2015 3* QB Lamar Jackson (Louisville signee)

RunInRed

Just Got An Offer From Auburn!! #Amen i been waitin!

@tito_Ljackson

4_1308631.jpg

Lamar Jackson, Dual-Threat QB

Fort Lauderdale, FL

6'3 / 185 / 4.79

- Recruiter: Rhett Lashlee

- Picked up AU offer 3/18/14

Offers: Auburn, Akron, Cincinnati, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Hawaii, Marshall, Nebraska, South Carolina, Syracuse, UCF, Utah State, Western Kentucky and West Virginia.

247Sports: 4*

Rivals: 3*

Scout: 3*

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pic makes him look like he's got a mean streak. Video reminds me of Nick in terms of his athleticism, and it doesn't look like he gets much time from his line, so I would be curious to see what he could do with more time to pass. Sounds like he's a fan, but does anyone know how likely it is we get him?

Yep. Looked at the picture and figured it was some combination of a mean streak, someone farting and/or the flash off the camera.

He's only got 1 prediction on his CB right now so I'd imagine it's pretty wide open. I highly doubt he's a take for us right now though.

The staff has met with Tyler Queen and explained the need to have 4 scholarship QB's on roster. Only Queen is guaranteed to play QB though IYAM.

It continues to befuddle me when Auburn fans, of all people, make assumptions about who will be playing quarterback in 3 years (which is at least as long as it will be before any 2015 recruit is playing QB).

We were 1 minute away from winning a national championship with a DB under center, while a 5* QB played backup safety and another 5* QB who finished his career at WR coached from the sidelines.

I believe WarDamnEagleWDE when he says that Smith is projected at WR, but not only have crazier things happened- they've happened multiple times in the last 4-5 years at Auburn. Kids don't make the transition. Kids get hurt. Kids get in trouble. Kids fail classes. We can't have too many QBs, especially if a couple of them are capable of playing other positions.

We will never be hurting for emergency QB's under CGM's recruiting system. He likes high school QBs that can transition. We probably have 5-6 high school QBs on the roster not playing QB right now.

We will never be hurting for emergency QB's under CGM's recruiting system. He likes high school QBs that can transition. We probably have 5-6 high school QBs on the roster not playing QB right now.

I think part of it might be that the HS likes to ensure the best athlete on the field touches the ball on every snap, so people like CJ Uzomomah (remember his attempts to throw passes in games a few years ago? YUCK), play the QB position in HS and then get moved around once they get to college.

:dunno:

I haven't seen anyone make any definitive statements other than Queen will be playing QB for sure, while Smith and others have the ability to play WR as well. Queen will not be playing WR. The DT guys, especially Smith have been told they may be moved to WR if it doesn't work at QB. What is so disconcerning about any of that? it has all been widely reported. It would be far crazier if we weren't discussing it IMO! :dunno:

I haven't seen anyone make any definitive statements other than Queen will be playing QB for sure, while Smith and others have the ability to play WR as well. Queen will not be playing WR. The DT guys, especially Smith have been told they may be moved to WR if it doesn't work at QB. What is so disconcerning about any of that? it has all been widely reported. It would be far crazier if we weren't discussing it IMO! :dunno:

True, nobody is making a definitive statement, yet many people every season ask why we're recruiting more QBs when we have commitments- not LOIs, and certainly not enrollments forms, but commitments- from other QBs. And I do find that disconcerting. Yes, we're fans, and it doesn't matter what we say or think. I just get tired of seeing that question bandied about on here every year, when almost every year the answer hits us like a brick. Tyrik Rollison (transfer), that big kid from Kentucky whose name I can never remember (never made it on campus, changed positions wherever he landed), Kodi Burns (changed positions), Neil Caudle (couldn't stay healthy, couldn't win the job) and Kiehl Frazier (changed positions) were all sure-fire, can't-miss, obvious Auburn quarterbacks of the future. During that same (relatively short) period, guys named Barrett Trotter, Chris Todd- who, while better than many around here give him credit for, wasn't expected to beat out Kodi Burns- Jonathan Wallace and, oh yeah, that converted DB have been named starter. Yet every year, there's this "We don't want a logjam at QB" conversation.

How about we step outside of Auburn. Look at bama. Top 5 recruiting classes every year that Saban has been there. And who's probably going to be their starting QB in 2014? An FSU transfer.

Instead of worrying about getting too many quality QBs, I worry about getting enough of them. And when a 4* stud takes a serious look at us and we at him, my first thought is always going to be, "This is good news."

I'll try to let it go. No matter how much I protest, the conversation will happen again and again. And who knows, maybe CGM will usher in a new era of more efficient QB recruiting. But if he does, then we'll have even less of a reason to ask why, and more of a reason to just say why not.

I think my favorite "doh!" QB thread on this forum was the year Russell Wilson transferred out of NC State and was rumored to be deciding between Wisco and Auburn. That thread was full of long time posters (many still here) declaring they didn't want Wilson coming in and messing up the promising dynamic and chemistry in our 2011 QB pool of Clint Moseley, Kiehl Frazier and Barrett Trotter. Suddenly introducing Wilson into that mix just would be "unfair" to those guys.

