***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

1 hour ago, VipersStrike1 said:

I wondered the same. If Gus has been speaking w Briles about the move, then IMO, Gus & Lashlee have been working together in eyeing opportunities for Lashlee next season. No way Gus dumps his boy like that.

If we have a bad offensive season don't be surprised if letting CRL go for KB is Gus's security blanket

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I think you're right. I kind of like the idea of Lashlee really needing the offense to perform, so he gets the right opportunities.

Unlike year's past he seems ready to take jobs at smaller schools.

I agree. My question is premature but the foundation was laid that Kendall Briles and Stidham were possibly coming next year. I just asked a hypothetical question if all other things come to fruition like Gatewood coming in as well as predicted. Granted we have enough things to talk about in the near future and this is way too far down the road.

I'm fine with leaving this question for another day.

5 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Does anyone see Barrett moving to RB if the QB situation doesn't work out or does he transfer? I hope we can find a position for him if QB isn't it.

Heck no

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

If we have a bad offensive season don't be surprised if letting CRL go for KB is Gus's security blanket

Gus would never spin it that way. It would be similar to Chizik and Roof parting ways...a friendly parting, with both finding better opportunities at said time.

It would def not be similar to Gus "firing" Ellis Johnson.

"Terminated" or "Fired" will not be used when Lashlee leaves. They are boys from WAY back.

It would be Lashlee finding a "good opportunity."

15 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'd trade Stidham for Gatewood in a heartbeat. Gatewood is good but there is no way he can live up to all of the expectations the AU people have for him. Stidham is a stud. 

I don't think RL is at AU next year. Regardless. 

I don't see making a possible career saving decision based on trying to keep a 16 year old 2018 recruit happy no matter how good we think he will be.  If you have an opportunity to sign a 5* ready to roll stud QB who perfectly fits your system you take it without thinking twice.  I hope Gatewood sticks but there are many things that could happen to change his mind.  It's really too early for other programs to start putting flip pressure on him.  I would think that might start in about a year.  The way things change in College Football (ref. JR) I'm not concerned about 2019.  I want to win now (2016 and 2017).  Hopefully that will help take care of future.

Edited by autan
spelling and punctuation
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Gus would never spin it that way. It would be similar to Chizik and Roof parting ways...a friendly parting, with both finding better opportunities at said time.

I did not say nor imply Gus would spin it that way. Just saying that would be the reality of Rhett finding a new spot.

Edited by ellitor

I know this means absolutely nothing but JS last Twitter follow was @FootballAU. He also follows Gus and Rhett. Don't get too excited because he also follows every other SEC coach. 

Hope we land this kid. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I did not say nor imply Gus would spin it that way. Just saying that would be the reality of Rhett finding a new spot.

Didn't say you were. I'm saying it (the headlines) will be "Lashlee leaving" rather than "Gus replaces Lashlee with Briles."

In other words, Lashlee will find a new job (likely with Gus' help) before he is replaced.

I agree with many here...good or bad, this is Lashlee's last season.

I also agree that if we have a bad season (6 or less wins), Gus can only save his job by hiring Briles / signing Stidham. I don't see another option.

6 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

I also agree that if we have a bad season (6 or less wins), Gus can only save his job by hiring Briles / signing Stidham. I don't see another option.

Respectfully disagree on that part. Barring a 3-9 collapse moving CRL alone is Gus's security blanket IMO. No question getting KB & JS helps but moving CRL would be enough.

9 hours ago, KerryThachWDE said:

JS last Twitter follow was @FootballAU

That account is not following him.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Respectfully disagree on that part. Barring a 3-9 collapse moving CRL alone is Gus's security blanket IMO. No question getting KB & JS helps but moving CRL would be enough.

If Briles declines, who is next in line?

27 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

If Briles declines, who is next in line?

Way too early to have an idea on any other possibility.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Way too early to have an idea on any other possibility.

If Briles declines, IMO, The Auburn Family won't stand for a Lashlee-level substitute if we go 6-6 or 5-7. Gus will be gone.

"Oh but wait, I promoted Kodi Burns to OC."

Edited by VipersStrike1

2 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Is that relevant?

Yeah. Who cares if AUfootball isn't following him?

23 hours ago, ellitor said:

My guess is Gus will go all out trying to get KB. He's a bright OC & QB coach & would increase our chances of landing Stidham. He was Stidham's lead recruiter @ Baylor. All the more reason I think CRL moves on after this year regardless of on field product.

It is probably in the best interest of his career to do so, as he is not in a very good position here.  Any success seems attributed to Gus, and failure seems attributed to him.  He will be better off to get out from under Gus' umbrella.  I have no idea how good of a coach he actually is, but I do think he gets far more criticism than he deserves.

19 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yeah. Who cares if AUfootball isn't following him?

I think would have been at least interesting if it was following him. The official AU account, which that is,  usually only follows just current & former players as well as commits.

Edited by ellitor

17 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

If Briles declines, IMO, The Auburn Family won't stand for a Lashlee-level substitute if we go 6-6 or 5-7. Gus will be gone.

The AU family are not making the decisions. Jacobs is & he is for real set on having stability right now at the HC position. Barring a 2012 disaster the only way Gus goes as of now is replacing Jacobs & Gogue first. Neither one of those looks likely either atm.

Just now, ellitor said:

The AU family are not making the decisions. Jacobs is & he is for real set on having stability right now at the HC position. Barring a 2012 disaster the only way Gus goes as of now is replacing Jacobs & Gogue first. Neither one of those looks likely either atm.

I disagree. If we finish between 4-8 and 6-6 regular season with Briles declining the OC job, Gus is gone.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I think would have been at least interesting. The official AU account, which that is,  usually only follows just current & former players as well as commits.

You answered your own comment. Stidham isn't any of the above.

1 minute ago, VipersStrike1 said:

I disagree. If we finish between 4-8 and 6-6 regular season with Briles declining the OC job, Gus is gone.

Believe what you want. I'm just telling you what's going on in the program. JJ wants stability. Gogue likes JJ which makes him safe as long as Gogue is there. @augolf1716 & @RunInRed , who are connected, can back me up on this when they get online if they so choose.

3 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

You answered your own comment. Stidham isn't any of the above.

I didn't ask a question. Thatch said the official AU account was following Stidham. I checked and saw the account was not following Stidham. I made it a point to say the account was not following JS because it would have been at least interesting if it was following him since it usually only follows former & current players as well as commits.