Next Coach Wish-List

AubTiger14

Chuck Person - Great Auburn Player who did well in the Pro's. Pro coaching experience, loves Auburn, Brother Wesley is an Alabama HS coach that he could bring in as an assistant that would give us cred among the Alabama HS coaches. Alabama is not a talent hotbed but every year there is some top talent in the state. We would be a solid team just by doing a better job of recruiting in the state of Alabama and then a few kids from other states.

6 Players from Alabama for 2014

4* Justin Coleman PG 5'10"

4* Isaac Haas C 7'1"

4* Riley Norris SF 6'7"

4* William Lee PF 6'8"

3* Lewis Sullivan SF 6'7"

3* Abdoulaye George PF 6'9"

We are in Alabama we have new facilities with the right coach we should be able to get some of these type kids every year. These are higher *ratings then we are currently recruiting and they are in our home state.

IMHO Person's would get a couple of these every year and keep them for 4 years. That is how you build a program.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course TB will be leaving an empty cupboard when he's fired at the end of this season. 3/4 of the kids he signed bailed out on him well before their junior year even started.

And Tebo's kids bailed on TB before he even arrived. That's life.....with AU basketball.

The kids that bailed before Lebo came in were never "Lebo's kids". They belonged to our previous coach. Lebo's kids that bailed on Barbee were in the same deal. A big turnover is somewhat expected with a coaching change. Barbee has had coaching change type turnover every year. Nothing close to this has ever happened at Auburn before Barbee.

Barbee has already coached the two worst teams in AU basketball history and may well be in the middle of coaching his third. He's currently 1-19 in his last 20 SEC games. I can do better than that and my basketball coaching creds are topped by two years of coaching girls high school basketball!

Larry Brown is 73 but the man would instantly be the best coach in AU history. They guy can flat out coach basketball and forgets more about the game on the way to work than most of us even know. I would love to see him come in coach until he retires and set us up with an assistant that is a HC in waiting. Some continuity would be extremely helpful to our program right now.

I have said multiple times I would be happy with Chuck Person getting a shot. My concerns about him is no HC experience and no college coaching experience. Maybe if we could hire Larry Brown and Chuck as his assistant HCiW.

Larry Brown is 73 but the man would instantly be the best coach in AU history. They guy can flat out coach basketball and forgets more about the game on the way to work than most of us even know. I would love to see him come in coach until he retires and set us up with an assistant that is a HC in waiting. Some continuity would be extremely helpful to our program right now.

I have said multiple times I would be happy with Chuck Person getting a shot. My concerns about him is no HC experience and no college coaching experience. Maybe if we could hire Larry Brown and Chuck as his assistant HCiW.

Coach in waiting, CP with Larry Brown as HC. Man, we can dream right?

Steve Prohm, Murray State.

Georgia boy, worked as an assistant in the SEC, recruits well, as head coach has upset heavily favored teams. Energetic.

Steve Prohm, Murray State.

Georgia boy, worked as an assistant in the SEC, recruits well, as head coach has upset heavily favored teams. Energetic.

I'll drink to that!

Phil Jackson?

Nah. He has no college coaching experience, besides I don't want a coach that has to sit on a funny booster seat.

My advice is to forget dreaming about a big name coach...there hasn't been a big name basketball coach come to the SEC (except at KY) in the past 25+ years . Donavan was unknown until Fla lucked out with him. Otherwise it has been hit or miss with coaches from mid-level teams.....and some assistant coaches moving to a HC job.

Who was the coach that was so successful at Miss State a few years ago.

I remember him looking to get back in during the last coaching search?

Are you referring to Rick Stansbury?

Are you referring to Rick Stansbury?

Where is Stansbury now? Why did he leave MSU?

Stan Heath just might be a good fit for Auburn. He's only 49 and he's done very well as a head coach at USF.

Stan seems like a good guy but look at his career....his W-Ls over his career look like a sine wave.

As for Stansbury, he got pushed out by MSU ..they said he retired...at 52? But, maybe it's time for him to give it another try. He was one of the most successful SEC basketball coaches during his time at MSU...just had a couple bad seasons and the PTB thought they were ready to take it to another level I expect...and IMO they will be waiting for while. .

Stan seems like a good guy but look at his career....his W-Ls over his career look like a sine wave.

I understand some might look at Heath's record and still have some doubts. Heath's W-L record has only been up and down at South Florida. They have no basketball tradition. They've only been to the NCAA Tournament 3 times in their history and Heath took them to their most recent appearance in 2012.

Plus, South Florida played and currently plays in a tougher conference than the SEC. USF was in the Big East the whole time Heath's been there. They played Louisville, Connecticut, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova, and Notre Dame. All NCAA Tournament teams. It's tough to win consistently when all the other teams are good and getting NBA talent while you have to recurit and build a team. That's why South Florida's record has been up and down.

I think Heath could do better at Auburn because in the SEC only Kentucky and Florida are the type of teams that can lose players and keep winning. Everyone else is bunched together. Heath has proven if he's given time he can have success.

Stan Heath just might be a good fit for Auburn. He's only 49 and he's done very well as a head coach at USF.

As for Stansbury, he got pushed out by MSU ..they said he retired...at 52? But, maybe it's time for him to give it another try. He was one of the most successful SEC basketball coaches during his time at MSU...just had a couple bad seasons and the PTB thought they were ready to take it to another level I expect...and IMO they will be waiting for while. .

I always liked his style of play. His teams were always fundamentally sound. He would be an excellent choice. If Moo State expected better than what he delivered, I have to wonder about them. They are in a worse position than AU when it comes to being a choice of good basketball players. I don't expect final fours but to make the tournament is not a real difficult thing and maybe win a couple of games, make it to the sweet 16 every few years and occasionally the elite eight would be nice.

I always liked his style of play. His teams were always fundamentally sound. He would be an excellent choice. If Moo State expected better than what he delivered, I have to wonder about them. They are in a worse position than AU when it comes to being a choice of good basketball players. I don't expect final fours but to make the tournament is not a real difficult thing and maybe win a couple of games, make it to the sweet 16 every few years and occasionally the elite eight would be nice.

OK Cool....we're good on this...so let's see if we can Mikey on board and start a campaign. :)

Chuck Person - Great Auburn Player who did well in the Pro's. Pro coaching experience, loves Auburn, Brother Wesley is an Alabama HS coach that he could bring in as an assistant that would give us cred among the Alabama HS coaches. Alabama is not a talent hotbed but every year there is some top talent in the state. We would be a solid team just by doing a better job of recruiting in the state of Alabama and then a few kids from other states.

6 Players from Alabama for 2014

4* Justin Coleman PG 5'10"

4* Isaac Haas C 7'1"

4* Riley Norris SF 6'7"

4* William Lee PF 6'8"

3* Lewis Sullivan SF 6'7"

3* Abdoulaye George PF 6'9"

We are in Alabama we have new facilities with the right coach we should be able to get some of these type kids every year. These are higher *ratings then we are currently recruiting and they are in our home state.

IMHO Person's would get a couple of these every year and keep them for 4 years. That is how you build a program.

Unfortunately, Chuck can't be hired. He never graduated from AU, so he never received degree.

You have to have a bachelors to coach in college.

If you remember, he wanted the job when we hired Barbee. But, not having a degree is what held him back...

I don't think AU will be able to get a big name coach. The culture of AU basketball is SO, SO bad under Barbee. They are going to have to find a guy willing to take $250K per year (with incentives) and see if they can find a diamond in the rough.

Archived