SPLASH! AUBURN HIRES BRUCE PEARL AS BASKETBALL COACH

augolf1716

Yes. Well. Everybody deserves a second chance and this man can certainly win basketball games. So how does this work, his NCAA suspension was originally until this August (sorry if I missed some change) so he'll appoint an assistant to handle things then step in 2 months before the season? How much contact can he have with the program and how much recruiting can he personally do for us until August?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jojo1515

I was pulling for this hire all bball season. 1st time I can remember AU actually hiring my favorite candidate for the job. WDE JJ and WDE Bruce!! I wanted JJ fired a year and a half ago, now he is acting like one of the best in the biz. What a difference a day makes!!

Yes. Well. Everybody deserves a second chance and this man can certainly win basketball games. So how does this work, his NCAA suspension was originally until this August (sorry if I missed some change) so he'll appoint an assistant to handle things then step in 2 months before the season? How much contact can he have with the program and how much recruiting can he personally do for us until August?

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=10626778

NICE commentary on BSPN.

Digger Phelps: "SEC west, though no divisions anymore, you can in short order compete, with the UK's and UF's. For Auburn, great hire."

Anchor: "For us great news for a guy we love, CBP, hired at Auburn."

Not bad coverage at all.

When will the BB season ticket plans for next year be announced?

You can put a deposit down now for the 14-15 season. I'll be renewing my season tickets. A time like this i'm glad i kept it up even with how bad we've been over the years.

WDE !!!

JJ has brought home the bacon ! Let's watch BP sizzle the court. Great hire for AU !

Excellent article on BP's contriteness over his UT actions and also describes the kind of school that he believed would hire him.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/23250390/which-school-with-a-vision-will-hire-bruce-pearl-next-year

Which school with a 'vision' will hire Bruce Pearl next year?

EXCERPT: ""I let so many people down," Pearl said. "I let my family down. I let my coaches down. I let our fans down. I should've just been strong enough at the barbecue to say, 'You 90 people can be here but you five or six can't.' I should've done that. But I didn't. So I obviously relive that all the time. And when I was asked about it, I handled it wrong."

Meaning ...

"I panicked," Pearl said. "We had an investigation that we thought was supposed to be nothing. None of us had attorneys because all we thought we were going to be answering for was a few [excessive] phone calls. Next thing you know, they ask us about some things [we didn't know were coming], and we panicked and didn't tell the truth."

That was the killer.

The lying.

Most agree that Pearl and his staff would've survived had they simply acknowledged the cookout because it would've resulted in little more than secondary violations, a black eye but not a bullet wound. But the assistants were caught trying to cover for Pearl, then Pearl was caught trying to cover for everybody. None of it worked. Pearl was ultimately charged with unethical conduct -- not for the cookout but for lying to an NCAA investigator about the cookout. He was fired and given a three-year show-cause penalty that expires next August. His assistants all got one-year show-cause penalties that expired last August.......

Yes, Pearl messed up. But, in the grand scheme of things, his sins aren't the type of sins that will make him unhireable. So my guess is a school with a strong football program and mostly irrelevant basketball program will recognize that Pearl flourished immediately under similar circumstances at Tennessee and, next March or April, try to lure him back to the coaching profession. The school could then essentially petition the NCAA to get the three-year show-cause lifted early while arguing that Pearl would've already missed three seasons of coaching. If successful, great. If not, so what? All that would mean is that Pearl would be limited in how he could recruit through the summer, but it wouldn't prevent his staff from evaluating prospects in April and July, and, most important, it wouldn't prevent him from sparking enthusiasm on the day of his introduction.

So what is Pearl looking for in a next job?

I asked him.

He answered this way.

