Michael Sams coming out party

JMassie11

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Defensive player of the year or not, IMO Sam's draft status will likely take more of a hit from the fact that AU's offensive line pushed him all over the field in the championship game.....and not his sexuality.

I must be outta the loop, never heard of this guy.

You must be. He was SEC Defensive PoY

Ha, no kidding. Guess I've just got AU tunnel vision and don't keep up with anyone else. Seems like I remember briefly hearing his name in the SECCG but we know how that turned out for the whole Mizzou D. Anyway, good luck to the guy.

For those that missed it: http://bleacherrepor...rview?hpt=hp_t2

I, for one, appreciate what he did very much. Agree or not with it, that takes some serious stones. If anyone's got a problem with him and his sexuality, I would daresay that he's a bigger man than they are.

Would u dare say that to Jesus?

If you're going to bring out your religious bias then...yes, I would say that to a historically dubious cult figure.

Can't wait to see the day u try it! Lol

If your personal deity of choice turns out to be real, I'll wager you have more to worry about than I.

I doubt that very seriously non believer! That's a bet u may want to keep to urself! Or better yet ask a friend or family member where do non believers reside afterlife!

For those that missed it: http://bleacherrepor...rview?hpt=hp_t2

I, for one, appreciate what he did very much. Agree or not with it, that takes some serious stones. If anyone's got a problem with him and his sexuality, I would daresay that he's a bigger man than they are.

Would u dare say that to Jesus?

If you're going to bring out your religious bias then...yes, I would say that to a historically dubious cult figure.

Can't wait to see the day u try it! Lol

If your personal deity of choice turns out to be real, I'll wager you have more to worry about than I.

I doubt that very seriously non believer! That's a bet u may want to keep to urself! Or better yet ask a friend or family member where do non believers reside afterlife!

That's probably not a discussion for the Rivals forum, and speaking as a "non-believer" - there's probably not much you could offer that would change my mind, or that I could offer that would change yours. So, I say we just agree to disagree and then we can talk about football. Just throwing that out there.

My little brother has served a tour in Iraq and a tour in Afghanistan.

Please pass a message to your brother - my family and I sincerely appreciate his service to our country. We cherish our freedom and consider him the hero.

Football is a game, no matter how much they pay 'em. Sams being openly gay just tells me he enjoys sodomy. Again, not my idea of heroism.

I will pass the message along to my brother.

I'm sorry you fail to see the heroism in Mr. Sam's statements. Standing up for a segment of our citizenry that continues to fight for equality is heroic, especially in an overly masculine environment like professional football. I eagerly await the day that an announcement like this isn't necessary or newsworthy, unfortunately that won't be the case until people can see beyond their own bigotry.

I would love to know how standing for the truth of God's word is considered bigotry? Romans 1:26-32 not only condemns the sin of homosexuality but those that have pleasure in their unrighteousness. To sit back, tolerate, or condone the sin of homosexuality is something that New Testament Christians are commanded against. That's why we stand opposed to these people today. And this has nothing to do with my personal feelings. I have no feelings of hatred, fear, or predjudice against these people. I'm simply standing up for how God feels about this subject.

Please pass a message to your brother - my family and I sincerely appreciate his service to our country. We cherish our freedom and consider him the hero.

Football is a game, no matter how much they pay 'em. Sams being openly gay just tells me he enjoys sodomy. Again, not my idea of heroism.

I'm sorry you fail to see the heroism in Mr. Sam's statements. Standing up for a segment of our citizenry that continues to fight for equality is heroic, especially in an overly masculine environment like professional football. I eagerly await the day that an announcement like this isn't necessary or newsworthy, unfortunately that won't be the case until people can see beyond their own bigotry.

I would love to know how standing for the truth of God's word is considered bigotry? Romans 1:26-32 not only condemns the sin of homosexuality but those that have pleasure in their unrighteousness. To sit back, tolerate, or condone the sin of homosexuality is something that New Testament Christians are commanded against. That's why we stand opposed to these people today. And this has nothing to do with my personal feelings. I have no feelings of hatred, fear, or predjudice against these people. I'm simply standing up for how God feels about this subject.

