Bruce Pearl Discussion

CameronCrazy

What NCAA violations were on Trooper Taylor's resume when we hired him? None. Pearl, however.....

Dont mean to hijack, but did Trooper get a job somewhere yet?

Last I heard he was still living off his AU dollah's.

Think Arky State hired the Troopa as DB coach.

wde

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What NCAA violations were on Trooper Taylor's resume when we hired him? None. Pearl, however.....

Dont mean to hijack, but did Trooper get a job somewhere yet?

Last I heard he was still living off his AU dollah's.

Trooper is at Arky State now.

I think there may be some violations on the Troopa's resume.... weren't he and Luper taken off of the road recruiting at AU, but I assume you mean big, probation leading violations. The answer is no, to date (as far as I know), no University has been placed on probation due to the actions of Trooper Taylor. That being said, no University has been put on probation due to the actions Nick Saban either, so Troop is in fine company.

wde

Dave Didion, who was the NCAA compliance officer who worked the Pearl case at Tennessee, is now a member of Auburn's compliance staff. If Pearl is getting serious consideration or ends up being hired, you'd have to feel pretty good about us knowing the inside details of the case before making such a decision. As tight as our compliance people have been on basketball, they won't let him through unless they feel good about it.

Didn't Pearl lie to Didion during that investigation? If so, I can not imagine Didion giving any positive feedback.

AU compliance staff is like the KGB. And if they STILL have an embargo on Komara and his players, then the addition of Dave Didion to the staff would not bode well for a coach Didion put a "show-cause" label on.....

I'm sad about this, I think Bruce is the powerful elixir AU baskeball needs.

The fact that the AU compliance staff allowed Trooper Taylor to be hired and retained on the football staff until 2012 shows they aren't close to KGB. I do believe AU compliance towards basketball is more hard @$$ due to the simple fact that if basketball gets put under the NCAA spotlight, so will football and there is no need to AU basketball to cause problems for AU football. That being posted, the NCAA is totally toothless at this time and we could hire Bruce Pearl as HC with Tark the Shark ,Cliff Ellis and Calipari as his assistants and still not get a sniff.

wde

Trooper Taylor while somewhat sketchy, didn't carry a show-cause on his resume. Pearl's show-cause was handed down from the NCAA investigator that now draws his paycheck from Auburn University.

True. Now, if AU were to actually go after Pearl knowing that to be the case, wouldn't that lead one/you/us to believe that said NCAA investigator signed off on it.

wde

I suppose. Bruce is a hot coaching commodity for any program willing to take on the ncaa baggage.

Dave Didion, who was the NCAA compliance officer who worked the Pearl case at Tennessee, is now a member of Auburn's compliance staff. If Pearl is getting serious consideration or ends up being hired, you'd have to feel pretty good about us knowing the inside details of the case before making such a decision. As tight as our compliance people have been on basketball, they won't let him through unless they feel good about it.

Didn't Pearl lie to Didion during that investigation? If so, I can not imagine Didion giving any positive feedback.

AU compliance staff is like the KGB. And if they STILL have an embargo on Komara and his players, then the addition of Dave Didion to the staff would not bode well for a coach Didion put a "show-cause" label on.....

I'm sad about this, I think Bruce is the powerful elixir AU baskeball needs.

The fact that the AU compliance staff allowed Trooper Taylor to be hired and retained on the football staff until 2012 shows they aren't close to KGB. I do believe AU compliance towards basketball is more hard @$$ due to the simple fact that if basketball gets put under the NCAA spotlight, so will football and there is no need to AU basketball to cause problems for AU football. That being posted, the NCAA is totally toothless at this time and we could hire Bruce Pearl as HC with Tark the Shark ,Cliff Ellis and Calipari as his assistants and still not get a sniff.

wde

Trooper Taylor while somewhat sketchy, didn't carry a show-cause on his resume. Pearl's show-cause was handed down from the NCAA investigator that now draws his paycheck from Auburn University.

True. Now, if AU were to actually go after Pearl knowing that to be the case, wouldn't that lead one/you/us to believe that said NCAA investigator signed off on it.

wde

I suppose. Bruce is a hot coaching commodity for any program willing to take on the ncaa baggage.

True, I think it is unlikely (we will be unable to) that we hire Pearl because he is such a hot coaching commodity as opposed to his NCAA baggage.

I say hire Bruce Pearl. Most people feel that the punishment was way too excessive for the crime. The NCAA has lost a lot of their credibility since then anyway. They give Pearl a show cause for essentially having kids over for a BBQ and then not admitting it. Since then the same NCAA has turned a total blind eye to real corruption at a certain other football program. I can't get too worked up about the little that Pearl did in comparison.

This is basketball after all. Pearl is a good coach who knows what he is doing. Auburn would be lucky to have him if we can get him. Auburn should get the best coach it can and not be concerned with the NCAA especially in this case.

I say hire Bruce Pearl. Most people feel that the punishment was way too excessive for the crime. The NCAA has lost a lot of their credibility since then anyway. They give Pearl a show cause for essentially having kids over for a BBQ and then not admitting it. Since then the same NCAA has turned a total blind eye to real corruption at a certain other football program. I can't get too worked up about the little that Pearl did in comparison.

