***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

Getting back on track. I was wrong on the first day jucos can sign. It's December 14th, not the 12th, and Runs through January 15th. As of now I have my doubts Stidham signs at all and I'm not sure he will commit by December 14th.

Couple of questions.  If he were to sign would that lock him in to the school (as in if he changed his mind, he'd have to sit a year)?

I assume the day he attends a class at a school would lock him in to that school.  What's the earliest he could attend class at Auburn?

12 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Couple of questions.  If he were to sign would that lock him in to the school (as in if he changed his mind, he'd have to sit a year)?

I assume the day he attends a class at a school would lock him in to that school.  What's the earliest he could attend class at Auburn?

1. Yes.

2. January 11th.

And to emphasize a point that ellitor made earlier..."He technically does not have to make a choice if it's AU til January 18th"

This means he can wait another 40 days on Kendal to get hired before his AU clock runs out, making this even more painstaking for us.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

And to emphasize a point that ellitor made earlier..."He technically does not have to make a choice if it's AU til January 18th"

This means he can wait another 40 days on Kendal to get hired before his AU clock runs out, making this even more painstaking for us.

I cannot handle another month of his recruitment.  Hair will start falling out.  

• Like 2

Interview on ESPN.  Dont think it's posted... 

Link

Max OlsonESPN Staff Writer

After a five-month hiatus from college football, former Baylor quarterback Jarrett Stidham will decide on his next destination soon.

The coveted transfer and No. 1-ranked prospect in the ESPN JC 50 has narrowed his focus down to a few options for 2017 and wants to decide before Christmas. The front-runner still appears to be Auburn, but Stidham is waiting on a wild card: He wants to see where his former offensive coordinator at Baylor, Kendal Briles, ends up next.

"Honestly," Stidham told ESPN, "it's so up in the air right now."

Stidham decided to transfer from Baylor on July 7, a little more than a month after coach Art Briles was fired in the wake of the sexual assault scandal that rocked the school. He says he left Baylor after his freshman year because he came there to play for Art and Kendal Briles.

But instead of transferring to another school or a junior college program, Stidham took an alternative route. He stayed in Waco and signed up for online classes from McLennan Community College. He'll be eligible to play in 2017 and will have three seasons of eligibility remaining when he enrolls at a school in January.

Auburn has persistently recruited Stidham since he left Baylor. He's taken multiple visits there this year and is planning to host coach Gus Malzahn for an in-home visit on Friday.

"They've been with me from day one when all of this went down," Stidham said. "They've been good to me. Some other teams have also been good to me. It's just a matter of time until everything happens."

Stidham's relationship with Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee has been one of the keys to that recruitment. He spent nearly 12 hours with Stidham last week while visiting with him in Stephenville, Texas.

"He's a great dude," Stidham said. "I've gotten to know him a lot over this semester. Really, really solid dude. I've probably gotten to know Coach Lashlee the most because I've seen him the most."

Florida is also in the picture and Texas A&M had been, too, though Kevin Sumlin and his staff seem content to stand pat after landing ESPN 300 early enrollee QB Kellen Mond. And then there's the still-unknown option of teaming up again with Kendal Briles.

"KB is my dude," Stidham said. "I'm super tight with him. I still talk to him all the time. I'm still waiting to see what happens with him and where he might go and just take it into consideration."

Stidham is still living five minutes from Baylor's McLane Stadium but didn't attend any games. He watched the Bears' 6-6 season on TV as much as he could but said doing so was tough at times.

"It would've been hard for me to go in the stadium and be around those fans," Stidham said. "I love Baylor. It's just an unfortunate situation. I just couldn't be around it."

He has spent every day of the past five months preparing to win the starting job wherever he goes.

In addition to taking his online courses, Stidham has been working out four days a week with a local trainer to maintain his strength and conditioning. He served as a volunteer scout team quarterback at Waco Midway High School this season, participating in their practices to keep his arm fresh.

He busied himself on weekends by watching as much college football as possible and has been carefully studying coaches, offenses and depth charts to figure out where he'll fit best.

"I tried to really grasp everything I could about these teams," he said. "Sometimes I'd have one game on my TV, one on my laptop next to me and one on my phone. I can't tell you how much football I watched this fall."

Through it all, Stidham has badly missed being on the field and called his semester hiatus "pretty uneventful." He joked that this was his first season off since age 4.

