Bruce Pearl Discussion

CameronCrazy

Well if this is the choice then I certainly will stand with him and support him and the program. I hope he has truly learned from his mistakes and is a changed man.

We're in the same boat.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Browsing back through this thread, it appears some of you who were so absolutely sure we'd never hire Pearl could be a tad disappointed. Unless I know something for a fact, I try to stay away from absolutes because it can make a person look pretty silly in hindsight. Now bring on BP and let's get the dang ship headed in the right direction.

Browsing back through this thread, it appears some of you who were so absolutely sure we'd never hire Pearl could be a tad disappointed. Unless I know something for a fact, I try to stay away from absolutes because it can make a person look pretty silly in hindsight. Now bring on BP and let's get the dang ship headed in the right direction.

I will admit I was of the mind that he would never come to Auburn. I hope I was wrong.

Jay needs to pull the trigger on Pearl before somebody else snags him. Pay the man!

We won't be paying Pearl for the same reasons we aren't paying Petrino. Auburn can and will find a coach without Pearl's baggage and the idea that "this is the only coach that can win at Auburn" is simply not true.

Dave Didion was the NCAA compliance person that worked Pearl's case. He is now at Auburn in our compliance department. He has given the green light to pursuing Pearl if we can get him. Given that level of understanding of the facts of the case paired with how strict our compliance department has been on basketball, that tells me his so-called "baggage" is more like a pencil pouch than a suitcase. I think it's more a matter if we can come to a mutual agreement with Pearl than some unequal comparison to Petrino.

Thanks for this info. I didn't know it, and I was having an immediate reaction similar to Mikey's. However, what you've said here makes me think I was wrong to think that way.

I will say that I very much hope that Pearl runs things correctly if hired at Auburn. I'm not one of the folks who believes that 'everyone is dirty' is a good excuse/justification. What's more important to me than Pearl's past mistakes is how he conducts himself in the future.

I have a feeling if this goes down like the rumors suggest, it also doesn't hurt from the NCAA's point of view to have a guy like Didion in Auburn's compliance department to keep an eye on Pearl. So it's good from both sides. We get real insider info on the specifics of the Pearl case on our team and the NCAA has a guy they know and trust now at Auburn to make sure everything stays on the up an up.

If exposure is what they want, announcing it this afternoon while Pearl is on the air doing studio commentary for the SEC Championship game might be the way to go. Plus it would likely get some mentions during the selection shows for the NCAA tourney.

Guest jojo1515

Get up Jay! Time to make the announcement!

THIS!!! I know its extremely premature, but Im almost getting excited about AU basketball.....that hasnt happened since we were a number 1 seed in th tourney. Needless to say, its been quite a while. Come on Jay and UNLOOSE THE BRUCE!

I'd do it shortly before the sec championship broadcast today and watch as the story blows up. Timing gentlemen.

Lol at the people that were quoting and downing people who suggested pearl.

Why? He's not been hired yet and even if he is there's no cause to laugh at others for expressing their opinions. You are constantly doing the childish "LOL" thing and then if the deal turns away from your position you disappear only to LOL at the next situation.

Guest jojo1515

No one's blasting anyone. Everyone dial back the "take offense" meter several clicks.

Thats very offensive. Are you saying we are so behind in technology that we are still using dials? Uncalled for...

I will admit I was of the mind that he would never come to Auburn. I hope I was wrong.

Nothing wrong with thinking he won't be at AU or even not wanting him here for those few in the anti-BP crowd. It's the whole absolute and certain tone that makes people look foolish when stuff happens that they said would never, ever happen. Heck, I'm on record in this thread as saying i didn't think we could get Pearl but it's because I'm skeptical of our admin, not because I'm not in the BP to AU bandwagon. I just try to give myself a little wiggle room when things change. :)

If exposure is what they want, announcing it this afternoon while Pearl is on the air doing studio commentary for the SEC Championship game might be the way to go. Plus it would likely get some mentions during the selection shows for the NCAA tourney.

It might be a little awkward to announce it while he's on the air. If this is real, I'd expect them to "leak" the info as soon as BP is done with his on air duties, then get him on a jet to Auburn as quickly as possible for a press conference to introduce him as our new head coach, maybe right after the selection show.

I am tired of Auburn being the doormat for the rest of the SEC to wipe thier collective basketball sneakers on. I am tired of going to Auburn Arena and witnessing my Tigers lose more than they win. I am tired of seeing a half-full arena except for when Kentucky, Florida and bammer come to town. I am tired of losing records in several consecutive seasons. I am tired of one and done each year in the SEC tourney. I can only speak for myself, but if there is any way to bring in a top caliber coach to turn this mess around, then we need to go for it. Plain and simple, JJ needs to get Bruce Pearl in the fold and maybe the things I am tired of will fade away. WDE!

Nothing wrong with thinking he won't be at AU or even not wanting him here for those few in the anti-BP crowd. It's the whole absolute and certain tone that makes people look foolish when stuff happens that they said would never, ever happen. Heck, I'm on record in this thread as saying i didn't think we could get Pearl but it's because I'm skeptical of our admin, not because I'm not in the BP to AU bandwagon. I just try to give myself a little wiggle room when things change. :)/>

You and I see eye to eye. I have wanted Bruce Pearl since about midway through the season when it looked like another exercise in futility. Like you, I didn't think the AD would go after such a stellar coach, and I wasn't sure BP would give us the time of day.

Lol at the people that were quoting and downing people who suggested pearl.

Why? He's not been hired yet and even if he is there's no cause to laugh at others for expressing their opinions. You are constantly doing the childish "LOL" thing and then if the deal turns away from your position you disappear only to LOL at the next situation.

Don't remember anything turning away from position lately. I've been right about most of the stuff I've spoke on. And I'm not laughing at people that express their opinions but I do laugh at people that shot down other people's opinions and then they are the ones that turn out to be wrong. I must have hit a nerve with you

Nothing wrong with thinking he won't be at AU or even not wanting him here for those few in the anti-BP crowd. It's the whole absolute and certain tone that makes people look foolish when stuff happens that they said would never, ever happen. Heck, I'm on record in this thread as saying i didn't think we could get Pearl but it's because I'm skeptical of our admin, not because I'm not in the BP to AU bandwagon. I just try to give myself a little wiggle room when things change. :)/>

aww comes on, take a position don't sit on the fence.

Exactly

aww comes on, take a position don't sit on the fence.

50/50 then. :)

Archived