Bruce Pearl Discussion

CameronCrazy

If AU does fire Barbee--which, at least to me, is inevitable--whoever is hired will have one helluva mess to clean up. I think the new person would have a bigger mess than Barbee did when he took over from Lebo. Is Sonny Smith available?

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry JoJo but you are either too young to remember the Bruce Pearl issues or perhaps have a short memory. And also perhaps you are not familiar with the saying that "it's not the crime, it's the cover up that gets you in the most trouble".

Pearl lied to the NCAA, lied to his bosses and encouraged other people to lie to the NCAA....among other things.

http://www.govolsxtr...was-last-straw/

Sorry JoJo but you are either too young to remember the Bruce Pearl issues or perhaps have a short memory. And also perhaps you are not familiar with the saying that "it's not the crime, it's the cover up that gets you in the most trouble".

Pearl lied to the NCAA, lied to his bosses and encouraged other people to lie to the NCAA....among other things.

So I take it in your opinion, Pearl doesn't deserve a second chance? I understand what he did and I am sure that he has learned from it. I want to win again in BB. I really abhor paying someone over a mil a year to not win a conference game. Heck I could do that and you never know...I might win one.... Pearl could put buts in seats and put a good program together....we could win some conference games....

So I take it in your opinion, Pearl doesn't deserve a second chance? I understand what he did and I am sure that he has learned from it. I want to win again in BB. I really abhor paying someone over a mil a year to not win a conference game. Heck I could do that and you never know...I might win one.... Pearl could put buts in seats and put a good program together....we could win some conference games....

And I take it that you think there is no other possible coach that could do that? That AU's only chance to build a respectable basketball program is hire a convicted NCAA felon? ...and just hope that under pressure to win, he will not revert to previous form and "do whatever it takes" ?

Meanwhile if that guy was really somebody's basketball savior, schools should be lined up at his door 'cause there a lots of Div 1 schools in the pits right now....and desperate as some of them appear to be, BP is still doing his TV gig.

Meanwhile if you are looking for "second chances"....find a church...they specialize in that kind of thing.

And I take it that you think there is no other possible coach that could do that? That AU's only chance to build a respectable basketball program is hire a convicted NCAA felon? ...and just hope that under pressure to win, he will not revert to previous form and "do whatever it takes" ?

Meanwhile if that guy was really somebody's basketball savior, schools should be lined up at his door 'cause there a lots of Div 1 schools in the pits right now....and desperate as some of them appear to be, BP is still doing his TV gig.

Meanwhile if you are looking for "second chances"....find a church...they specialize in that kind of thing.

Well look at our track record so far in hiring coaches....at least you know Pearl is a good coach and can win. Are there others out there? Sure...but will our AD find one that will work for us and knows the SEC? I doubt it but hey blind squirrels and all.... oh...and don't you think felon is a little harsh? I do...there are many coaches who have done far more wrongs than he did...his major problem was panic and lie about it along with trying to get others to help in his cover up...

Pearl to AU

No.

No. No.No. He's bad news. Why on earth do any of you want the guy who got in big trouble at TN to become the coach at Auburn? What is the matter with you people?

BP has no ethics. He's a sleaze. AU deserves better than that. The AU compliance dept. would never get along with BP and that relationship would be a disaster. He would get AU in trouble again and that would set the BB program back so far it would never recover. The AU BB program is still suffering from the Cliff Ellis fiasco. Why hire another guy who is worse and maybe dig an even deeper hole????

Maybe it's time for a change and maybe not. But BP is sure as heck not the answer.

Great post! We won't be hiring Pearl for the same reasons we didn't hire Petrino. Not hiring Petrino worked out pretty well and proved that Auburn doesn't have to go dumpster diving to get a good coach. Besides which: have any of you pushing Pearl actually watched the guy, looked at his manner of doing things? There is nothing about the guy that says he'd be a fit at Auburn.

I bet Nick Marshall believes in second chances. Cam is probably pretty happy he got a second chance too. Now, I'm not saying Pearl is the best fit for AU or that there are not other guys who could do a better job- but his "crime" wasn't exactly the worse thing a guy could do. JMO. If he chooses, he will be coaching next season because someone will give him that chance that most of us are happy Cam and Nick got. Chances are, he's gonna be winning too.

