2015 4* ATH Torrance Gibson (Ohio State signee)

ellitor

surprise, surprise...this thread definitely made it clear to point out his red flags during recruitment and what do we have here on the first day of game week 1.5 years later...

Urban loves the sketchballs

• 3 months later...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Didn't see his original thread, feel free to merge.

Is he on our radar? Headed to Mississippi for juco

Apparently he signed a NLI to the JuCo, but it is not binding and he could either get reinstated at Ohio State or go to another Div 1 school. I wouldn't be surprised to see him receiving passes from Lamar Jackson in the near future. Seems to be a frequent landing spot for players who can't keep their nose clean (which, if you can't do under Urban, is a pretty big red flag).

7 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Didn't see his original thread, feel free to merge.

Is he on our radar? Headed to Mississippi for juco

Link

No. He just started juco. He has a whole year to go before he's a recruit and we have Gatewood in his class right now.

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

No. He just started juco. He has a whole year to go before he's a recruit and we have Gatewood in his class right now.

That's the answer I was seeking. Thanks!

Think we look at him at WR? He was high on our board at one point I thought

16 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

As I recall, he was dropped from our board for personality reasons, so I don't see us going there now.  It's also still not certain that he will go the JuCo route.

23 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

If he is open to it but I don't think he will be.

It's funny after we get JS signature, people are quick to dismiss a guy like this. Let me remind you people that we have had two different QBs transfer in after not being able to keep their noses clean, and they both took us to national championship games.  Oh,  and time we got one to transfer from a  Urban Myer team, he won the Heisman and we won a national title. 

22 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

That's the answer I was seeking. Thanks!

Absolutely not. We have extremely talented WRs lined up. That were actually WRs by design, and not converted QBs into WRs. But for every Courtney Taylor there are 10 Marcus Davis' and Jason Smiths. They may have all the potential in the world, but what got those guys noticed was their ability while playing QB. That change doesn't always work out how we want it to. In fact it rarely does at WR. And the complete lack of anything there save Duke and Sammie since Tubbs left.. Shows it. Because we have been taking high school QBs and turning them into WRs. 

And he absolutely was very high on our board.  But he was high on our board as a QB.  I wanted him more than Cowart that day. This is the guy I wanted most in  the entire class. 

22 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

As I recall, he was dropped from our board for personality reasons, so I don't see us going there now.  It's also still not certain that he will go the JuCo route.

We were actually in it up until the last day. However I believe we were a bit jaded that on signing day he only asked for LSU and OSU (if I remember correctly) hats to be brought out.  But don't make the mistake to think we wouldn't of taken him. Because we would of... In an instant. 

On 12/13/2016 at 7:10 PM, ellitor said:

And I get going full court on Gatewood. I hope he gets some more work at QB this upcoming season. 

However how or why would it matter that we have Gatewood committed? What makes next seasons recruiting any different than say this year with JS and LN or say the signing of JJ6 and Nick Marshall? Seems like we always are going after 2. 

I think it would be a TERRIBLE idea to not go all in on this guy. We had a good relationship with him in the past (highschool) and that often can translate into the same relationship. I mean why would you guys not want an elite talent like this guy? He has the speed and moves to be Marshall2.0

I just don't get it.... He was the recruit I wanted most in that class, and if he actually enrolls in JC,  he will be my most wanted again. Even ahead of Gatewood. You dont see TGs speed everyday. Especially  not in a QB. And yeah we will have a few QBs next season, but I sure don't see them all sticking around. I really don't want woody to leave but if I had my druthers and I could pick, I'd pick TG over every QB on our roster (that's actually played a snap) everyday and twice in Sunday.  This isn't a knock on Sean either. 

41 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I just don't get it.... He was the recruit I wanted most in that class, and if he actually enrolls in JC,  he will be my most wanted again. Even ahead of Gatewood. You dont see TGs speed everyday. Especially  not in a QB. And yeah we will have a few QBs next season, but I sure don't see them all sticking around. I really don't want woody to leave but if I had my druthers and I could pick, I'd pick TG over every QB on our roster (that's actually played a snap) everyday and twice in Sunday.  This isn't a knock on Sean either. 

Yup. Every high speed QB has shown they make an offense unstoppable.

Speed is very sexy for a QB to have but it does not win you big games or championships. A QB needs to be able to already throw the ball well too.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yup. Every high speed QB has shown they make an offense unstoppable.

Speed is very sexy for a QB to have but it does not win you big games or championships. A QB needs to be able to already throw the ball well too.

I know this E. If it was just about speed we would be undefeated and JF3 would of just won the Heisman. However my post wasn't just about speed. You only quoted part of my comment. Cam and Nick are vastly different and we had success with both. My main point is that we have had tremendous success with transferring QBs who couldn't keep their noses clean at their original programs.

And yaeah TG has some work to do in the passing game, but most (not all) DT QBs suffer from this issue. But not as badly as JF3. TG could be a difference maker on this offense was my point. And the thought that we could still have a chance to sign him tickles me pink. 

