Next Coach Wish-List

AubTiger14

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, back to the drawing board for me. Had a discussion with a good friend who is an MSU guy and close to the program and he says he would recommend we take a pass on Rick S. Reasons he gave were numerous....but he did note he was a good recruiter though some were questionable...but he could not control the players...everyone wanted the ball,..... his downfall was when a couple of his players got into a fight with each other on national TV. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5953513 I had forgotten about that.

Bill Self

Lol yup I hear Duke has a pretty good coach as well. Wonder if he'll listen?lol

I have a question for those that follow BBall a bit closer than me. Is there any rumblings about Roy Williams being on the hot seat? N. Carolina hasn't been their usual awesome self the last few years. I imagine even if he did get let go by UNC he could pick from a number of jobs but it was just a thought.

I think if Roy Williams loses the handle at UNC he'll just retire. If he can no longer win big there where else could he win?

I'm from Starkville. Stansberry would be a huge upgrade, but he's got his warts. He's a recruiter/salesman. Terrible game coach. Still we'd kill for his results. Proven SEC guy.

I'm from Starkville. Stansberry would be a huge upgrade, but he's got his warts. He's a recruiter/salesman. Terrible game coach. Still we'd kill for his results. Proven SEC guy.

What has he been doing recently?

What has he been doing recently?

"Retired"

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/sec/story/2012-03-15/stansbury-mississippi-state/53552400/1

How about Coach Norman Dale?

Only if he brings Jimmy and the kid that shoots FT's granny style with him.

I'm sure he can get "Shooter" to sit on the bench at least half the year.

Michael White, LaTech

Randy Rahe, WeberSt

Danny Manning, Tulsa- completely unproven as a coach, but his team progresses on paper and he's Danny freaking Manning.

Just to clarify, there is no NCAA rule against hiring a Basketball coach who hasn't graduated. While there may be at AU, or maybe not (speculation, board rumor, heresy...??), that 'rule' would go right out of the window if the right candidate came along.

And no thanks to Mississippi seconds.

Just my observation but the top rated coaches at schools like VCU, Butler, Gonzaga, Wichita State, Georgetown and such, where basketball is king, are very unlikely to take a job at a "football" school....no matter how hard the school's admin. tries to convince them that the school is getting serious about basketball. Those guys have big paychecks waved under their noses all the time by the big boys...and they always say "no".

Go ahead and try...it never hurts to ask...but don't set your heart on getting one of those guys.

I think if Roy Williams loses the handle at UNC he'll just retire. If he can no longer win big there where else could he win?

Well he wouldn't have to win big at AU. His name alone would get us better recruiting results and also probably give us some instant credibility. He wouldn't have to coach long, just a few years to pull us out of the depths we are curently in and then hand off to another coach. I agree though that he would be more likely to retire than coach at AU. Just trying to think of coaches who are at the later part of their career but may not be ready to hang it up yet.

Anybody know if Barkley was on AU's bball search committee ?

o don't recall there being one. That was all JJ I think.

Me too. The first "committee" I heard of was when Mac, Bo and Pat hired Gus.

Roy Williams. If this situation at UNC becomes huge and the basketball program gets hampered, maybe.....quite the long shot though. I happen to be a UNC fan too.

• 2 weeks later...

Larry Brown has SMU at 19-5 and just beat #7 Cincinnati. What on earth is he doing coaching at SMU? He is famous for changing jobs, could we talk him into coming to AU next for maybe his last job?

Who was the coach that was so successful at Miss State a few years ago.

I remember him looking to get back in during the last coaching search?

Richard Williams was the coach of Mississippi State when the Bulldogs went to the Final Four in '96. Stansbury was his top assistant.

Who was the coach that was so successful at Miss State a few years ago.

I remember him looking to get back in during the last coaching search?

Richard Williams was the coach of Mississippi State when the Bulldogs went to the Final Four in '96. Stansbury was his top assistant.

Coach R Williams is the Black coach, right?

He is the guy who retired early.

Where is he?

Archived