Bruce Pearl Discussion

CameronCrazy

But didn't these 2 allow the football field be named after Pat Dye, who got Auburn in trouble with the NCAA?

Very disappointed you would make that comparison and that is the second time in this thread you have tried to drag Coach Dye into the discussion. Do you by chance know the circumstances of that probation or only the fact the Pat Dye was our coach then? What the heck has you so fired up about Bruce Pearl anyway? It's already been pointed out he is not even interested in us.

Personally, I don't like Pearl and don't want him even if he didn't have the NCAA problems.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But didn't these 2 allow the football field be named after Pat Dye, who got Auburn in trouble with the NCAA?

Very disappointed you would make that comparison and that is the second time in this thread you have tried to drag Coach Dye into the discussion. Do you by chance know the circumstances of that probation or only the fact the Pat Dye was our coach then? What the heck has you so fired up about Bruce Pearl anyway? It's already been pointed out he is not even interested in us.

Personally, I don't like Pearl and don't want him even if he didn't have the NCAA problems.

First of all, if you actually read my first post, you would see in it that I have nothing but respect for Coach Dye and what he did for AU. In my opinion, he is a lot responsible for the success AU has had since he stepped on the field and to this day. When some folks start talking about Bruce Pearl not being even worthy of mention for the coaching position due to NCAA troubles, I think it's only fair to bring up that under Coach Dye, AU had NCAA problems. I am not trying to :drag" Coach Dye into anything, but am only responding to what I see is a hypocritical issue with Coach Pearl. You don't want Pearl, that';s fine. I don't recall reading or hearing anything on any sports report that he wouldn't be interested in coaching at AU, but if he isn't, who could blame him?

First of all, if you actually read my first post, you would see in it that I have nothing but respect for Coach Dye and what he did for AU. In my opinion, he is a lot responsible for the success AU has had since he stepped on the field and to this day. When some folks start talking about Bruce Pearl not being even worthy of mention for the coaching position due to NCAA troubles, I think it's only fair to bring up that under Coach Dye, AU had NCAA problems. I am not trying to :drag" Coach Dye into anything, but am only responding to what I see is a hypocritical issue with Coach Pearl. You don't want Pearl, that';s fine. I don't recall reading or hearing anything on any sports report that he wouldn't be interested in coaching at AU, but if he isn't, who could blame him?

I read your posts. I still think you brought up Coach Dye unnecessarily because the situations are different and not hypocritical in my opinion.

Also, you didn't answer my question. Do you know the circumstances of that probation or only that Pat dye was our coach when it happened?

I read your posts. I still think you brought up Coach Dye unnecessarily because the situations are different and not hypocritical in my opinion.

Also, you didn't answer my question. Do you know the circumstances of that probation or only that Pat dye was our coach when it happened?

You can enlighten me as to the circumstances of that probation. All I remember is Ramsey recorded coaches offering him illegal benefits. He was mad that his coaches wouldn't help him get an NFL job, so he had his lawyer publish the recordings in the newspaper timed to come out for Auburn games to maximize the damage. Coach Dye resigned. Auburn went on probation.

In your opinion, it's not hypocritical. In mine, it is. Ramsey recorded conversations he had with Coach Dye who directed him where to go to get assistance. It was against NCAA rules, regardless of how well-meaning Dye or Blakely may have been. The NCAA put Auburn on probation and Pat Dye resigned because of it. So, do you know something else no one else knows? My posts are not slamming Coach Dye, regardless of how you read them. It's slamming the hypocrisy of those who oppose Bruce Pearl because of his problems with the NCAA, when AU has had coaches who've also had issues with the NCAA. I guess I should have included Cliff Ellis in that, too.

My posts are not slamming Coach Dye, regardless of how you read them. It's slamming the hypocrisy of those who oppose Bruce Pearl because of his problems with the NCAA, when AU has had coaches who've also had issues with the NCAA. I guess I should have included Cliff Ellis in that, too.

Dye had NCAA problems and because of those problems resigned. Ellis ran into NCAA problems and because of those problems resigned/got fired (take your pick). Doesn't that pretty much tell you we aren't going to go out and HIRE somebody that has a history of NCAA problems?

My posts are not slamming Coach Dye, regardless of how you read them. It's slamming the hypocrisy of those who oppose Bruce Pearl because of his problems with the NCAA, when AU has had coaches who've also had issues with the NCAA. I guess I should have included Cliff Ellis in that, too.

Dye had NCAA problems and because of those problems resigned. Ellis ran into NCAA problems and because of those problems resigned/got fired (take your pick). Doesn't that pretty much tell you we aren't going to go out and HIRE somebody that has a history of NCAA problems?

It tells me exactly that. I do agree that the poster did have a valid point that some vilify guys like Pearl, etc and praise Dye. It does hint at being hypocritical.

I don't think the Auburn hierarchy will bring in anyone with a questionable NCAA background. I think they will roll the dice on another up and comer and cross their fingers they don't get burnt again.

