Bruce Pearl Discussion

CameronCrazy

Have you ever made a mistake or bad decision?

That's not the point...maybe you can't figure it out but it's about making mistakes (as in more than one) that gets you and your school in big trouble...and by "big trouble" I mean ground breaking punishment that prevented him for coaching for a number of years. Don't know how I can say it more strongly but hiring a known NCAA "felon" would just be DUMB.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been saying that there is no way we could afford Pearl. I did a little investigating. Pearl was making $2 mill. a year at UT. We are paying Barbee $1.5 mill.. We can certainly afford $2 mill. for Pearl and I hope we go after him with everything we have. There is no reason that our bball program should be so putrid. Pearl is a known name and could recruit some quality players. That is the first step to turning our program around. He can coach in our league. That is the second step.

A few thoughts on the matter:

1) If we don't hire Pearl, I have a feeling Alabama will... That coach won't last through this year from what I'm hearing. They have proven they will do whatever it takes to win.

2) My only hesitation is that people with past NCAA problems have them again. Pushing the envelope is one thing, but just doing things until you get caught is another. Ralph Sampson, Rick Neuheisel, Lane Kiffin come to mind. I'd lump Bruce Pearl into that argument.

3) Tennessee is not Auburn. Tennessee had a history of basketball success (it was women's basketball, but it was there) and is very close to North Carolina/Virginia/Kentucky where the recruits are. Auburn has had no sustained success in the past for basketball, as far as I can remember. It's been 2-3 years of teams that make runs and then go back to being .500 or worse.

4) All is not bad news, however. Auburn did just spend that money on the new arena, so the facilities are there if the right coach can come in and build the program. I agree that we should take a young hire first, but Pearl is a winner and a true coach. I think he would absolutely gel with the Auburn Family. That man bleeds his school colors wherever he is. I want Auburn to make the hire.

You are absolutely right about Alabama. I would HATE to have to play against Bruce Pearl at Alabama.

As far as repeat offenders pushing the envelope, how many of those guys that you mentioned called the NCAA to tell them that he had lied?

Bruce has proven that he will be a tremendous ambassador for whatever program that he coaches. If you combine that with Charles Barkeley's support in the media, then we could really get Auburn's name back out there on a National level for recruiting purposes.

Bruce Pearl has proven that he can recruit and he can coach in this league. We are attrocious in basketball right now. It's going to take the right guy to rebuild our basketball program. Bruce Pearl is that guy.

I am shocked at how many of you think Pearl would fit in with our alumni. The Bruce Pearl I remember does not seem like the kind of coach that would like Auburn and vice versa.

A lot of my UT friends believe that Pearl will return to coach there.

If there were a vacancy, it wouldn't surprise me. Coach Martin will likely be at UT awhile though.

Bruce Pearl will not coach at AUburn. It's just not going to happen.

If there were a vacancy, it wouldn't surprise me. Coach Martin will likely be at UT awhile though.

I think the natives are getting à bit restless. Losing to TAMU did not make them happy.

You know that and I know that. The reasons are the same as the reasons why Petrino was never going to coach at Auburn. Yet there was endless praise of "Changed Man Petrino" and how he was the only one out there that could breathe life back into Auburn football.

What happened after we DIDN'T hire Petrino is ample evidence that Auburn does not have to scrape the bottom of the garbage barrel to get quality coaching here.

You know that and I know that. The reasons are the same as the reasons why Petrino was never going to coach at Auburn. Yet there was endless praise of "Changed Man Petrino" and how he was the only one out there that could breathe life back into Auburn football.

What happened after we DIDN'T hire Petrino is ample evidence that Auburn does not have to scrape the bottom of the garbage barrel to get quality coaching here.

:thumbsup:

Some of Bruce's known 'events'...

'08 had a handful of recruits over at his house, one was a HS Junior.. NCAA violation

Lied to NCAA investigator about the event.. NCAA violation

Asked recruit's father to also lie about the event.. NCAA violation

Exceeded the limit for calls/texts to recruits.. NCAA violation

Hid a drug problem by one of his players from the school to keep him eligible, lied & called it a back injury

Violated a ticket allotment policy for some of his players for the Kentucky game

'88 coerced a recruit to admit he took cash and a car to attend a rival school (illinois?) after losing out on the kid

...the kid didn't in fact, Pearl had bothered him so much about it he said he did it to get Pearl to leave him alone.

...Pearl turned over the convo to the NCAA. -UrbanMeyer DanMullen anyone?