Just because people believe in 2nd chances doesn't mean that AU needs to be the on giving it. BP is tainted in the eyes of the nation and AU does not need to have that cloud of impropriety anywhere close to our program. People already think we are dirty. Why give them a bigger drum to pound?

To Jay Jacobs. Hire Bruce Pearl. I believe in giving people a 2nd chance.

He HAD that second chance at TN but continued his violations even after the NCAA was on his trail. And he lied to the investigators and to TN admin who were trying to be supportive. It's not AU's job to resurrect BP's career.

To Jay Jacobs. Hire Bruce Pearl. I believe in giving people a 2nd chance.

He HAD that second chance at TN but continued his violations even after the NCAA was on his trail. And he lied to the investigators and to TN admin who were trying to be supportive. It's not AU's job to resurrect BP's career.

Great post and needs to be said again.... Pearl had his second chance at UT.

Just because people believe in 2nd chances doesn't mean that AU needs to be the on giving it. BP is tainted in the eyes of the nation and AU does not need to have that cloud of impropriety anywhere close to our program. People already think we are dirty. Why give them a bigger drum to pound?

I don't really care what others think. They can think what they want while we are competing in basketball for a change. IMO what Nick Marshall did at UGA was far worse than anything Bruce Pearl was accused of, but we all supported him and never looked at him in a negative light. And Mikey you hit the nail on the head. Let's call it like it is...the real reason some would turn their nose up at a potential Pearl hire is because he is a northern Jew with a flair for the eccentric. Way to much personality to fit in with the good ole boy network. SMH

I don't really care what others think. They can think what they want while we are competing in basketball for a change. IMO what Nick Marshall did at UGA was far worse than anything Bruce Pearl was accused of, but we all supported him and never looked at him in a negative light. And Mikey you hit the nail on the head. Let's call it like it is...the real reason some would turn their nose up at a potential Pearl hire is because he is a northern Jew with a flair for the eccentric. Way to much personality to fit in with the good ole boy network. SMH

Which is why we have a problem at AU....this has to go if we want to grow as a University...IMHO.

you may not care what others think, but the reality is AU is not looked at in a good light for most of the nation. I do care about that and so should you. We should all care how AU is perceived.

you may not care what others think, but the reality is AU is not looked at in a good light for most of the nation. I do care about that and so should you. We should all care how AU is perceived.

Fair. But is there anything worse than being painted in a negative light, however false, and still suck?

Quick question...how would you all feel if Calipari were to want to take the AU job?

Different situations. Two of the programs Cal has coached got in trouble with the NCAA but Cal was cleared both times. Cal was never actually accused of wrong doing, just players that he coached. Based on what I have read on the two cases I would have no problems with Cal and his NCAA past. Pearl was accused of much more and worse.

As for Cal as a coach I would actually prefer we hire someone else. I lived in Memphis when he was the coach there. I really don't think he would work out as the coach at AU. I don't like his offensive system and he can't get the same type of players to come to AU that he had at those two schools. Obviously a coach with his success would not consider us anyway.

I keep reading these posts that Bruce Pearl (and some others as well) would not be a "good fit" at Auburn. I have asked this before and did not get an answer, so maybe someone will give me an answer this time: What is a "good fit" at Auburn?

Quick question...how would you all feel if Calipari were to want to take the AU job?

I asked this earlier. It's just as easy to crucify someone as it is to justify another I've found out.

The northern Jew part is fine. After all, our track is named after Mel Rosen. The flair for the eccentric part, combined with multiple NCAA troubles at multiple stops is what makes Pearl a non-fit for AU.

The comparison to Cam and Marshall doesn't work. Cam bought a laptop that he later learned had been stolen. Marshall, we're not too sure about the details. One thing we do know, both of them were 18 year-old kids and certainly deserve a second chance. Pearl was a grown man when he committed his first offense and he has continued to make more violations at every stop. As noted above, it's not Auburn's responsibility to give Pearl his fifth "one more last chance". How many instances does it take before a rotten apple can be labeled a rotten apple? Pearl has proven he's a rotten apple over and over again.

Archived