2015 4* LB Richard McBryde commits to AU!

EagleDamnWar

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personal opinion, that seems silly. From what I've heard he thinks of himself as a space player with solid pass rush skills. That sounds like the Star spot or... an OLB in the 4-3. Not a safety. He's going to walk into competition with another big signee (Colbert) and possibly others (Sullivan or Atkinson) at strong safety? Let him try it I suppose. Move him later if it doesn't work.

Personal opinion, that seems silly. From what I've heard he thinks of himself as a space player with solid pass rush skills. That sounds like the Star spot or... an OLB in the 4-3. Not a safety. He's going to walk into competition with another big signee (Colbert) and possibly others (Sullivan or Atkinson) at strong safety? Let him try it I suppose. Move him later if it doesn't work.

Then there's Tre Matthews at safety too. From what remarks I've read, McBryde is a fine prospect for OLB in the 4-3. Whoever our new DC is needs to 'splain that to him.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like Mcbride playing Safety means we need another LB which is why we started recruiting Adonis Thomas hard.

Is roquan out of that discussion

I feel like Mcbride playing Safety means we need another LB which is why we started recruiting Adonis Thomas hard.

At different times I've seen different people say that McBryde, Sullivan, Atkinson and Colbert are safetys. That's simply not at all likely, we wouldn't sign four safetys. Two of them, at least, are considered by the staff to be LB's. I think McBryde is one of them that's a LB.

At different times I've seen different people say that McBryde, Sullivan, Atkinson and Colbert are safetys. That's simply not at all likely, we wouldn't sign four safetys. Two of them, at least, are considered by the staff to be LB's. I think McBryde is one of them that's a LB.

Agreed, that's what we should be doing though. Not bringing in safeties to play the linebacker position, letting them set for a few years while they bulk up or throw them in the fire undersized like we have done in the past. EJ just wanted those athletic linebackers that could have range.. translation future safety or nickel back. Jmo

I hoping we can close with one or two true linebackers

Even if a guy starts at Safety, that tells me very little about where he'll finish (Will Herring, Daren Bates, and Karibi Dede all began their careers at Safety, and all of them finished their careers are starting LBs). We see these types of position changes all the time. Jay Ratliff was a TE/DE, but he landed at DT (same for Nosa Eguae). Junior Rosegreen was a CB, until he slide inside to Safety. Even if all or any of those guys begin their careers at Safety, some of them (possibly all four) will factor into the long-term picture at LB.

I was trying to avoid the wholesale position change thing. Dansby came in as a WR. Ben Grubbs came to Auburn as a DE. We've had a lot of success (especially under Tubs) moving guys to entirely different spots. I was focusing solely on growing guys into the next position (teaching some coverage skills on the back, get a little size, move him to LB... that sort of thing).

Throughout the years we have had players grow into a different position. 18 year old boys may still grow a little taller but almost always have room to add muscle mass. I remember a kid named Kevin Greene. I also remember players we didn't recruit because they were to small in High School and not fast enough to be a great receiver DeMarcus Ware as I remember he has done pretty good in the Pro ranks.

So hybrid Safety/LB types in HS often turn out to be players who are easily molded into college LineBackers. If Safety in High School they have to have Cover Skills and Run Support skills. 6'2" or 6'3" 205-215 pounds doesn't take that much to add 15-20 pounds of muscle and become real linebackers. With the proliferation of Spread Offenses this type player is becoming a premium because of the cover skills.

McBryde fits this mold to a T

Even if a guy starts at Safety, that tells me very little about where he'll finish (Will Herring, Daren Bates, and Karibi Dede all began their careers at Safety, and all of them finished their careers are starting LBs). We see these types of position changes all the time. Jay Ratliff was a TE/DE, but he landed at DT (same for Nosa Eguae). Junior Rosegreen was a CB, until he slide inside to Safety. Even if all or any of those guys begin their careers at Safety, some of them (possibly all four) will factor into the long-term picture at LB.

Yeah, that's my point. Not that they are not good players but I just don 't think it's a good sign if safeties are switching to LB.

Yeah, that's my point. Not that they are not good players but I just don 't think it's a good sign if safeties are switching to LB.

I like safeties switching to LB. Good speed and big enough. These past two years we've had the biggest LB's at AU in some time, maybe ever. Give me two or three hitters that can move any day. The "size trumps all" thinking at LB hasn't been working.

I like safeties switching to LB. Good speed and big enough. These past two years we've had the biggest LB's at AU in some time, maybe ever. Give me two or three hitters that can move any day. The "size trumps all" thinking at LB hasn't been working.

I couldn't agree more. Especially with the growth in the use of spread offenses coverage skills are in demand as there is need for linebackers to cover TE's and RB's, in addition to their normal run support.

Mcbride practicing at LB or S for All Star game?

He's a linebacker, why would he practice elsewhere?

Same reason Colbert is practicing at LB. He's a "safety" remember?

Well, Colbert was being recruited for the Star and now he's a Safety all the way. He's not at LB anymore. I think McBryde is a LB flat out and it appears that's where he's gonna be.

Well, Colbert was being recruited for the Star and now he's a Safety all the way. He's not at LB anymore. I think McBryde is a LB flat out and it appears that's where he's gonna be.

Colbert has been recruited strictly as a safety. If Colbert was safety all the way then he wouldn't be playing OLB in the UA game would he? Truly not trying to be an ass, but me asking about Mcbride possibly practicing at safety made Mikey ask me a question like I'm stupid or something. Colbert along with Mcbride would play either IMO just like Kerryon has been practicing at safety.

Colbert has been recruited strictly as a safety. If Colbert was safety all the way then he wouldn't be playing OLB in the UA game would he? Truly not trying to be an ass, but me asking about Mcbride possibly practicing at safety made Mikey ask me a question like I'm stupid or something. Colbert along with Mcbride would play either IMO just like Kerryon has been practicing at safety.

You follow recruiting closely. Never, except in a random post here or there, has McBryde been mentioned as anything but a linebacker. I didn't mean to be insulting but it's puzzling that you'd think a LB would be playing safety in an all star game. Surely they bring in enough players at each position to cover needs? K. Johnson working at DB is a different matter, UAT has been recruiting him for that position all along. Colbert was listed as a LB on the Rivals site the last time I looked.

I have to back up Clayton. Mcbryde explicitly stated he wanted to play safety and that he expected to play safety at Auburn. Because of that, we can't say clayton's question is invalid.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2014/12/08/auburn-commit-mcbryde-hopes-fits-tigers/20120549/

Archived