Gus's O

lala

The obvious holding by fsu but yet no flags by the refs really got to me.Big ten crew, wonder if they wanted to see the SEC streak end?

I thought about that during the game and that missed call. EVERY other conference wanted to see the SEC streak end. I think the only fair crew we could have had would have been a NFL crew. That said they probably missed a few calls that could have gone against us too.

From what I could see, they pretty much let holding go both ways. Tre had a nice run early in the game where I think Prosch or Fulse had pretty much a handful of garnett jersey. I'm not saying its right that they didn't call holding, but it seemed to me it was pretty much not called either way.

It didn't matter because they still got into the end zone but Ryan Smith had probably the most obvious horse caller tackle of the season that they somehow didn't see.

The obvious holding by fsu but yet no flags by the refs really got to me.Big ten crew, wonder if they wanted to see the SEC streak end?

I thought about that during the game and that missed call. EVERY other conference wanted to see the SEC streak end. I think the only fair crew we could have had would have been a NFL crew. That said they probably missed a few calls that could have gone against us too.

From what I could see, they pretty much let holding go both ways. Tre had a nice run early in the game where I think Prosch or Fulse had pretty much a handful of garnett jersey. I'm not saying its right that they didn't call holding, but it seemed to me it was pretty much not called either way.

It didn't matter because they still got into the end zone but Ryan Smith had probably the most obvious horse caller tackle of the season that they somehow didn't see.

We may have been holding but their O-linemen were tackling.

I did question some of the play calling last night. The sweeps weren't working at all. I realize they are used to spread the field and loosen the defense. However, all they seemed to do last night was put us behind the sticks. Would have liked to see us go back to that play that we had early in the first quarter when NM missed a wide open RL.

We have won games all season in the fourth quarter. Last night, we lost the game in the fourth. A couple of big mistakes in the fourth cost us the Natty.

I am so proud of this team and coaching staff. The future is very bright for AUBURN!!

WAR EAGLE FOREVER!!

to a certain extent I agree with a little of this. When Gus was here before, it seemed like we had a couple drives a game that made you scratch your head and seems like "give away" possessions.

However, Gus has shown that he is willing to risk throwing away a play for its use later. For example: one of those "throw away" drives included a play where we huddled, then came out of the huddle quick to do a fast toss sweep to grant. Anyone who has watched film on auburn knows hat play is coming.

Later in the game, we did another of the quick huddles and faked the same toss sweep. The LB bites and we throw to a wide open Melvin Ray for his first touchdown ever.

Keep those things in mind when you get frustrated by play calls. I too get frustrated by some of the cute or high risk plays (long pass on a 3rd and short from mid field) but those plays sometimes work and they always keep the D stretched from sideline to sideline and vertically down the field. Gus forces D's to play the entire field or take risks.

Just a quick comment to join with others in saying how exciting it is to think of this offense in the future, with Gus having Nick for a 2nd year, with Sammie stepping up like he has, with our freshmen receivers showing such promise, with most of our line back, with our running backs (even if Tre leaves), with the newcomers... what fun to think about! The D should be better, the O even better... It's good to be us! 1 comment about the officiating--I think indeed they had a "let'em play" approach, which I applaud. But then the ONE holding call made is a ticky tack call on Greg at a crucial time in the 3rd qtr? I'm not a "blame the refs" person at all, but that call is irksome still. Ok, got that off my chest!

I did question some of the play calling last night. The sweeps weren't working at all. I realize they are used to spread the field and loosen the defense. However, all they seemed to do last night was put us behind the sticks. Would have liked to see us go back to that play that we had early in the first quarter when NM missed a wide open RL.

We have won games all season in the fourth quarter. Last night, we lost the game in the fourth. A couple of big mistakes in the fourth cost us the Natty.

I am so proud of this team and coaching staff. The future is very bright for AUBURN!!

WAR EAGLE FOREVER!!

to a certain extent I agree with a little of this. When Gus was here before, it seemed like we had a couple drives a game that made you scratch your head and seems like "give away" possessions.

However, Gus has shown that he is willing to risk throwing away a play for its use later. For example: one of those "throw away" drives included a play where we huddled, then came out of the huddle quick to do a fast toss sweep to grant. Anyone who has watched film on auburn knows hat play is coming.

Later in the game, we did another of the quick huddles and faked the same toss sweep. The LB bites and we throw to a wide open Melvin Ray for his first touchdown ever.

Keep those things in mind when you get frustrated by play calls. I too get frustrated by some of the cute or high risk plays (long pass on a 3rd and short from mid field) but those plays sometimes work and they always keep the D stretched from sideline to sideline and vertically down the field. Gus forces D's to play the entire field or take risks.

I think playcalling seems strange to a lot of people because Gus' approach to it is ultimately based on his philosophy of offensive tempo and getting more possessions. He's always probing the defense, trying to break tendencies, keep the field stretched, set up something for later, and get big plays. When it works, he gets called a genius. When it doesn't, he should have called something else. I think back to a few examples during the season where we ran the same play on 3rd down that we ran on 2nd down, where the 2nd down play was either a poor throw or bobbled catch. That is a perfect case of him being a mad scientist when it works, and people saying "what the hell were you thinking?" when it's two incompletions followed by a punt.

With more consistent play from our QB and WR's, we wouldn't be having this conversation at all. We'll get there too. This 2013 offense (that continued improving) was such a massive upgrade over 2012's that I cannot complain about playcalling, errant throws, missed catches, or missed opportunities. I know the missed opportunities in the passing game bother Gus and the players more than they do us, and I suspect it will be focused on during the offseason.

WAR EAGLE FOREVER!!

You hit the nail on its head. Like you I am guilty of over reacting to what I see as a single bad call and don't always see it in the context that you just outlined.

What "makes no sense to me" is the thought that you can analyze an offensive scheme by taking isolated plays or a series of plays and declare them good or throw-aways...or poor calls.

It is pretty well accepted that every play Gus runs has a purpose...and the purpose may not just be to make a desired amount of yardage....often there are additional goals....confirm defensive tendencies, set up future plays that look the same, etc.

I'm sure coaches review game films to analyze failed plays...but not necessarily to scrap them. A play that loses five yards one time may gain 15 the next time it is run...or not...but you won't know until you run it a few times. And conversely a play that has gained miles of yards can be stopped at a critical moment...thinking of the forth and one play in the Bama game that had been money in the bank all afternoon....and then a block is missed, the play is stopped and Bama has the ball in AU territory.

My overall point is that i don't see how anyone can evaluate Gus's play calling based on isolated plays here or there. The only reliable analysis is the total effectiveness of the offense during a game....yards and points.

Archived