***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

On 8/4/2016 at 8:32 AM, ellitor said:

We want the best OC & QB coach we can get. Have not seen anything where he was associated for the fiasco at Baylor. His suspension was for a secondary vialation on an evalk. Very far from a big deal. As for his time coaching I trust Bird. He coaches in the area & likely has some good knowledge on KB.

Strong possibility Rhett moves on regardless of what happens this year.

Speaking of Gatewood, his would this impact his recruitment. Isn't Rhett his recruiter? Don't they have the best relationship?

Sorry I know this isn't a Gatewood thread. Just wondering since you said it in here.

Edited by Auburn2Eugene

One possible fly in the ointment, Gatewood is very tight with CRL. Any perception of Auburn doing him wrong and bye, bye Joey.

10 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Would Texas A&M really want the heat that would bring?

I don't see it being much heat where it matters even though I personally disagree..

5 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

One possible fly in the ointment, Gatewood is very tight with CRL. Any perception of Auburn doing him wrong and bye, bye Joey.

Yes Rhett is the lead recruiter but Joey has come to love AU. Rhett alone leaving would not have an affect on Joey IMO.

11 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Speaking of Gatewood, his would this impact his recruitment. Isn't Rhett his recruiter? Don't they have the best relationship?

Sorry I know this isn't a Gatewood thread. Just wondering since you said it in here.

Stidham would not affect Joey. Keith has a free read on that today. Yes Stidham could be here 3 years & overlap Joey with 2. If Stidham were to come & play well I think 1 year overlap would be more likely..

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I don't see it being much heat where it matters even though I personally disagree..

Gee I would hope the heat would be enormous.  Two assistant coaches in trouble over how they represented the program and the school...and someone then  considers bringing in a new HC who just got fired for failing to police his program properly.   

My gosh....what kind of signals would the AD or President be sending to the non-football world? ...and believe it our not, there are actually many people out there who don't place football wins at the top of their priorities.....and they have influence too.

My question about 7 or 8 posts ago was going to be ...."how long will it be before any well respected school will touch Art Briles? "

That was before the above comment.....and I'm still betting it will be more than a year.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I first met him after he transfered from Texas to UH at a clinic his dad was putting on.  He was very impressive. I then met him a couple years ago while at Baylor. He was on point and you can tell that the kids loved being around him. Kid is as bright as they come. He will be a home run hire...if we get him.

In your opinion will he be a better developer of QB 's than we have now?

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Two assistant coaches in trouble over how they represented the program and the school

Suspended for secondary violations is not considered being in trouble in the college football world

My gosh....what kind of signals would the AD or President be sending to the non-football world? ...and believe it our not, there are actually many people out there who don't place football wins at the top of their priorities.....and they have influence too.

The message sent won't mean as much as the winning & $ Briles is expected to bring in for a school. Yes there are many people who don't place wins at the top but for whatever school takes Briles they will not have much influence.

"how long will it be before any well respected school will touch Art Briles? "

That was before the above comment.....and I'm still betting it will be more than a year.

You have a lot more faith in society in 2016 than I do. I hope you are right but I would be surprised if Briles is not coaching a big school in 2017. Heck, if LSU loses to Bama again I would not be surprised if they let Miles go & went after Briles.

Poor Bobby Petrino.  What he did barely made headlines beyond sports media, pales in comparison to Baylor, and his career still has not fully recovered.  Art Briles and the saga of Baylor made national headlines, was definitely a bigger deal than Petrino's affair, and there is an expectation that he will be at a major program a year from now.  I do not necessarily think you are wrong E, but dammit you should be.

39 minutes ago, kd4au said:

In your opinion will he be a better developer of QB 's than we have now?

Unquestionably 

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

Poor Bobby Petrino.  What he did barely made headlines beyond sports media, pales in comparison to Baylor, and his career still has not fully recovered.  Art Briles and the saga of Baylor made national headlines, was definitely a bigger deal than Petrino's affair, and there is an expectation that he will be at a major program a year from now.  I do not necessarily think you are wrong E, but dammit you should be.