"It's going to need to be somebody that has the vision that Tennessee had," Pearl said. "Tennessee had a vision to try to get its men's basketball program to the level of its football program and where Pat Summitt had the women's basketball program. That was Tennessee's vision. They said, 'We're winning in everything else. We want to do it in men's basketball, too.' So that would be the job I'd want -- a job where somebody has that vision. It would almost need to be a school that's won a national championship in football or baseball. Somebody who's done it and wants to try to do it again in men's basketball. And I'm not saying I can win a national championship. I'm not saying that. I'm just saying it would need to be somebody who wants to try to do those things. Let's upgrade the facilities and schedule [national opponents] and engage the fans and be relevant. Just be relevant. That's what we did at Tennessee. I wanted Tennessee to matter to Kentucky fans. I wanted Tennessee to be a game Kentucky fans circled. We did that. And that's the kind of thing I would like to try to do again."

Read this article ...

AUBURN NOW HAS THE BEST COACHING TANDEM IN THE COUNTRY

Written by: Clay Travis

Sixteen months ago Auburn's football coach was Gene Chizik and its basketball coach was Tony Barbee.

This was the worst combo of head coaches in the SEC, and one of the worst tandems in the entire nation.

Fast forward 16 months and everything has changed -- Auburn now has Gus Malzahn installed in football and today they added Bruce Pearl in basketball. In just sixteen months Auburn has gone from having two of the worst head coaches in college athletics to having the best. Think about what a wild transition this is for an athletic program. Jay Jacobs has gone from being booed after hiring Gene Chizik to putting together the best coaching tandem in college athletics.

If athletic directors could win the Heisman trophy for a year's performance, Jay Jacobs would be the unanimous selection this year.

What a total whirlwind, from one of the worst coaching combos in the country to the best in just sixteen months.

Pearl will win big at Auburn because the SEC is so awful at basketball. He immediately becomes, at worst, the third best coach in the conference. (And you can argue, as I would, that Pearl is second only to BIlly Donovan). Given that Auburn employs the lead investigator who gave Bruce Pearl a three-year show cause, expect for Pearl and Auburn to appear before the NCAA and seek a lifting of his penalties that run until August. Expect the NCAA to acquiesce and expect uniformly positive national media reaction to this hire for two reasons: 1. Pearl was vastly overpenalized for a minor transgression and 2. the media, like most college basketball fans, love Bruce Pearl.

The SEC badly needs Pearl back in the conference too. You think Pearl's attempt to resuscitate a dead Auburn program might play well on the new SEC Network? Mike Slive and company desperately need for SEC basketball to be relevant national programming. Love him or hate him, Pearl makes great television.

Meanwhile pity poor Tennessee, the most snakebit program in major college athletics ever since Phil Fulmer was fired. Basically, if something can go wrong, it will go wrong with Tennessee athletics. I halfway expect for Butch Jones to get electrocuted using his microphone during spring practice. If General Neyland came back to life tomorrow, Mississippi State would find a way to hire him as football coach while Tennessee somehow found a way to rehire Derek Dooley.

Here's Tennessee in the six years with Bruce Pearl: 145-61, with six NCAA tournament appearances.

Here's Tennessee in the seven years without Bruce Pearl coaching -- the four before he was hired and the three after he left: 121-99, with one play-in game as an 11 seed against Iowa.

If Tennessee loses to Iowa tomorrow, the day after Auburn hires Bruce Pearl, be glad you don't have to check athletic director Dave Hart's email. It will be nasty, not as nasty as when Bruce Pearl comes to Knoxville coaching Auburn and gets a standing ovation from Vol fans, but close.

But this isn't really a story about Tennessee's collapse, it's about Auburn's miraculous rise over the past 16 months, from the depths of Gene Chizik and Tony Barbee despair, to a new athletics dawn.

Now that Pearl and Malzahn are both at Auburn, who else can even compete with Auburn for the best football and basketball coaches in the country?

Ohio State has a great duo with Urban Meyer and Thad Matta. You can make an argument for them. Other than that? There isn't anyone even close to the Malzahn and Pearl tandem in college athletics. This doesn't even consider the incredibly exciting brand of football and basketball both coach. Who doesn't love watching Malzahn with his sweater-vest and turtle neck fist pumps and Pearl sweating like a mad man as he gesticulates like a crazy sideline maestro. Plus, considering what both Malzahn and Pearl have already accomplished -- and are likely to accomplish in the future -- I'd take Malzahn and Pearl as the best coaching duo in college athletics over Meyer and Matta.

