Biggest "insider miss" in recruiting history?

aushrink

Roberson to UF

i remember this. something happened and talk here was that our coaches cut him off very late. i never knew what happened. the statute of limitations for confidentiality should have passed now so you can spill it.

Roberson did it to himself by playing games with our coaches. We ended up with Whitehead.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ray Drew comes to mind right off the bat.

Nope. Was never high than 60% by anyone reputable and was below 50 weeks before he picked UGA.

I don't ever remember insiders definitively stating we would get Drew......I remember it being a UGA/AU battle with UGA always seeming to have an edge.

Lattimore definitely not. I remember watching his announcement with fingers crossed but it had been said he was staying home in SC.

Yeldon: I do remember some insiders being a bit skeptical about how he was acting in the couple of weeks before he flipped and Bama insiders kept talking about him flipping....but even days before Yeldon was stating he was 100% committed. He blindsided even the coaches....that was definitely orchastrated by Bama so you can't really fault anyone when the recruit himself is basically lying to everyone.

The only one I remember being just a complete bust was J Lee and the LSU recruit....was it Collins? He kept saying he was 75% AU even tho no one could figure out WHY.

Roberson to UF

i remember this. something happened and talk here was that our coaches cut him off very late. i never knew what happened. the statute of limitations for confidentiality should have passed now so you can spill it.

Roberson did it to himself by playing games with our coaches. We ended up with Whitehead.

what exactly did he do?

Nope. Was never high than 60% by anyone reputable and was below 50 weeks before he picked UGA.

Agree with E on Drew.

Respectfully dis agree with u both, remember this? Rivals five-star Thomas County DE Ray Drew, one of the top 10 players in the nation, has backed away from the Georgia Bulldogs in part due to the team’s defensive scheme. This would seem to put the Auburn Tigers or LSU Tigers in the drivers’ seat for Drew’s services, especially since he’s been using “War Damn Eagle” as a text message sign-off. Link: Atlanta.sbnation.com This is one of many reasons why he had a lot of insiders and me fooled! ( not to mention he was very much involved in becoming a minister)

Agree with E on Drew.

Respectfully dis agree with u both, remember this? Rivals five-star Thomas County DE Ray Drew, one of the top 10 players in the nation, has backed away from the Georgia Bulldogs in part due to the team's defensive scheme. This would seem to put the Auburn Tigers or LSU Tigers in the drivers' seat for Drew's services, especially since he's been using "War Damn Eagle" as a text message sign-off. Link: Atlanta.sbnation.com This is one of many reasons why he had a lot of insiders and me fooled! ( not to mention he was very much involved in becoming a minister)

Nope. Never read nopr heard that. And if it was posted it was early to midway through the process and was not info our insiders here or AE were using so it does not count.

Agree with E on Drew.

Respectfully dis agree with u both, remember this? Rivals five-star Thomas County DE Ray Drew, one of the top 10 players in the nation, has backed away from the Georgia Bulldogs in part due to the team's defensive scheme. This would seem to put the Auburn Tigers or LSU Tigers in the drivers' seat for Drew's services, especially since he's been using "War Damn Eagle" as a text message sign-off. Link: Atlanta.sbnation.com This is one of many reasons why he had a lot of insiders and me fooled! ( not to mention he was very much involved in becoming a minister)

Nope. Never read nopr heard that. And if it was posted it was early to midway through the process and was not info our insiders here or AE were using so it does not count.

Maybe maybe not but it won't change the fact he Did Mislead a lot of people when using war eagle at the end of his conversations or greetings! To me, that is used by aufamily players, alumni, and fans only!!

Some of you guys are just posting players who AU didn't sign or didn't even offer. What does that have to do with "insider misses"? Maybe there should just be another thread on should haves??

Roberson to UF

what exactly did he do?

Roberson committed to Auburn. Then he wavered and Coach Chizik went down there and talked to him. He promised Chizik he was committed to AU "for good". Two hours after Chizik left, Roberson told a Florida newspaper writer that he would announce his choice in a day or two. Chizik had had enough by then and pulled Roberson's offer.

The biggest miss as far as predictions go is a guy that committed to us (and later on to several other schools as well) but was a Bama lock. There wasn't even an AU reporter to interview the guy after he chose Auburn. He was an OLmen. Spencer something. I can't remember but I know several people on here know who he is. Everyone one in the state knew he was going to chose Bama and then he picks up the Orange and Blue hat. I read that you could hear a pin drop when he put that hat on.