We don't live in a theocracy

Good for him. And I love the "he is a sinner" folks...we are all sinners. We are all born the way we were born. If you are a true Christian you believe this, and that we were created in "his" image. He was made how God wanted him.

Stop casting stones and worry about yourself and your sins instead of cherry picking bible verses to fit your agenda.

"Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats or views other people with fear, distrust, hatred, contempt, or intolerance on the basis of a person's opinion, ethnicity, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics." A bigot is: "a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)."

So...basically everything you just said. The problem is, what you believe is the absolute truth of God's word doesn't really matter once you get outside of your sphere of influence. In other words, that is subjective, rather than objective, opinion - not necessarily "truth."

And BTW taking everything literally in the bible means we are all in hell. The bible is a skewed book, written and translated by humans (not God). Translated to the agenda of King James the 8th. I know you will never see my point, but I have to put that out there...

I mean you get 4 different views on the same events in the New Testament...obviously opens some room for interpretation, but I'm sure there is a way to cherry pick around that to and choose one to follow...but somehow agree with everything else in the bible you choose to agree with.

ESPN used the story for quite awhile since it's a sunday and they dont have any olympics coverage.

Espn stated he made the announcement to his team last august. The fact that they kept quiet about it is interesting.

I think this is some strategy on his part with his pro agent. The NFL is really under the gun to do the politically correct thing after all the problems with concusions, hazing, etc. this may actually help the guy's draft postion.

I really dont need or want to know about all this personal life stuff about players. It started years ago when teams fed facts for stories to reporters to help the image of their star players with the public. now its the players feeding the media with stories.

What happens in his personal life is between him and someone else. I dont need to know and really dont want to know.

Whatever issues he has are between him and God. Despite protestations to the opposite, no one is perfect. His "sin" is absolutely no worse than mine or anyone else's.

Sin is Sin. No exceptions.

I have no problem with him coming out as gay. For those that argue "homosexuality is a sin", well so is greed and lust and everyone on this board has experienced one of those at some point in their life. No one sin is greater than the other except blasephy. As a Christian, I believe in treating everyone fairly and it's for God to judge people's sin....not me.

There is an exception to the rule of treating people fairly: Bammers are not considered real people (or even human) so they deserve all the trash that is dished out to them.

Sleeping with a person of the same sex is behavior that is not productive for humankind. Other than fulfilling ones desires of lust why should homosexuality be forced upon us that don't believe in it? If we as Christians, followers of Christ allow our beliefs to be stepped on and whats next? Should a murderer be axxeptable? What about a thief? Child molester? Any other moral sin? While I do love my fellow man because I believe God creates everyone, I completely DETEST THE SIN described in the Holy Bible. Call me whatever you want but I stand for what I believe and KNOW is true!

The commentary on this thread with regard to God, The Bible, sin, judgement et. al. would be laughable if not so sad.

Those who see the Word as Truth do not kid themselves with regard to perfection. That world view is that we are all broken (sinful/selfish), and that God loves us so much, He made a way out.

As they say in those terrible churches "you have to realize you're lost before you know you need to be found."

I know how lost I was, I am chief among sinners. I do not dislike or hate Michael Sams. I do believe that his choice of homosexuality will not bring him contentment, just like my wife (heterosexuality) will never be the source of my contentment (and I married an awesome Auburn girl!).

And yet the currency you use still says "In God We Trust". The founding fathers founded this nation, it's laws, and it's constitution based on the principles of the Bible. The separation of Church and State were only intended to to prevent one denomination from dictating what everyone was to believe and worship. It was never intended to remove God from our society.

"Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats or views other people with fear, distrust, hatred, contempt, or intolerance on the basis of a person's opinion, ethnicity, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics." A bigot is: "a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)."

