Current players moving on and recruiting numbers

benjazz

While I don't think any of this is shocking, Tre, Robinson, Tunde, Justin Delaine won't be here next year. How does that impact recruiting priorities and numbers if at all.?

WDE

I don't think it will much, just because as you said none of this is really shocking. I'm thinking that the staff has been prepared for all these guys to leave for awhile (including Reese who ended up staying) and has been filling the class accordingly.

Really hated to see Robinson leave. He is going to struggle learning to pass block.

Tunde didn't play much but he was a good representative for AU.

Really hate to see Justin Delaine leave, especially with Ford graduating. He could have seen some serious playing time. Hard to understand why he would leave NOW.

Great to hear that Reese Dismukes will be back. We are less than paper thin at center. Our recruiting has been very disappointing in this area. We need to get a center trained THIS YEAR or we are really up the creek year after next.

I heard the sports radio guys in Mobile talking about Jonathan Wallace transferring, but it sure sounded like they were just speculating to me. I could understand it from a depth chart perspective but Wallace seems to be an AU guy. TIFWIW...which isn't much in my opinion.

While I don't think any of this is shocking, Tre, Robinson, Tunde, Justin Delaine won't be here next year. How does that impact recruiting priorities and numbers if at all.?

WDE

No. The staff was expecting these situations. With 18 leaving as of today we can enroll 23 between now and August. Using WEAU's scholly and player leaving threads in the football forum (I am not counting Kiehl because we don't know if he is transferring yet.) you have 80-14=62+23=85 (scholly limit). That # could grow with attrition. If we sign more than 23 then obviously attrition will have to correspond with the additions.

We are less than paper thin at center. Our recruiting has been very disappointing in this area. We need to get a center trained THIS YEAR or we are really up the creek year after next.

Respectfully disagree. We signed juco Zavier Dampeer as a center and he is on campus now. If he RSes in 2014 he will have 2 years to play after Reese graduates. If he can't pick it up for some reason then Kozan The Barbarian can play Center in 2015 after Reese graduates, especially if we can sign Braden Smith to fill Kozan's Guard spot if needed. Center will be a big priority in the next signing class however.

I heard the sports radio guys in Mobile talking about Jonathan Wallace transferring, but it sure sounded like they were just speculating to me. I could understand it from a depth chart perspective but Wallace seems to be an AU guy. TIFWIW...which isn't much in my opinion.

J-Wall told the Columbus Ledger a few days ago he was not transferring FWIW.

Normal attrition from one August 1st through the following July 31 is 7 to 9 scholarship players dropping out. Coaches know this and allow for it in recruiting. While they don't know WHO those players will be, the numbers are rather consistent.

So far this year we've lost six. D. McNeal, R. Parks, G. Robinson, T. Mason, T. Fariyike and J. Delaine. This may be a high year for attrition numbers, as several normally leave after spring semester when they didn't advance on the depth charts. This attrition is why we cannot sit back at the present time and speculate that in, say, the class of 2016 we'll only be able to sign 15 because of the overall 85 limit. 15 plus 16 slots due to two year's attrition and there are more open slots than we're allowed to sign annually.

Really hate to see Justin Delaine leave, especially with Ford graduating. He could have seen some serious playing time. Hard to understand why he would leave NOW.

Because he is a human being with a life outside of football.

I don't know the specifics, nor should I. It's none of our business. But I assure you that it's enough to thank the man for his contributions to the program and wish him well in his future endeavors (much like any other junior who chooses to move on to the next level or any other pursuit in life).

On top of the commits and signees we have I would like to see us pick up:

OL: Jordan Prestwood, Jordan Sims, Joshua Casher( true center), Cole Hardin. Jordan is a JUCO OG. Sims is a OG but has the size to move to center if need be. Cole Hardin can be a backup at OG or could be moved to C. He is a very intelligent player, requirement for C. Currently committed to Vandy but hope we can turn him with Franklin leaving. Casher is a true C but committed to UAT..

OLB: Rashaan Evans

WR: Josh Malone. Malone is currently committed to Vandy, but I am hoping with Franklin leaving we can turn him.

Just my opinion.

OL: Jordan Prestwood, Jordan Sims, Joshua Casher( true center), Cole Hardin. Jordan is a JUCO OG. Sims is a OG but has the size to move to center if need be. Cole Hardin can be a backup at OG or could be moved to C. He is a very intelligent player, requirement for C. Currently committed to Vandy but hope we can turn him with Franklin leaving. Casher is a true C but committed to UAT..

WR: Josh Malone. Malone is currently committed to Vandy, but I am hoping with Franklin leaving we can turn him.

Just my opinion.

Malone is a strong commit to tennessee and might even be an EE. No chance there

Just my opinion.

He's already enrolled at utk.

Just my opinion.

He's already enrolled at utk.

Thanks for the clarification pops

Parks came back so that's 5 so far in this August cycle.

If he is walking on, it still leaves the 6th spot open, correct?

scholly wise yes. I guess technically scholly wise the attrition is 6, man wise 5.

Gus just said that Robert Leff will be in the mix at LT. It occurred to me that I don't even know if Leff's on scholarship or not. I think he is, but it doesn't matter for the purposes of my question: are there any walkons who might earn an "open" scholarship? I couldn't think of any.

Gus just said that Robert Leff will be in the mix at LT. It occurred to me that I don't even know if Leff's on scholarship or not. I think he is, but it doesn't matter for the purposes of my question: are there any walkons who might earn an "open" scholarship? I couldn't think of any.

Word is the DE transfer Robison from Texas Tech is expected to get one this Spring. Other than that we usually won't know til a few weeks into Fall Practice. There has to be spots open under the 85 to give walk ons schollies.

Word is the DE transfer Robison from Texas Tech is expected to get one this Spring. Other than that we usually won't know til a few weeks into Fall Practice. There has to be spots open under the 85 to give walk ons schollies.

Roger that, thanks

I would imagine that if Parks has shown he truly has matured he would be in line for a scholly in the fall as well. Although I do not know if that is enough time for Gus to make a decision on his desire to be a better teammate.

No. Parks was on scholarship and now is not on scholarship. Therefore he's a number on the attrition list. We may fill a scholarship slot by signing Joe Blow or we may fill a scholarship slot by signing Parks but that doesn't matter. Either one will be a new signee for the purpose of counting players. Today Parks is a walkon and no walkons ever figure into the 85 limit.

Today's news that Frazier is transferring brings this year's attrition number up to seven and we haven't even started spring practice. It's starting to look like this year may be one of those that exceeds the 7 to 9 norm for attrition.

No. Parks was on scholarship and now is not on scholarship. Therefore he's a number on the attrition list. We may fill a scholarship slot by signing Joe Blow or we may fill a scholarship slot by signing Parks but that doesn't matter. Either one will be a new signee for the purpose of counting players. Today Parks is a walkon and no walkons ever figure into the 85 limit.

Today's news that Frazier is transferring brings this year's attrition number up to seven and we haven't even started spring practice. It's starting to look like this year may be one of those that exceeds the 7 to 9 norm for attrition.

Was not sure til now if you only meant scholly attrition. I was thinking person attrition. My mistake.

Was not sure til now if you only meant scholly attrition. I was thinking person attrition. My mistake.

No harm, no foul! :) I have been tracking attrition for years because of its direct effect on the 85 limit and numbers of new players that we can sign. For that purpose, if a player that was on scholarship and hasn't used his eligibility up goes off his football scholarship for whatever reason, that opens an extra slot so I count it.

Archived