This is basketball after all. Pearl is a good coach who knows what he is doing. Auburn would be lucky to have him if we can get him. Auburn should get the best coach it can and not be concerned with the NCAA especially in this case.

You are right, we would be lucky to have him, unfortunately I don't see that happening. There are other good hires though so..

They mentioned on PTI tonight that pearl was rumored to be in the running for the AU job! I don't think espn really knows anything about our search but thought that was interesting anyway.

Guest jojo1515

Serious question alert!!!

If we were to hire BP, how would the show cause play out? I assume we could hire him as a "consultant" with a built in contract making him officially the head coach after the show cause expires (in August I belive). Would we dance around and piss off the ncaa by doing this or would we just simply "show cause" and and plead with the NCAA for leniency on the expiration date of said show cause? Any ideas?

If Jay wants to go after Pearl, he'd better do it fast. Grant at bammer might be on his way out the door now. If this does in fact happen, Pearl will be bammers first choice...

If bammer goes after him, he will go there because the boosters will pay for as many players as he needs with no fear of NCAA repercussions.

If we still won't associate with mark kamora, how could we justify hiring Pearl.

The NCAA named Komara a "supporter of AU athletics" or whatever their term is. It's not Auburn's decision not to associate with Komara, it's the NCAA's and it is permanent.

If we still won't associate with mark kamora, how could we justify hiring Pearl.

The NCAA named Komara a "supporter of AU athletics" or whatever their term is. It's not Auburn's decision not to associate with Komara, it's the NCAA's and it is permanent.

sounds unfair.

sounds unfair.

It is totally unfair. Komara never sent a single player to Auburn. The NCAA wanted to start a ruckus with the AAU and they used Auburn, Komara and Cliff Ellis as tools in their game. But unfair or not, it is what it is.

So the NCAA put the kabosh on AU dealing with Komara, and they still won't allow AU to work with him? The NCAA compliance official (Dave Didion) that slapped a show cause on Pearl and sent him to NCAA purgatory for 3 years for lying to him during the BBQ investigation is now employeed in AU compliance..... If the NCAA won't allow AU to deal with Komara after a decade, why would the former NCAA compliance official allow Pearl on the AU staff? Is it just water under the bridge? Didion buried the hatchet and he's over Bruce lying to him? AU compliance is fine with hiring a coach that's still dragging around a show cause sanction for the next 5 months? This is making me dizzy :dead:

The ban from the NCAA on dealing with Komara actually expired in 2006o. Since then, it's a self-imposed ban by Auburn. From a 2010 article by Kevin Scarbinsky:

The director of Southeast Elite is Mark Komara, the key figure in Auburn's 2004 NCAA infractions case, and Auburn still won’t go through Komara to recruit his program's players.

Never mind that the NCAA ban on Auburn's recruiting contact with Komara ended in 2006.

"It's not that they can't recruit our players," Komara said. "They won't go through me.

"That's perfectly fine with me for any college coaches. I'd rather they go through the high school coaches and the parents.

"I don't want to get involved in any recruiting. I'm 100 percent out of it."

Auburn got hit with NCAA probation six years ago, right after Lebo accepted the job knowing he was about to inherit sanctions not of his making.

The key and controversial issue: The previous Auburn staff's recruiting of two Komara players who signed with other schools. The NCAA Infractions Committee declared Komara a representative of Auburn's athletics interests.

The committee chairman said Komara was the first so-called AAU coach or team sponsor deemed a booster. That ruling didn't seem to fit the evidence, which was a lot of phone calls between Auburn coaches and Komara, the kind of calls college coaches make to AAU coaches all the time.

Still, Auburn self-imposed a ban on recruiting through Komara, and the NCAA extended it to April 26, 2006, the official end of the school's probation.

Auburn has continued that ban to this day.

http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2010/02/scarbinsky_auburn_hoops_still.html

Serious question alert!!!

If we were to hire BP, how would the show cause play out? I assume we could hire him as a "consultant" with a built in contract making him officially the head coach after the show cause expires (in August I belive). Would we dance around and piss off the ncaa by doing this or would we just simply "show cause" and and plead with the NCAA for leniency on the expiration date of said show cause? Any ideas?

I think, at this point, hiring him would not cause any issues with the NCAA. The restrictions as far as recruiting and such would still be in effect til August.

Can anyone summarize or give a little insight to what Pearl had to say?

Former Tennessee basketball coach Bruce Pearl was confronted with questions about the open Auburn job on WJOX-FM in Birmingham on Friday. What was Pearl's response? Details inside:

From Rivals

Only quotes I've seen so far:

"It's been a busy time. I went up against Tony Barbee when I was at Tennessee and I thought he did a good job coaching. He could never get that roster to the point it needed to be. Auburn's a great school and a great place. It's going to attract a lot of interest. I'm working at ESPN and I enjoy my job -- because of my show-cause I had to move forward. Basketball is still very much in my life. A lot will depend on timing and the right fit. Over the course, we'll look and see and gauge the interest."

"I'm really happy to talk about where I'm at, and not about where other folks are at. I will definitely listen. It's an honor and flattering."

Archived