So...basically everything you just said. The problem is, what you believe is the absolute truth of God's word doesn't really matter once you get outside of your sphere of influence. In other words, that is subjective, rather than objective, opinion - not necessarily "truth."

I want to make something clear. I disagree with the sin of homosexuality. I don't hate or fear the people that practice this sin. I don't encourage any kind of hatred, bullying, and persecution towards these people. I love those people. The Bible teaches us to love the sinner but hate the sin.

And according to your definition of bigotry, you would also be considered a bigot for your feelings toward Christianity. I disagree with homosexuality and you disagree with me.

Look up the word ABOMINATION since u believe in the dictionary rather than what's in the bible, smh.

And BTW taking everything literally in the bible means we are all in hell. The bible is a skewed book, written and translated by humans (not God). Translated to the agenda of King James the 8th. I know you will never see my point, but I have to put that out there...

I mean you get 4 different views on the same events in the New Testament...obviously opens some room for interpretation, but I'm sure there is a way to cherry pick around that to and choose one to follow...but somehow agree with everything else in the bible you choose to agree with.

I understand that many people cherry pick the scriptures today. But that is not what I did and not what I believe in doing. I gave specific verses that condemned the subject that we are discussing.

The four gospels each tell a different perspective but they are still in harmony with one another, as is the entire Bible. And please tell me what was it that King James translates incorrectly from Greek to English for the purpose of his own agenda.

And yet the currency you use still says "In God We Trust". The founding fathers founded this nation, it's laws, and it's constitution based on the principles of the Bible. The separation of Church and State were only intended to to prevent one denomination from dictating what everyone was to believe and worship. It was never intended to remove God from our society.

"In God We Trust" on U.S. currency didn't make an appearance until 1957. It's been pointed out time & again that ours is not a religious nation, and I have no intention of debating the religious lives of guys like Jefferson & Washington. I will say there's a rather well known anecdote that Ben Franklin offered to bring a chaplain during Constitutional Convention and Alexander Hamilton stated he saw no need for "foreign aid". Also, the Constitution makes no reference to any sort of divine creature.

Sleeping with a person of the same sex is behavior that is not productive for humankind. Other than fulfilling ones desires of lust why should homosexuality be forced upon us that don't believe in it? If we as Christians, followers of Christ allow our beliefs to be stepped on and whats next? Should a murderer be axxeptable? What about a thief? Child molester? Any other moral sin? While I do love my fellow man because I believe God creates everyone, I completely DETEST THE SIN described in the Holy Bible. Call me whatever you want but I stand for what I believe and KNOW is true!

Nobody is forcing you to engage in a homosexual relationship. Where on earth did you get that? Murderers, thieves, & child molestors...hello, strawman.

Its a funny thing when something happens in sports that makes us reflect on society in general. As far are Sams coming out, all I got to say is that it was only a matter of time before it happened and he won't be the last. Now that he has come out it will be a little less of a big deal with the next one and overtime it won;t be news at all and that will be a good day! I am surprised that it is a rookie is the first to do it. I mean that took some serious guts right there. Dude is taking a major financial risk by coming out this close to the draft just to stand up and this is who I am and I am not going to hide it. I don't care what kind of prejudice you harbor, if you can't recognize the bravery it takes to stand up in a crowded room and say I am different then you've never been in a life situation where you were the one who was different. To that I say people need to get out of their comfort zones a little bit!!

As for the religious aspect of this....I am a Christian and I do not understand how a man can be attracted to another man. But judging by what I have read of this Jesus guy I imagine if he was here today and confronted by a gay guy he would probably hug him around the neck, tell him he loves him, and then he would pray for that guy. I'm not so sure he would take this condemning stance that most Christians today do. IMO God gave every man the right to choose right from wrong, so it always amazes me when I see Christians trying to take away mans God given right. Whether that be trying to make abortion illegal or ban gay marriage or what have you. You councel your brother, you love your brother, and you pray for your brother. But you do not condemn your brother as that right is reserved for the creator of your brother.

Archived