***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

35 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Why go to a Juco and not AU (or wherever)? 

Going the juco route affords him the opportunity to sit back watch all the teams he's interested in & their coaching situations, stay closer to home & his gf, and make an overall more informed decision.

39 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Why go to a Juco and not AU (or wherever)?  If he is not going to play,. He could enroll at AU and be a R.S Soph next season.  Btw,. I would take him over Mond any day.  

Then next year you have the following.  

1-Jr. White 

2- Red Shirt Soph- Stidham

3 Red Shirt Frosh- Barrett

4- True Frosh- Gatewood

Because it's cheaper/easier to go to JUCO for education than Auburn. 

Edit: and what @ValleyTigersaid. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

Plus if he were to enroll at the school he wants rather than JUCO, then he could learn the system and integrate himself into the program. JMO.

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Plus if he were to enroll at the school he wants rather than JUCO, then he could learn the system and integrate himself into the program. JMO.

I totally agree with this. However, while the perceptions might be inaccurate, we are all aware that there is a belief that Gus and Sumlin should be on the hot seat. I know this is dumb with Gus getting the extension, but maybe that is it. 

1 hour ago, The Plainsman said:

Why go to a Juco and not AU (or wherever)?  If he is not going to play,. He could enroll at AU and be a R.S Soph next season.  Btw,. I would take him over Mond any day.  

Then next year you have the following.  

1-Jr. White 

2- Red Shirt Soph- Stidham

3 Red Shirt Frosh- Barrett

4- True Frosh- Gatewood

1. He wants to take things slow & see what plays out this season at various schools. 2. I would be surprised if Stidham did not beat out Sean if he were to come here. Joey would still be a Sr in high school next year. He is in the 2018, not 2017 class.

3 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

My guess ... Out of state tuition ... It's gotten expensive to go to auburn

He would be on scholly immediately & wouldn't have to pay even though he could not play immediately.

24 minutes ago, mikeymac said:

I totally agree with this. However, while the perceptions might be inaccurate, we are all aware that there is a belief that Gus and Sumlin should be on the hot seat. I know this is dumb with Gus getting the extension, but maybe that is it. 

Na. He's waiting to see how a number of schools will do & to see if Art Briles will get a HC job for the 2017 season.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

He would be on scholly immediately & wouldn't have to pay even though he could not play immediately.

You are correct ell. But if he goes to a non football JUCO for one semester wouldn't he still have 4 to play 3?  Not that a kid with his talent stay 4 years.

4 hours ago, autan said:

You are correct ell. But if he goes to a non football JUCO for one semester wouldn't he still have 4 to play 3?  Not that a kid with his talent stay 4 years.

No. Your 5 season clock to play 4 seasons starts your freshman season. For him 2015 is 1. 2016 season is 2 regardless of what he does this season. He will have 3 seasons left on his clock after this season no matter what he does this season. If he does not play this season that will be his RS year & he will have 3 to play 3 & be classified as a RS Soph in 2017. If he played juco somewhere this year he would then have 3 year to play 2 seasons somewhere in 2017 & be classified as a true Jr.

We feel good about our chances atm. This kid would be a perfect fit for the offense. With JS, WB, and JG we would be absolutely loaded at the qb position for the future. Art Briles is really helping us here, I also expect KB to be part of the staff next year.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Na. He's waiting to see how a number of schools will do & to see if Art Briles will get a HC job for the 2017 season.

Aren't players limited to only one Div 1 transfer.....so is he were to attend a Div 1 school anywhere  ( play or not) he would not be able to play at yet a 3rd Div 1 school later on?   Is that right?  

But considering some of the current coaching situations, sitting back to watch and wait is a good plan IMO.

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Aren't players limited to only one Div 1 transfer.....so is he were to attend a Div 1 school anywhere  ( play or not) he would not be able to play at yet a 3rd Div 1 school later on?   Is that right?  

But considering some of the current coaching situations, sitting back to watch and wait is a good plan IMO.

Yes but his plan is to go to juco this season & see how things go. If Briles gets hired for the 2017 season somewhere he would get hired this December or January before Stidham has to choose his 2nd D1 school.

56 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

We feel good about our chances atm. This kid would be a perfect fit for the offense. With JS, WB, and JG we would be absolutely loaded at the qb position for the future. Art Briles is really helping us here, I also expect KB to be part of the staff next year.

I agree about KB. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I agree about KB. 

I really like the sound of this. 

In what compacity or role will KB presumably be stepping into? I can't see him coming here unless it is at OC and if we have an adequate year on the offensive side, I doubt CRL will be going anywhere

43 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

What are your thoughts on KB? I know the coaches think very highly of him.

I first met him after he transfered from Texas to UH at a clinic his dad was putting on.  He was very impressive. I then met him a couple years ago while at Baylor. He was on point and you can tell that the kids loved being around him. Kid is as bright as they come. He will be a home run hire...if we get him.

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

In what compacity or role will KB presumably be stepping into? I can't see him coming here unless it is at OC and if we have an adequate year on the offensive side, I doubt CRL will be going anywhere

OC. And one way or the other CRL will be gone IMO. If the O is poor he can be let go. If the O does well he likely takes another job. He wants to leave & appears more open to lower level jobs than he was after the 1st year or 2 here.

I just had a scary thought. Sumlin doesn't win enough to stay at aTm, gets let go, they hire Art Briles, he hires KB as OC, they keep Mond & get Stiudham, and become a terror in the SEC West..YIKES!

41 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I just had a scary thought. Sumlin doesn't win enough to stay at aTm, gets let go, they hire Art Briles, he hires KB as OC, they keep Mond & get Stiudham, and become a terror in the SEC West..YIKES!

Would Texas A&M really want the heat that would bring?