Pearl is a great coach, he also went above and beyond to help UT athletics while he was there. Continued to help after

he was no longer employed. Raised money and did everything he could to support both the men's and women's programs. Maybe his past is insignificant enough for some to overlook. Maybe he's learned his lesson.

Maybe he's not that bad of a person. None of it will matter.

Auburn Basketball nets around $1.8 million a year for the men, and -$3.6 million for the women.. -$1.8ish for the entire program.

It would probably take somewhere north of $2.5 plus incentives as a starting point to draw any interest from Pearl. He'll get that at a more desirable job. He made $3.1 at UT before the NCAA debacle.

Barbee currently makes $1.5 with incentives of another possible $600k. Also, should he be fired, AU will owe him $750,000 a year through 2017.

So bringing Pearl in could be and probably would be a good investment in the long run (if he stayed clean), but it will put the entire basketball program at least -$3.5 million in the hole. I don't think AU makes that kind of financial commitment with a coach who has that kind of NCAA track record. Nor do they give him the control he'll need and ask for.

1) If we don't hire Pearl, I have a feeling Alabama will... That coach won't last through this year from what I'm hearing. They have proven they will do whatever it takes to win.

2) My only hesitation is that people with past NCAA problems have them again. Pushing the envelope is one thing, but just doing things until you get caught is another. Ralph Sampson, Rick Neuheisel, Lane Kiffin come to mind. I'd lump Bruce Pearl into that argument.

3) Tennessee is not Auburn. Tennessee had a history of basketball success (it was women's basketball, but it was there) and is very close to North Carolina/Virginia/Kentucky where the recruits are. Auburn has had no sustained success in the past for basketball, as far as I can remember. It's been 2-3 years of teams that make runs and then go back to being .500 or worse.

4) All is not bad news, however. Auburn did just spend that money on the new arena, so the facilities are there if the right coach can come in and build the program. I agree that we should take a young hire first, but Pearl is a winner and a true coach. I think he would absolutely gel with the Auburn Family. That man bleeds his school colors wherever he is. I want Auburn to make the hire.

Bama...picking up UTk's trash...,,,LK and possibly BP? :dunno: .....that's gotta make a real Bama fan proud... don't you think?

Bama...picking up UTk's trash...,,,LK and possibly BP? :dunno:/> .....that's gotta make a real Bama fan proud... don't you think?

Truth be told I don't think they care. It would not bother them in the least. There is nothing they won't do in pursuit of wins.

Living in Nashville, I can tell you one thing for sure: Bruce Pearl ain't gonna coach again at utk. Sure, there are some who wistfully think it, but they aren't the PTB.

“@SInow: Is Bruce Pearl ready to return to coaching? He's willing to listen: http://on.si.com/1e9LKvc (via @SethDavisHoops)”

While I may agree that Pearl isn't the ideal candidate, I think he's exactly what this university needs right now. He's energetic. He can rebuild our program and put it back on the map. Here's Dick Vitale's response to the above tweet and the Sports Illustrated article. I think College Basketball's biggest ambassador will help promote Bruce Pearl and AU baaketball.

“@DickieV: @SInow @SethDavisHoops His penalty was too severe when u see some of the other penalties that have been given out.”

I'll say this- 1) Lumping Pearl in with the likes of Petrino and that sort is laughable. 2) IMO, many if not most college basketball coaches seem shady and seem to break rules, at least to some degree. The whole sport, from recruiting on down is questionable at best. 3) In the end, I think we'll get a coach most of us are unhappy with and his name won't be Bruce Pearl, he'll be winning somewhere else. My guess is Barbee 2.0 for us with a hope it pans out. JMO.

'08 had a handful of recruits over at his house, one was a HS Junior.. NCAA violation

Hid a drug problem by one of his players from the school to keep him eligible, lied & called it a back injury

Violated a ticket allotment policy for some of his players for the Kentucky game

'88 coerced a recruit to admit he took cash and a car to attend a rival school (illinois?) after losing out on the kid

...the kid didn't in fact, Pearl had bothered him so much about it he said he did it to get Pearl to leave him alone.

Do none of the things outlined here by AUpocalypse make any impression? Is this stuff "just some minor event(s)? Does "everybody does it" make these things right? Yes, I'd lump Pearl right in there with Petrino. At least Petrino had a hot young girlfriend and could claim to be blinded by love. Pearl did this sleazy stuff to beat the NCAA's rules. Period. I don't want him at Auburn and the folks making decisions don't want him here either. One 18 month NCAA investigation was enough!

