Auburn Family mourns loss of Golf's Danielle Downey

Ber798297

This is just awful news. Prayers for famliy..

AUBURN, Ala. – Former Auburn women’s golf All-American, LPGA Tournament player and current Auburn Director of Golf Operations Danielle Downey, 33, passed away after a fatal car accident, Thursday evening.

“I’m absolutely devastated,” Auburn head women’s golf coach Kim Evans said. “Danielle meant so much to me, the girls and this program. Not only did she give much of her life to Auburn as a student-athlete and as a mentor to these young women, but she was so instrumental to this team during some tough times over the past year. Danielle was like a daughter to me.”

“This is a tragic and devastating loss for Danielle’s family, our student-athletes and staff and the entire Auburn family,” Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs said. “Danielle cared deeply about people and she was loved by all who knew her. She impacted a lot of lives here as a player and a member of our staff. Our hearts go out to Danielle’s mother and father, her sisters and all who knew and loved her. She will be dearly missed."

A native of Rochester, N.Y., Downey was in her second season serving as the Director of Operations after returning to Auburn to complete her degree. She graduated in May of 2013 with her degree in health promotion.

During the 2012-13 season, Downey stepped up in place of head coach Kim Evans, who had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, therefore missing the postseason. Downey guided the team through NCAA Regionals, earning a place in the NCAA Championship in Athens, Ga. Auburn would go on to take sixth at NCAAs, the team's best finish at the tournament in eight years.

Downey played at Auburn from 1999-2003, earning All-America honors in 2000, 2002 and 2003. She was All-SEC all four years, earning first-team honors three times, and was the 2000 SEC Tournament champion. She also led Auburn to SEC team championships in 2000 and 2003. Downey also holds the Auburn record for best finish at the NCAA Championship, tying for second in 2002.

Following her Auburn career, she went on to play on the LPGA and Futures Tours. During her time on the Futures Tour, she notched seven top-10 finishes and one tournament victory, taking top honors at the 2004 Lima Memorial Hospital Futures Golf Classic. On the LPGA Tour, Downey finished in the money at 15 tournaments, including a career best tie for fourth at the 2008 Bell Micro LPGA Classic.

Downey is survived by her parents, Mike Downey and Phyllis Downey, sisters, Erica Setzer, Melissa Sage, and Shawna Tomasso, three nieces and three nephews and many, many friends. A local memorial service will be held in Auburn in the coming days, more details to come.

That was a sad thing to read....a bright young woman at the prime of her life. Condolences to her family and to the many people at AU who will miss her.

This is just one of the worst things to happen for the family and Auburn Womens Golf. She done such a great job taking over for Kim when she got cancer. She meant alot to the womens team. I am so sick over this. Great person and loved Auburn..

I am heart broken over this.

Archived