I think my favorite "doh!" QB thread on this forum was the year Russell Wilson transferred out of NC State and was rumored to be deciding between Wisco and Auburn. That thread was full of long time posters (many still here) declaring they didn't want Wilson coming in and messing up the promising dynamic and chemistry in our 2011 QB pool of Clint Moseley, Kiehl Frazier and Barrett Trotter. Suddenly introducing Wilson into that mix just would be "unfair" to those guys.

LOL Yes, how terrible does attitude look now?

!!!!!

Well we really agree on this moreso than not. I am always FOR signing a top guy (or two ;) ) every year! And yes I was a KF fan (so sue me :moon:) but I have never wanted to turn down a top kid so we agree there as well. There are a few dozen topics that make the hair stand up on the back of my neck as well!! Like when jerkwads insist that we should sign 4 LB's, then another jerkwad will call him crazy!! IT NEVER ENDS!! :poke:

Luckily they have me and you, McLoofuus, or God knows what might happen next! :cheers:

I remember that thread...very funny.

Well we really agree on this moreso than not. I am always FOR signing a top guy (or two ;) ) every year! And yes I was a KF fan (so sue me :moon:) but I have never wanted to turn down a top kid so we agree there as well. There are a few dozen topics that make the hair stand up on the back of my neck as well!! Like when jerkwads insist that we should sign 4 LB's, then another jerkwad will call him crazy!! IT NEVER ENDS!! :poke:

Luckily they have me and you, McLoofuus, or God knows what might happen next! :cheers:

Dixie 1860 I love the two Icons touching beer mugs how do I steal this from you so I can use it sometime. (assuming it is alright for me to steal if from you.

Just click the :) in the editor above your post. Then arrow over 7 times! I have to ask you to send me $5 each use thru Pay-Pal. LINK

:tease:

Like when jerkwads insist that we should sign 4 LB's, then another jerkwad will call him crazy!! IT NEVER ENDS!! :poke:

Well played as usual, Dixie. :cheers:, indeed.

I'll continue being a jerkwad on the LB subject until we have quality depth at LB. People who know full well that we had to move CB Holsey in to play LB last year keep insisting that two LB signees were enough to heal the wounds at that position.

We've already taken two commitments from high school LB's this year, but that's explained away by saying those two aren't REALLY linebackers, they are going to play the star position. So, we'll recruit two guys to play one position (star) but signing four to play two positions (LB) is silly? Some of 'em must have been challenged by second grade arithmetic. :)

Back to the subject at hand, any major college team always needs a "logjam" at QB. Look at what happened to the Gators last season. By the time 2/3 of your QB recruits don't pan out and one gets hurt you can end up in a mess if you haven't stocked up.

Sticking with the QB topic; IMO, the way we are recruiting the position makes perfect sense. Taking guys like JJ, Queen and White is a no-brainer. They are mobile enough and all three have great arms and will figure into the QB posiotion the entire stay on the plains. the kids like Jason Smith, Torrance Gibson and even Nick Marshall gives us Elite Athletes at the QB position. These guys are capable of being All-SEC types at other positions as well if they don't end up at QB. i would think Gus/Rhett would ideally have two guys like White/Queen/JJ at all times with 2-3 guys who CAN play QB as well but are also weapons at other positions on the field.

OMG

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072213aaf.html

"It is a defense that features a hybrid safety/linebacker instead of three traditional linebacker. At Auburn, Johnson named the position Star."

"What I really believe is the best starting point is 4-2. People are not allowing you to substitute freely. That's the package I think gives you the chance to be OK no matter who they put on the field and what situation."

4-2-5 defense

4 - Four Down Lineman (2 DE, 1 NT lined up in the 1 Technique, 1 DT in a 3 Technique)

2 - Two Inside Linebackers ( Inside the tackles playing a 30 technique.)

5 - Five Defensive Backs ( 1 high Safety or our Field Safety, 1 Boundary Safety, 1 Hybrid Safety playing on the weak side, 2 CB)

We have quality depth at the 2 ILB positons.

We do not have quality depth at the Star position because Therezie, Garrett, Mackenro, were all not recruited to play that position. But yet they have played well .

http://www.425defense.com/alignment/

"If you are using a 1-High Safety Coverage such as Cover 3 (which I prefer to use as our Base Coverage), your Weak Safety and Strong Safety, sometimes called Outside Linebackers, need to be very athletic. These are the players that Offensive Coordinators are most likely to pick on. "

"Against heavy run teams, you will want to tighten these players closer to the LOS, or even substitute with bigger players who are more like traditional Linebackers.

Next point: Football IQ trumps all. Holsey has a very high football IQ. So did Darren Bates. You find a way to play those guys because football is a game of decision making.

Not what Mikey is saying at all.

however, we are discussing Mr. Jackson...

*My fault for bringing up LB's. Won't happen again, I promise... :sad2:

Archived