It doesn't matter because I don't think Pearl to AU is gonna happen, but for the record, what Pearl did is not in the same league as what Petrino did. Everybody had different value systems I suppose though. I do wonder what folks would think if someone like Calipari wanted to come to AU. I would like to think the same standard would apply. In reality, I have no doubt folks could look past any troubles to get a guy like that.

It doesn't matter because I don't think Pearl to AU is gonna happen, but for the record, what Pearl did is not in the same league as what Petrino did. Everybody had different value systems I suppose though. I do wonder what folks would think if someone like Calipari wanted to come to AU. I would like to think the same standard would apply. In reality, I have no doubt folks could look past any troubles to get a guy like that.

So you think what Petrino did is worse than what Pearl did? Huh... I kinda think the opposite. They both lied to their boss. One cheated on his spouse and one cheated the game. None of my business as far as his fidelity goes, but getting my alma mater in trouble does bother me.

As far as Cal goes, he has never been accused by the NCAA of wrong doing personally. The schools were found to have made a violation but not Coach Cal. Therefore I would have no trouble with us bringing in a coach with his past. Again, Pearl lied about his NCAA violations more than once and tried to drag a kid into it as well. I don't like the guy.

Calipari has never fired that's correct...he was able to skip town not once but twice before the hammer fell and left the schools to deal with it- Pete Carroll should thank him for blazing the trail. He is the only coach to have been to 4 Final Fours but only be credited with 2 since the other two were officially vacated by the NCAA. Nick Saban has also never been found guilt of major NCAA violations, guess Bammer must be doing nothing wrong either with that line of thinking.

In his 21 official seasons (22 seasons overall, with one entire season later being vacated) as a collegiate head coach, Calipari's record is 539–166 (.765). His teams have made 14 NCAA tournament appearances (12 official, due to 2 later being vacated), including reaching the Sweet Sixteen 10 times (8 official, due to 2 later being vacated), the Elite Eight 8 times (6 official, due to 2 later being vacated), the Final Four 4 times (2 official, due to 2 later being vacated), and the NCAA Championship Game twice (once officially), winning the NCAA Championship at Kentucky in 2012 (with the previous 2008 Championship Game appearance at Memphis later being vacated by the NCAA). As a college coach, Calipari has 19 20-win seasons (18 official) and 8 30-win seasons (7 official). He has coached 6 teams to the NIT, winning the NIT Championship at Memphis in 2002.

I'm not going to get in a pro-Pearl/ anti-Pearl debate, frankly I don't care much either way about the guy. I wouldn't have a problem IF we did bring him in though and I'll wager I'm not the only one who feels this way. Are there better fits and/or more viable potential options? Yes, certainly. Could we make a worse hire than bringing in Bruce Pearl? You bet cha and probably will. WDE.

Do none of the things outlined here by AUpocalypse make any impression? Is this stuff "just some minor event(s)? Does "everybody does it" make these things right? Yes, I'd lump Pearl right in there with Petrino. At least Petrino had a hot young girlfriend and could claim to be blinded by love. Pearl did this sleazy stuff to beat the NCAA's rules. Period. I don't want him at Auburn and the folks making decisions don't want him here either. One 18 month NCAA investigation was enough!

You know for an absolute fact that none of the PTB at Auburn don't want Bruce Pearl? Are you related to one of them, or are you actually one of them? Please tell us how you are so into what the decision-makers at AU do or don't want as far as a basketball coach.

You know for an absolute fact that none of the PTB at Auburn don't want Bruce Pearl? Are you related to one of them, or are you actually one of them? Please tell us how you are so into what the decision-makers at AU do or don't want as far as a basketball coach.

I don't think you have to look any further than Dr. Gouge on that point. He has said enough on various subjects to let me know that he won't risk sullying Auburn's good name by hiring a guy like Pearl.

Pretty much what AU64 said. I know enough about Dr. Gouge and JJ to know that Pearl won't be on any list of AU candidates, no matter how long said list might be or how desperate certain alumni factions may become.

Pretty much what AU64 said. I know enough about Dr. Gouge and JJ to know that Pearl won't be on any list of AU candidates, no matter how long said list might be or how desperate certain alumni factions may become.

But didn't these 2 allow the football field be named after Pat Dye, who got Auburn in trouble with the NCAA?

But didn't these 2 allow the football field be named after Pat Dye, who got Auburn in trouble with the NCAA?

Gogue came on board in 2007. The field was named after Dye in the fall of 2005.

Jay Jacobs played for Coach Dye. He knows more about CPD than any of us here and I doubt he sees things that way. I expect that JJ has nothing but the utmost respect for him.

Technically, Blakeney and Corky the booster got AU into trouble. Dye just 'knew' about the improprieties ;)

Archived