SPLASH! AUBURN HIRES BRUCE PEARL AS BASKETBALL COACH

augolf1716

brucepearl_welcome.jpg

]By Charles Goldberg[/b]

AuburnTigers.com

AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn hired Bruce Pearl as its new basketball coach Tuesday, bringing in a frequent visitor to the NCAA Tournament, a coach with SEC experience, a three-time national coach of the year and fan favorite.

Pearl coached at Tennessee from 2005 through the 2011 season, taking all six of his teams to the NCAA Tournament. He's been an ESPN basketball analyst the last several seasons,

"I'm humbled and blessed to be back in the game that I love," Pearl said. "I don't know how long it will take, but it's time to rebuild the Auburn basketball program, and bring it to a level of excellence so many of the other teams on campus enjoy."

Pearl was the second fastest to 300 career wins in NCAA history, trailing only North Carolina's Roy Williams. Pearl is a two-time SEC coach of the yeaer.

Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs welcomed his new coach.

"From the moment I met Coach Pearl and heard his vision for our basketball program, it was clear he’s the right man at the right time for Auburn," Jacobs said.

"Coach Pearl is a proven winner who will bring energy and excitement to our program. We have raised the bar for Auburn basketball, and I could not be more

excited for our student-athletes and our future under Coach Pearl’s leadership. I know he agrees with me — it’s time to win."

Pearl won a Division II national championship at Southern Indiana during the 1994-95 season. He went 231–46 in nine seasons there from 1992-2001. He spent the next four years at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee where he went 86-36 that included two trips to the NCAA Tournament, including a trip to the Sweet 16.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, JJ has certainly beaten back the "Fire JJ" crown (myself included). At least for the next few year, I don't think coaching will be the issue at AU.

Does this mean i now have to start liking JJ? It was fun hating him but he's starting to earn his paycheck and be worthy of his job title. I give credit where credit is due.

Unbelievable hire for Auburn,what should expectations be for next year. :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance: :bananadance:

Certainly not being at the bottom of the barrel again in the SEC again. That's a good start for me.

Holy crap I can't beleive Pearl is going to be our BB coach! I'm really looking foward to seeing what he can do with our program. There are a lot of questions that go with this that will have to be answered in the coming days/months like when will he be able to recruit and that sort of thing. But to bring in a coach with his credentials is way more than I ever thought we could hope for at AU.

Just to be consistent. I'm not proud of this hire. First time I can recall AU hiring any coach with the "baggage" that BP brings.

HOT DANG!!!!!!!!!

Plenty of work to do, no shocker there, best chance at a successful basketball program in forever.

Job well done for JJ and staff....I thought JJ would be gone before something like this could happen. Well done.

I am so happy for AU and our Bball program. Pearl is awesome. His personality will bring people to the games. He can recruit and coach too. Great day!

Archived