"Man, it's tough not playing," Stidham said. "I miss it every single day. I'll go back and watch film from last year like, man, I wish I was out there. But it's been a good learning experience, even though it's been hard."

Although he's spent more than enough time studying for his next step, Stidham said he still has no idea where he's going to end up continuing his playing career. He's looking forward to figuring that out in the next few weeks.

"It's exciting to think about, but it's also pretty nerve-wracking just because, as of this very second, I don't know where I'm going to be in a month," Stidham said. "That's a little hard to take in. It's going to work out. I'm going to end up somewhere that wants me and somewhere I want to go. But it is pretty hard to sit here and think, a month from this very second, I don't know where I'm going to be."

Edited by ellitor

14 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Wonder what the all-time record is for # of pages in a thread?

I think Seastrunk was in the 900s  on the old format on AE before they had to delete it or cut most of it off. For this thread to approach that one we would need to be around 360 pages.

I know this is just hersey, but I found it interesting.  I was listening to a beat writer for the Aggies today and JS came up.  He said that the feeling he got was that aTm was worried about pushing for JS not just because of losing Mond but also because they have 2 other players from IMG committed that they would lose as well if Mond decided not to come.  Sounds like they are walking on egg shells over there at the momemnt

Disaster scenario - KB to FL.

I'm all for hiring KB if RL leaves to take a HC job. Especially if that solidifies getting JS here.

I just don't get him quitting Baylor if wanted to play for KB so much,he was still the OC.I must have missed something in these last thousands of posts.You would think if that was a top priority for him he would have never left.:dunno:

• Like 1

Just now, kd4au said:

I just don't get him quitting Baylor if wanted to play for KB so much,he was still the OC.I must have missed something in these last thousands of posts.You would think if that was a top priority for him he would have never left.:dunno:

Well he likely saw the writing on the wall and knew KB would not be at Baylor in 2017.  As we all know coaches can leave any time but players don't have that luxury.  So maybe he just thought he could sit for a year and then go where ever KB goes.

2 minutes ago, kd4au said:

It's been well known for months Baylor was going to clean house.

4 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Well he likely saw the writing on the wall and knew KB would not be at Baylor in 2017.  As we all know coaches can leave any time but players don't have that luxury.  So maybe he just thought he could sit for a year and then go where ever KB goes.

Maybe,but there is no way to know for sure that KB would be let go,he could have played this year and maybe KB was fired or maybe he wasn't and if he is a good as we think he would've  just had one year to tough it out and go pro.I just wish he would go ahead and commit to us already,I do think he is what we need at the QB position and I'm a big SW fan.

FWIW, rumors starting to circulate that Mark Helfrich may be the favorite to land the LSU OC job. He could have some other HC opportunities though, so that could be slow played on his part. But it doesn't look like KB is at the top of their list, at least now. Doesn't rule him out as a QB coach though evn if he doesn't get the HC job.  

3 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Maybe,but there is no way to know for sure that KB would be let go,he could have played this year and maybe KB was fired or maybe he wasn't and if he is a good as we think he would've  just had one year to tough it out and go pro.

Read my post above.

Just ran across a story linking the chances of Stidham's transfer to where Baylor OC Kendal Briles winds up.

I was 100% fiercely opposed to any Art Briles talk, and to a lesser degree I feel the same about his son. Some of you countered that evidence would come out vindicating Art, but the exact opposite happened. We learned that he had actually known about the gang rape and not reported it, among other specifics Baylor leaked.

Obviously, it's unfair to blame a son for his father's deeds. But the Baylor assistants made public statements defending Art, and I assume Kendal had to be on board. That's a problem -- and a very bad message. It's also tough to blame a son for not having his father's back. In the end, I wouldn't jump off a cliff if Kendal came to Auburn, but I'd have to hold my nose.

• Like 3

I don't blame him for defending his father in public. I'd never condemn my mother, father, brother, child, etc. in public but between the walls of our home I'd make it very clear how I truly feel. It could be a situation like that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I think Seastrunk was in the 900s  on the old format on AE before they had to delete it or cut most of it off. For this thread to approach that one we would need to be around 360 pages.

Ever find yourself missing the Lache drama? Hard to believe how long ago that was.

So what's the rumor?

I see nothing but speculation regarding a situation that may or may not have legal proceedings come from it.  I'm just glad it didn't happen at Auburn.  

• Like 4