Player Workouts

RunInRed

Sammie Coates has hops ...

Good Lord. We have better basketball players on our football team than those on the basketball team. SMH.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JJ is only going to get bigger, I think he's going to be a monster by the time its time for him to be the full time starter, he's only one full year removed from high school. Anybody know how big Cam was his 2nd year at Florida?

Not even trying to put any type of expectation on JJ, just wondering in size how they compare. Defenders are not going to enjoy trying to tackle him.

Two things, Cam looks broader than Johnson. You can't see clearly since Johnson is angled, but Cam's shoulders are incredibly broad. Second, Johnson can't run like him. He may be great, but he won't be Cam, Jr. He looks a lot more like Jason Campbell 2.0 (since later models are upgrades) from an athleticism/size standpoint. I'll take that over and over and over again.

Two things, Cam looks broader than Johnson. You can't see clearly since Johnson is angled, but Cam's shoulders are incredibly broad. Second, Johnson can't run like him. He may be great, but he won't be Cam, Jr. He looks a lot more like Jason Campbell 2.0 (since later models are upgrades) from an athleticism/size standpoint. I'll take that over and over and over again.

This.

Just because JJ is a tall black QB doesn't mean he's going to be anything like Cam. Was Cam JaMarcus Russell 2.0 or Andre Woodson 2.0? No. JJ looks to be a solid football player but,my god, can we please stop comparing him to Cam Newton?

Call me crazy but IMO comparing anybody to Cam Newton is going to be an exercise in futility. Much like Bo Jackson, Cam Newton, is a once on a generation player. I seriously doubt any Auburn QBs will favorably compare physically or in any other way to CM anytime soon.

Guess who showed up at workouts this AM ...

Bg7UyreIQAAbsIq.jpg

via @MRSUPER6A

Must be an impersonator. Cam would never come back to campus.

I think it's him

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/laces-out/auburn-students-serenade-cam-newton-on-valentine-s-day-022014

Call me crazy but IMO comparing anybody to Cam Newton is going to be an exercise in futility. Much like Bo Jackson, Cam Newton, is a once on a generation player. I seriously doubt any Auburn QBs will favorably compare physically or in any other way to CM anytime soon.

I have been saying this for the past 3 years... You can have get good QBs, even great QBs!! BUT there will never be another CAM NEWTON.... he WAS, he IS and he WILL BE the best qb ever played at Auburn for atleast another 3 decades!!!

Even physically, I think he's closer to an improved Jason Campbell. He doesn't seem to have the same broad shoulders. He's just a big, tall guy. Campbell was 6'5" and weighed around 220 or 225 when we left Auburn. He was and is a big, big dude.

I have been saying this for the past 3 years... You can have get good QBs, even great QBs!! BUT there will never be another CAM NEWTON.... he WAS, he IS and he WILL BE the best qb ever played at Auburn for atleast another 3 decades!!!

I don't think it is just his physical statue, it is having the confidence, poise and leadership that Cam had also. Getting a person with all that plus the size and talent of Cam will be hard to do, but it will come. JJ may be that guy down the road but a lot of things must come together. For the doubters, I would say in caution, JJ is probably father along than Cam after his Freshman year. To say he is not Cam, would be comparing apples to oranges at this point, but that would not mean he could not be there in another two or three years. JMHO. WDE

Johnson can move better than what you guys are thinking. You'll see though. He's much more athletic than Jason Campbell was. As far as physically cam is a GREAT comparison to Johnson as far as height and probably weight. Johnson hasn't been through a summer weight program yet. We'll see soon.

Johnson can move better than what you guys are thinking. You'll see though. He's much more athletic than Jason Campbell was. As far as physically cam is a GREAT comparison to Johnson as far as height and probably weight. Johnson hasn't been through a summer weight program yet. We'll see soon.

This

He's much more athletic than Jason Campbell was

"Much more athletic" is a very extreme statement. Jason Campbell ran a 4.7 at 230 pounds at Auburn's Pro day. He also jumped 38 inches (which is elite for a QB) and did 9'8" in the broad jump (which would put him among the Top 5 for QBs in most draft years). People underrate his athleticism because of the offense he played in.

I think that Jeremy Johnson is probably a more natural runner due to the exposure of spread-offenses today, but the pure athleticism is closer than you think.

Well, everyone has an opinion and mine is, its not fair to JJ to make these comparisons. Frankly, Im not sure he will ever favorably compare. On second thought,when JJ accounts for 55 TDs in one season, over a 1000 yards rushing and 3000 yards passing we can talk again

Archived