Sixteen months ago what odds would you have given me on Auburn pulling off this seismic change in coach ranking, from one of the worst combinations in the country to one of the best? Hell, this makes the kick six against Alabama seem downright likely.

How good is to be an Auburn Tiger fan right now?

One of my buddies just texted me and said, "You should just become an Auburn fan for the next 5-10 years."

It's good advice.

Everyone in college athletics is looking up to the Auburn Tigers.

War damn eagle, indeed.

http://msn.foxsports...the-country.php

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/basketball/men/article_386fb756-aebb-11e3-a8c3-0017a43b2370.html

Auburn, Jay Jacobs thoroughly vetted Pearl’s show-cause penalty before making hire

Before hiring Bruce Pearl, Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs did his homework.

Pearl comes to Auburn in the last year of his three-year show-cause penalty which was handed down by the NCAA in 2011 after he was cited with a “failure to monitor the program” charge after lying during an investigation into a cover-up regarding impermissible contact with a recruit during a cookout at Pearl’s residence while he was the head coach at Tennessee.

Prior to naming him Tony Barbee’s replacement, however, Jacobs and the university’s compliance department thoroughly vetted Pearl and his show-cause penalty.

David Didion, who was the NCAA's director of enforcement during Pearl's show-cause investigation before accepting the job at Auburn last spring, and Auburn's senior associate AD for compliance Rich McGlynn, were heavily involved in the process, a source close to the hiring confirmed to the Opelika-Auburn News.

Auburn also talked with the NCAA before making the hire, according to the source.

Auburn will introduce Pearl at a 7 p.m. press conference Tuesday at Auburn Arena.

Fans are welcome to attend and should enter through the scholarship entrance.

Pearl, who replaces recently fired Tony Barbee, is expected to land at the Auburn University Regional Airport at 1 p.m.

Mike Szvetitz is the Sports Editor for the Opelika-Auburn News.

If there was any way I could be at the arena tonight I would. Huge pick up for us and I'll wager Bruce will be on fire tonight when he speaks.

Red is on the ball! Don't usually cuss, but this is a helluva hire! Gonna be hard to get bball tickets now! Good problem to have.

A word from Jay Jacobs ...

When I made the decision to move our basketball program in a new direction, I pledged to find a coach who will lead a turnaround. I promised to hire the coach who will give our student-athletes a chance to succeed on the court and in the classroom.

We found our man in Coach Bruce Pearl. We needed a leader who will bring passion and energy to our program, and Coach Pearl fit the mold better than anyone.

We found a coach who agrees with me - it's time to win.

With this hire, the bar has been raised for Auburn basketball. Coach Pearl is a proven winner. He will work tirelessly to generate excitement for our program, and his track record says he will succeed.

As you no doubt know, Coach Pearl was removed from coaching for three years after an NCAA infractions case that occurred at his previous job.

After looking at the case and talking to Coach Pearl face to face, I am convinced without a doubt that he has learned from his mistake.

I've thought about this a great deal, and obviously so has Coach Pearl. I believe people who are genuine and sincere deserve second chances. If I did not believe Coach Pearl's apologies were sincere and heartfelt, I would not have even considered him.

I believe his apology was heartfelt and his remorse is real. I believe people deserve a chance for redemption when they admit their mistakes, and that is why I hired him.

This is a great day for Auburn. I believe you will enjoy getting to know Coach Pearl, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the future of Auburn basketball has never been brighter.

Thank you for your support. God Bless and War Eagle!

20131008_sig_jay.jpg

Jay Jacobs

P.S. If you don't have tickets already, put down a deposit for the 2014-2015 basketball season. For information on tickets, please call Tigers Unlimited at 1-855-282-2010. You don't want to miss it.

http://www.auburntig...jay-jacobs.html

Archived