn't think we were debating that...just seeing if he makes time to visit us.

I want this guy BIG time. With this kid's physique and Grimes' coaching, he could be special. We need to keep loading up on the OL whether it's a position of need or not.

Guys, I never said JB wasn't a good recruiter, just that we don't know yet. He hasn't done much "in the trenches" recruiting at this point since Gus hasn't focused as much on OL recruits. That will change after this year, then we'll see. On offensive side CGM, CRL, and CTH are outstanding recruiters as well as Craig. This year we had plenty of OL talent. Our guys just needed some great coaching which they received. I've got a hunch Coach Grimes will be getting his guys next year because he's a great coach. I think Offensive linemen especially are drawn more to great coaching than salesmen.

Braden Smith is getting lots of very good press at the UA camp. They say he has outstanding brute strength. I would like to understand our odds here. Since we are in this late, I would have to think our chances cannot be great.

Braden Smith is getting lots of very good press at the UA camp. They say he has outstanding brute strength. I would like to understand our odds here. Since we are in this late, I would have to think our chances cannot be great.

I'm not so sure. Look at the competition for him, none of the others are normally in any sort of conference championship or nationally notable games. If he wants to play top-level football we may well have an edge with him.

Also, metafour (who is never wrong, just ask him) says Smith contacted Auburn instead of the other way around so that should mean something.

I'm not so sure. Look at the competition for him, none of the others are normally in any sort of conference championship or nationally notable games. If he wants to play top-level football we may well have an edge with him.

Also, metafour (who is never wrong, just ask him) says Smith contacted Auburn instead of the other way around so that should mean something.

I hope you are right.

Archived