Not sure about that. It only took him 2 years to get back to a quality D1 school as HC. Also while his on field rep was high it was not near as high as Briles. Briles took a team that I venture to say most in my generation thought they would never see be a winner in their lifetime in Baylor and had them near the top when he was fired. A big D1 school will come calling next year.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure about that. It only took him 2 years to get back to a quality D1 school as HC. Also while his on field rep was high it was not near as high as Briles. Briles took a team that I venture to say most in my generation thought they would never see be a winner in their lifetime in Baylor and had them near the top when he was fired. A big D1 school will come calling next year.

i hope its AU on the phone and i could care less about a publicity backlash

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Suspended for secondary violations is not considered being in trouble in the college football world

The message sent won't mean as much as the winning & $ Briles is expected to bring in for a school. Yes there are many people who don't place wins at the top but for whatever school takes Briles they will not have much influence.

You have a lot more faith in society in 2016 than I do. I hope you are right but I would be surprised if Briles is not coaching a big school in 2017. Heck, if LSU loses to Bama again I would not be surprised if they let Miles go & went after Briles.

Yeah....I expect you are right....it's hard to under-estimate the values of the folks running college football these days.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

I just had a scary thought. Sumlin doesn't win enough to stay at aTm, gets let go, they hire Art Briles, he hires KB as OC, they keep Mond & get Stiudham, and become a terror in the SEC West..YIKES!

If Art Brile's lawsuit against Baylor hasn't been settled by the time Sumlin is let go, I don't think aTm would hire him.  And not one else would either.

I wish Gus would hire Art's son, Kendal to be our OC/QB coach. That very well could help us in signing Jarrett.

Edited by auburn4ever
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tinman said:

If Art Brile's lawsuit against Baylor hasn't been settled by the time Sumlin is let go, I don't think aTm would hire him.  And not one else would either.

Didn't know he sued them. That sounds interesting. I'm sure though if things look good behind the scenes with him & a big school to be it's new HC I bet he'll drop that suit in a heart beat.

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

Didn't know he sued them. That sounds interesting. I'm sure though if things look good behind the scenes with him & a big school to be it's new HC I bet he'll drop that suit in a heart beat.

Just did a bit of research.  The "potential" lawsuit was settled out of court after he hired an attorney and threatened to sue for wrongful termination.  Many folks believe this was done by Baylor to keep Briles quiet.  And if Baylor has lost the suit they would owe him $40 million.

On 8/5/2016 at 7:43 AM, austudnt23 said:

We feel good about our chances atm. This kid would be a perfect fit for the offense. With JS, WB, and JG we would be absolutely loaded at the qb position for the future. Art Briles is really helping us here, I also expect KB to be part of the staff next year.

This. 

On 8/5/2016 at 7:02 PM, auburn4ever said:

I wish Gus would hire Art's son, Kendal to be our OC/QB coach. That very well could help us in signing Jarrett.

Think you will be a happy man next year. 

• Like 2

On 8/5/2016 at 7:43 AM, austudnt23 said:

We feel good about our chances atm. This kid would be a perfect fit for the offense. With JS, WB, and JG we would be absolutely loaded at the qb position for the future. Art Briles is really helping us here, I also expect KB to be part of the staff next year.

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This. 

My guess is Gus will go all out trying to get KB. He's a bright OC & QB coach & would increase our chances of landing Stidham. He was Stidham's lead recruiter @ Baylor. All the more reason I think CRL moves on after this year regardless of on field product.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

My guess is Gus will go all out trying to get KB. He's a bright OC & QB coach & would increase our chances of landing Stidham. He was Stidham's lead recruiter @ Baylor. All the more reason I think CRL moves on after this year regardless of on field product.

I really believe this deal is already done. 

• Like 1