I mentioned this is another thread but will say it again here.

The fact that there is no documented consensus "insider miss" on this board leads me to believe that the insider posters on this board are close to the program and we are fortunate to have their knowledge here.

There is always going to be an occasional player "surprise" the fans with his committment (Diamond shocked me) or his decommittment (yeldon) but the point remains the same.

These guys know what they are talking about so everyone can call down when they give you reassurances about where a player is likely to choose.

The biggest miss as far as predictions go is a guy that committed to us (and later on to several other schools as well) but was a Bama lock. There wasn't even an AU reporter to interview the guy after he chose Auburn. He was an OLmen. Spencer something. I can't remember but I know several people on here know who he is. Everyone one in the state knew he was going to chose Bama and then he picks up the Orange and Blue hat. I read that you could hear a pin drop when he put that hat on.

Region, ultimately signed with Clemson, gained an enormous amount of weight, and was never to be heard from again...

Would not call this a "miss"...insiders predicted he would shock everyone and choose AU at his announcement, and he did. When things started going south, insiders pretty much nailed it that he would NOT be at AU even tho he was still committed.....and they were right, he ended up at Clemson, never to be heard from again.

I don't ever remember insiders definitively stating we would get Drew......I remember it being a UGA/AU battle with UGA always seeming to have an edge.

Lattimore definitely not. I remember watching his announcement with fingers crossed but it had been said he was staying home in SC.

Yeldon: I do remember some insiders being a bit skeptical about how he was acting in the couple of weeks before he flipped and Bama insiders kept talking about him flipping....but even days before Yeldon was stating he was 100% committed. He blindsided even the coaches....that was definitely orchastrated by Bama so you can't really fault anyone when the recruit himself is basically lying to everyone.

The only one I remember being just a complete bust was J Lee and the LSU recruit....was it Collins? He kept saying he was 75% AU even tho no one could figure out WHY.

I think dude was actually right about Collins. If any of you guys remember, Collins didn't send in his NLI to LSU until after Cyrus K announced he was coming to AU before ultimately not faxing his letter in.

This is a while back,but I remember back in the 1980's, AU thought they had a good shot at bringing in a RB from Pensacola named Emmett Smith.

Someone with more knowledge to his recruitment might know if we were really close to getting him or not.

Corey Lemonier was one that we got. I know he was always basically uncommitted but FSU people thought he was headed there all the way (I guess all fan bases do but still I remember that one as a pleasant surprise for AU)

This is a while back,but I remember back in the 1980's, AU thought they had a good shot at bringing in a RB from Pensacola named Emmett Smith.

Someone with more knowledge to his recruitment might know if we were really close to getting him or not.

You are absolutely right. We were very close. The story was that Emmit wanted to come to AU because of the Bo and Brent Fullwood success, but his family wanted him at UF.

From what I've heard (which may or may not be accurate as it predates my existence by a good bit), Emmit was very high on Auburn and vice versa, but when Auburn planned to take on other running backs as well in that class (one of whom a local kid colloquially referred to as "Bo Peep", I believe), he decided to go elsewhere.

Travel back in time with me to those thrilling days before the internet and cell phones....AU had Brent Fullwood here on a visit. The nation's #1 running back was invited in as sort of an afterthought right at the end of the recruiting cycle. The UF fan magazine "Bull Gator' published this statement. "By the time you read this, Brent Fullwood will be a Gator!". Fullwood completed his visit, left to go back home to Florida and nobody gave it much thought until:

The Tigerette hostess that had spent the weekend showing Fullwood around filed her written report following the visit as they are requited to do. In her report she stated that Brent would be signing with Auburn the following week. Coach Dye called the girl in, grilled her and she stood fast. Dye insisted that neither he nor any of the assistant coaches got that feeling but the girl stuck to her statement that there was no doubt about it, Fullwood was coming to Auburn.

So Dye called the Fullwood home and Brent said he had the papers all signed and witnessed and would mail them to AU on signing day. So, every coach, insider, outsider and anybody that was interested put Fullwood at UF, the lone exception being the Tigerette hostess!

Archived