Who cares, you dont remember the hard times you remember the good times. Il take Ellis over the last 2 we have had. Unless it affects football, everything is fair game to win in basketball. Everyone else does it, and that does make it right regardless of what your mom said. I want an experienced coach in there. No more up and coming. Lets not forget or let off the hook Jacobs because he made a great hire in CGM. It is still the worst AU sports we have seen in a very long time.

Who cares, you dont remember the hard times you remember the good times. Il take Ellis over the last 2 we have had. Unless it affects football, everything is fair game to win in basketball. Everyone else does it, and that does make it right regardless of what your mom said. I want an experienced coach in there. No more up and coming. Lets not forget or let off the hook Jacobs because he made a great hire in CGM. It is still the worst AU sports we have seen in a very long time.

Man I can't believe that any AU grad would sacrifice the reputation of the school to win a few basketball games? Thankfully this is probably the minority viewpoint.

Man I can't believe that any AU grad would sacrifice the reputation of the school to win a few basketball games? Thankfully this is probably the minority viewpoint.

I was kind of joking, and I wrote I wanted an experienced coach. I have been wanting Tubby Smith for a while. I just want a basketball team again. Small indiscretions here and there do not hurt anybody.

I agree. If and when, another up&comer will be brought in. Finances.

I ask again..when was the last time that any school in the SEC (other than Kentucky) was able to convince a successful Div 1 coach to take a job in the conference?

Winning Div 1 basketball coaches usually stay where they are until they get fired. Check every SEC coaching hire in the last 15-20 years and see where the guys came from...mostly the mid-majors...just like our last five or Bama's last 5 or maybe Georgia's where they fired Tubby. Some do well but most struggle regardless of what they did at their previous schools.

Edit: Cliff's indiscretions killed our program for several years after he left

I ask again..when was the last time that any school in the SEC (other than Kentucky) was able to convince a successful Div 1 coach to take a job in the conference?

2007, Florida and Billy Donovan ;)

Win on the technicality!

Win on the technicality!

Good job... :bow:

I forgot about that one week career in the NBA though at that point, moving from the Magic back to the Gators could have been considered as step up.

AU.....I'm not a JJ hater. I know him and think he is a nice guy. I would love to have him as a next door neighbor. But yes I serous that I think JJ is over his head as our AD and needs to be replaced just as much a Barbee does. But I don't think we should fire JJ. I just wish he would retire. JMHO.

I agree. If and when, another up&comer will be brought in. Finances.

Winning Div 1 basketball coaches usually stay where they are until they get fired. Check every SEC coaching hire in the last 15-20 years and see where the guys came from...mostly the mid-majors...just like our last five or Bama's last 5 or maybe Georgia's where they fired Tubby. Some do well but most struggle regardless of what they did at their previous schools.

Edit: Cliff's indiscretions killed our program for several years after he left

Frank Martin and Mike Anderson

Martin was good at KState and Anderson was good at Missouri. Both hires were pretty surprising considering they were both successful before moving onto South Carolina and Arkansas.

Guest jojo1515

Is it time for AU to start looking for a new basketball coach? if so I'd vote for Bruce Pearl or Chuck Person.

Okay A4e, I know you've been around here a while, but that can't be a real question, can it? Is it time ???? LOL Its so far past time that the clock keeping that time's batteries are dead and the hour and minute hands have rotted off.

Frank Martin would turn around the program I think, and he is a total hard-ass. But didn't he just move jobs from KSU to S. Car? I doubt he'd go from bottom half of the SEC program to pretty much the very bottom. Why would he leave SC for Auburn? Sure, he wanted to move closer to the south from KSU to be closer to his roots but....if I'm a semi-established coach why would I move from one rebuilding project to another which is much tougher to dig out of?

Frank Martin would turn around the program I think, and he is a total hard-ass. But didn't he just move jobs from KSU to S. Car? I doubt he'd go from bottom half of the SEC program to pretty much the very bottom. Why would he leave SC for Auburn? Sure, he wanted to move closer to the south from KSU to be closer to his roots but....if I'm a semi-established coach why would I move from one rebuilding project to another which is much tougher to dig out of?

I don't know if you're talking about me, but I wasn't saying that we should go after Martin or Anderson. I was just answering his question since he thinks that SEC teams outside of UK aren't able to hire a successful coach.

Pearl to AU

No.

No. No.No. He's bad news. Why on earth do any of you want the guy who got in big trouble at TN to become the coach at Auburn? What is the matter with you people?

BP has no ethics. He's a sleaze. AU deserves better than that. The AU compliance dept. would never get along with BP and that relationship would be a disaster. He would get AU in trouble again and that would set the BB program back so far it would never recover. The AU BB program is still suffering from the Cliff Ellis fiasco. Why hire another guy who is worse and maybe dig an even deeper hole????

Maybe it's time for a change and maybe not. But BP is sure as heck not the answer.

Guest jojo1515

Tigerbelle, you do realize that his only transgression was allowing recruits at a cookout and lying about it and a couple extra phone calls.. the NCAA only hammered him because he lied about it. had he not lied about it the only infractions he would have suffered would have been to not have contact with those recruits for a certain period of time. I'm betting he learned his lesson about lying to the NCAA. trying to cover up one small mistake to me does not make a guy sleaze ball.

Archived