23 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

It's funny after we get JS signature, people are quick to dismiss a guy like this. Let me remind you people that we have had two different QBs transfer in after not being able to keep their noses clean, and they both took us to national championship games.  Oh,  and time we got one to transfer from a  Urban Myer team, he won the Heisman and we won a national title. 

If I remember right, Cam didn't transfer from an Urban Myer team, it was a JUCO route. I think if you dig through TG's recruiting thread, AU's interest in TG had diminished greatly due to off the field issues (I may be remembering incorrectly) and then the recruiting trip to UT. 

I personally don't know anything about the kid just what I think I recall reading on this forum.

1 hour ago, AU04ever said:

If I remember right, Cam didn't transfer from an Urban Myer team, it was a JUCO route. I think if you dig through TG's recruiting thread, AU's interest in TG had diminished greatly due to off the field issues (I may be remembering incorrectly) and then the recruiting trip to UT. 

I personally don't know anything about the kid just what I think I recall reading on this forum.

It was Urban to to juco to AU.

1 hour ago, AU04ever said:

I think if you dig through TG's recruiting thread, AU's interest in TG had diminished greatly due to off the field issues (I may be remembering incorrectly) and then the recruiting trip to UT. 

You're right... at the end there was talk of taking him at Safety or something crazy like that, but most people were burned out on him because he played a lot of recruiting games and because there were rumblings of issues. I think the fact that he managed to get himself suspended for a year without taking a snap speaks volumes.  When was the last time any player got suspended for a year by their own school?

10 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

You're right... at the end there was talk of taking him at Safety or something crazy like that, but most people were burned out on him because he played a lot of recruiting games and because there were rumblings of issues. I think the fact that he managed to get himself suspended for a year without taking a snap speaks volumes.  When was the last time any player got suspended for a year by their own school?

This is true, but a lot of kids handle recruiting different. 

JS handled his recruiting vastly different this time around vs last time. 

Seriously some get into the glitz and glamor. But none of it would of mattered had he signed with us. None of the recruiting shenanigans would of mattered. 

I don't think it matters though. I dont think we even go after him. I think it would be a terrible mistake but it seems I'm in the minority. It seems we are putting all our eggs in the Gatewood basket. 

If he tears it up in JUCO though... We may start calling. Personally I think we should of been on the phone with him the second he left OSU for JUCO (if he in fact left.) 

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Torrance Gibson's once-promising, turbulent career at Ohio State appears to be over already. But Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer isn't ready to close the door just yet.

Gibson, a former five-star recruit, signed a junior college letter of intent with Mississippi Gulf Coast on Tuesday. He was suspended for the season in August, which drew public disagreement from Meyer because the punishment was issued by the university instead of the Ohio State athletic department.

"He came to see me, and I love Torrance," Meyer said Thursday. "Very unfortunate, the whole situation. I don't think there's anything finalized.

"I can assure you, as we always do, we are doing what's in the best interest of the student-athlete."

It appears Gibson's next chapter in college is likely going to be away from the Buckeyes, though, after Mississippi Gulf Coast coach Chad Huff welcomed him publicly to his program earlier in the week.

"We are looking forward to having Torrance join our football program," Huff said. "We are confident in his abilities on the field and his character off the field, and we expect him to contribute to our team and the Gulf Coast community."

Ohio State also had great expectations for Gibson when he signed in 2015 after a high-profile recruitment. He arrived as a dual-threat quarterback and moved to wide receiver; his dynamic athleticism and a logjam of passers ahead of him on the depth chart necessitated the position switch.

But the transition never seemed to be going smoothly, either on or off the field for the Florida native. Gibson never stepped on the field as a true freshman as he struggled to find consistency with his new responsibilities as a wideout, and he was suspended for a game during his redshirt season.

The hype that surrounded his recruitment resurfaced during practices in April, when Gibson capped off a productive month with six catches for 50 yards and a pair of touchdowns in the spring game. But again, that didn't last long with Ohio State announcing his semester-long suspension shortly before the season opener.

"It was not from the athletic department or football," Meyer said at the time. "I disagree with it."

Meyer didn't provide any details then on what transpired or what, if anything, could be done about it, given his opposition to the discipline. Ohio State has still not commented on the nature of the violation.

But nearing the date when Gibson could re-enroll as originally anticipated, it appears the plans have changed, leaving plenty of untapped potential with the Buckeyes as he heads elsewhere.

"As far as his ceiling, he's as talented as anybody I've been around," wide receivers coach Zach Smith said before the season. "The ceiling is extremely high."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18285588/ohio-state-buckeyes-coach-says-torrance-gibson-move-mississippi-gulf-coast-not-finalized-yet

So it isn't set in stone he leaves for JUCO, but it seems most likely. I know this is most likely wishful dreaming,  but man,  this kid could be Marshall2.0.

I just don't know about being left handed. Left handed QBs just seem wrong to me. I didn't like it with Cox or even Mike Vick.   But there are always exceptions to be made. And this case warrants it in my opinion, lol

Archived