2015 4* LB Richard McBryde commits to AU!

EagleDamnWar

Yall think we get mcbryde holland and williams!?

Yeah, I do. The way this defense will work is going to require multiple guys capable of being LB/S/STAR guys. And you can throw some DE guys in this group as well. Versatility is the key.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fully expect to sign both.

^^^what she said

:iamwithstupid:

Talking to oneself is one of the first signs...

I am mainly surprised just considering that we already have 2 star commitments and Jordan Colbert which a lot of people think will play star

Williams, Holland, McBryde and R. Smith are straight-out line backers and we'll sign all four if we can get them. The position needs shoring up. Star has already been thoroughly addressed in this class, even if one or more of them can move to safety.

I am mainly surprised just considering that we already have 2 star commitments and Jordan Colbert which a lot of people think will play star

Williams, Holland, McBryde and R. Smith are straight-out line backers and we'll sign all four if we can get them. The position needs shoring up. Star has already been thoroughly addressed in this class, even if one or more of them can move to safety.

Agreed!

I continue to believe Holland's first look will come at Star. He appears to be athletic enough to play in space, and we want a bigger body. Contrary to what others say, it's not a glorified Safety. We want a LB-sized player with plus athleticism. Holland, like Evans last year, seems to fit that bill.

Regardless, putting together Holland, McBryde, Williams, Colbert, Sullivan, and Atchison gives us a TON of versatile OLB/Star/Safety options. That's all you can ask.

I continue to believe Holland's first look will come at Star. He appears to be athletic enough to play in space, and we want a bigger body. Contrary to what others say, it's not a glorified Safety. We want a LB-sized player with plus athleticism. Holland, like Evans last year, seems to fit that bill.

Regardless, putting together Holland, McBryde, Williams, Colbert, Sullivan, and Atchison gives us a TON of versatile OLB/Star/Safety options. That's all you can ask.

Holland will be a LB. Seriously doubt he plays the Star position while at AU. I agree with you about all our options with this class thou.

We would be best served to quit talking about the "star" position for every LB we're recruiting. That's what lost us Evans last year as the other schools are selling against the star. And unfortunately the other coaches are damn good salesmen.

We would be best served to quit talking about the "star" position for every LB we're recruiting. That's what lost us Evans last year as the other schools are selling against the star. And unfortunately the other coaches are damn good salesmen.

Well, that depends on how well CEJ can sell, too. I think that with the variety of looks it can give, and the fact it can adapt to whatever offense we face, the Star position can end up being quite literally the "star" of the defense. "hey, kid...how'd you like to be the most visible, important player on defense?"

Agreed!

Wish we'd stop talking about Rashaan Evans all together. Time to move on!

For the purposes of discussing "What CEJ Wants In a Recruit for the Star Position", it's very pertinent to mention Evans. I think a lot of us can discuss it without bringing emotion into it. All signs point to CEJ seeing the qualities he wants at Star in Evans. So it would make sense that another recruit who has some combination of Evans's measurables and skillset would be a good candidate for Star. As to what extent any of our current LB prospects fit the bill, I don't know. But Evans is very relavant to the conversation.

As for us "losing Evans because we talked about the Star too much", I don't follow. Should we be signing kids and then letting them tell the coaches what their position is going to be?

For the purposes of discussing "What CEJ Wants In a Recruit for the Star Position", it's very pertinent to mention Evans. I think a lot of us can discuss it without bringing emotion into it. All signs point to CEJ seeing the qualities he wants at Star in Evans. So it would make sense that another recruit who has some combination of Evans's measurables and skillset would be a good candidate for Star. As to what extent any of our current LB prospects fit the bill, I don't know. But Evans is very relavant to the conversation.

As for us "losing Evans because we talked about the Star too much", I don't follow. Should we be signing kids and then letting them tell the coaches what their position is going to be?

If we're talking about skill set by all means talk about Evans, but don't follow it with "That's why we lost him". We've beat that issue to death.

If we're talking about skill set by all means talk about Evans, but don't follow it with "That's why we lost him". We've beat that issue to death.

Good point. I shouldn't have fed into that part of the discussion.

I only used him as an example. My other example is Kam Chancellor. He's really the ideal Star. 6'3" and 235-ish lbs. Starts at Safety in the NFL.

As well as he played last year (and I expect him to be even better this year), Therezie does not meet the measurables we'd like in the position. Holland has already been told he'd get a look at Star so I certainly don't think (1) our coaches are (or should be) ashamed of selling a guy on that position or (2) he's a lock for OLB.

As for McBryde, HE seems like a lock for OLB. I'd love to have him and Darrell Williams in that mix.

saying you want to "move on," but you"wish we'd stop talking about Rashaan Evans all together" sounds paradoxical.

like this guy ...

saying you want to "move on," but you"wish we'd stop talking about Rashaan Evans all together" sounds paradoxical.

like this guy ...

Already explained myself once. Not explaining myself again.

I only used him as an example. My other example is Kam Chancellor. He's really the ideal Star. 6'3" and 235-ish lbs. Starts at Safety in the NFL.

Along that point, kids can change position from college to NFL if they are tweeners by measurables, ie, a healthy sized OLB in college may be more a prototypical Safety in the NFL size-wise. (I have no idea if that's true because I have limited interest in pro sports but probably not far off )

Giving them that mixed experience in college would give them a leg up on the new position in the NFL. Seems like a pretty good sales pitch.

like this guy ...

okay....well good luck "moving on"

like this guy ...

okay....well good luck "moving on"

Maybe this will help you move on....

Come on McBryde, POP! So we can shift entire focus to Holland @ LB...please.

yep, I was thinking the same thing. Come on McBryde, we want you and I think you want us too. GO ahead, it will make you and the AU family feel good.

Archived