Pearl Assistants

TIGGR82

So far I have seen that he is bringing in Tony Jones and his son, Steven Pearl.

How many more will he have? How many coaches can a Div. 1 team hire?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is wide speculation that Ryan Miller will be retained. I'm not sure how many assistant coaches that a team normally has.

How do you guys feel about Chuck Person being added as an assistant? Person is currently coaching overseas. He was on Phil Jackson's staff at the Lakers, so I would think that his NBA experience would only be a plus. But I have no idea if he fits Bruce Pearl's style of basketball.

I would also be interested to see if there are any top high school coaches in the state that Pearl would consider adding to help with in-state recruiting. Time will certainly tell.

I think Pearl should bring in assistants HE wants to bring in. If he wants Person on his staff, then I will support that. I don't think Miller should be retained. I think widespread house cleaning should be taking place after the last 4 seasons of garbage.

Bringing his son Steven, who told Al.com he's there to help "Pops" adapt to "new technology" used for interpreting game film and recruiting services. Steven also said the staff "would be crazy" to involve him in recruiting. So if we're talking 4-5 assistants, Steven will be paid how much to do exactly what? Ole Bruce maybe gave a hint when he told Al.com "...when you come to a new place like this, it is so important you bring your family along with you." And put them on the payroll? Okee dokee.

Bringing his son Steven, who told Al.com he's there to help "Pops" adapt to "new technology" used for interpreting game film and recruiting services. Steven also said the staff "would be crazy" to involve him in recruiting. So if we're talking 4-5 assistants, Steven will be paid how much to do exactly what? Ole Bruce maybe gave a hint when he told Al.com "...when you come to a new place like this, it is so important you bring your family along with you." And put them on the payroll? Okee dokee.

I'm not sure why you're mad. Every head coach in basketball hires assistants to help break down film and technology. Steven will likely not be there to be a full time assistant but to be a quality control assistant.

I think Pearl should bring in assistants HE wants to bring in. If he wants Person on his staff, then I will support that. I don't think Miller should be retained. I think widespread house cleaning should be taking place after the last 4 seasons of garbage.

Agree 100%

I'm not sure why you're mad. Every head coach in basketball hires assistants to help break down film and technology. Steven will likely not be there to be a full time assistant but to be a quality control assistant.

I'm not sure why you think I'm mad.

Is there anything you do like about the biggest BB hire in AU history? So what if he is helping his kid break in to coaching, call it a perk of the job for being a rock star coach. Steve Spurrior Jr, Jim Mora Jr., Wade Phillips, Rex Ryan- they all had fathers that got them in. Whatever we do pay Steven is a small, small price to pay to get Bruce.

Is there anything you do like about the biggest BB hire in AU history? So what if he is helping his kid break in to coaching, call it a perk of the job for being a rock star coach. Steve Spurrior Jr, Jim Mora Jr., Wade Phillips, Rex Ryan- they all had fathers that got them in. Whatever we do pay Steven is a small, small price to pay to get Bruce.

And you have to hire somebody to fill that position...so hire someone that you trust and know will be around for a while and also it is the family business....

And you have to hire somebody to fill that position...so hire someone that you trust and know will be around for a while and also it is the family business....

Plus he talked about bringing in a couple of people who know his system. Who better than his former assistant and his own son?

Since it was a foregone conclusion that his son would be here, just for the sake of common sense, don't you imagine JJ knew this, prior to CBP and family even leaving Knoxville? lol

If you ever had the chance to see him play defense at UT, I'll take 4 more just like him. He played pressure as tightly as paint on a wall. Competitive deluxe.

Clint Myer brought his son to AU for women's softball....nothing new about this.

Guest jojo1515

Clint Myer brought his son to AU for women's softball....nothing new about this.

Oh the shame. What have we come to???

Seriously though, does anyone know how many assistants are allowed?

Google is your friend....

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/03/16/sports/ncaabasketball/theyre-here-there-and-everywhere-college-basketball-assistants.html

Officially, you can have 3 assistant coaches, but "support staff" are limited only by creativity (in coming up with new titles) and finances.

Guest jojo1515

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/03/16/sports/ncaabasketball/theyre-here-there-and-everywhere-college-basketball-assistants.html

Officially, you can have 3 assistant coaches, but "support staff" are limited only by creativity (in coming up with new titles) and finances.

Google is my friend, and apparently you are not. Google helps yes, but rules constantly change (which google does not update old posts). Figured somebody here actually knew the current rule without having to rummage through a million google posts for dates and conflicting reports. Your report is a year old. Is that current??? Thanks anyways.

3 true assistants and here's what the makeup looked like under Barbee

Associate Head Coach- Ryan Miller

Assistant Coach- Tony Madlock

Assistant Coach- Milt Wagner

Director of BBall Operations- Randall Dickey

Exec Director of Bball- Steve Smith

Admin Assistant

Conditioning Coach

half dozen or so 'managers'

All of the coaching staff on Auburn's website has been cleared as of this morning. Just Pearl listed right now.

3 true assistants and here's what the makeup looked like under Barbee

Associate Head Coach- Ryan Miller

Assistant Coach- Tony Madlock

Assistant Coach- Milt Wagner

Director of BBall Operations- Randall Dickey

Exec Director of Bball- Steve Smith

Admin Assistant

Conditioning Coach

half dozen or so 'managers'

All of the coaching staff on Auburn's website has been cleared as of this morning. Just Pearl listed right now.

- Will be Steven Pearl's job under CBP

I wonder if Bruce will hire Chuck Person.

All indications right now is no.

JMO but would be hard to hire CP....no college coaching experience to amount to anything and he would not come cheap would he? Hope BP brings in a couple guys who know the college game and have experience developing young players.

I totally disagree with those who do not want to keep Ryan Miller. He was the only good thing about Barbee's staff and is a outstanding recruiter. Him and Tony Jones would be a Grand Slam.

wde

http://mobile.nytime...assistants.html

Google is my friend, and apparently you are not. Google helps yes, but rules constantly change (which google does not update old posts). Figured somebody here actually knew the current rule without having to rummage through a million google posts for dates and conflicting reports. Your report is a year old. Is that current??? Thanks anyways.

Darn, I was so wanting to be your friend.

:cheers:

I checked the date before I posted, and figured it was current enough. By the time I got to the bottom of the first page of results (search string = "how many assistant coaches on a college basketball team"), it was listing wikipedia articles on various asst coaches, so there are not even dozens of relevant posts to sort through. I suspect if the rule had changed in the last year, there would have been at least a couple of articles about it, so while I don't have authoritative information, I have sufficient reason to believe that is still accurate. (BTW, I did check the ncaa.org site, but finding information there is harder than navigating their arcane compliance rules.)

I totally disagree with those who do not want to keep Ryan Miller. He was the only good thing about Barbee's staff and is a outstanding recruiter. Him and Tony Jones would be a Grand Slam.

wde

I just feel like it would be better to get rid of all things associated with the Tony Barbee era.

Archived