Austin Wiley 2017 5* PF Enrolls at AU!!! (Updated 12/16/16)

Grumps

8 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

If he shows up on campus, I hope people will keep their expectations  of him reasonable.  He's a kid and will have a tough time against sec bigs.  I'm sure he has improved in the last 10 months but I saw him play this last high school season.  I don't think he will be ready this season if he comes.  10-15 minutes max per game.  Also he will have a tough time with the Ticky tack calls.

All I want from him his freshman year is to be a much needed helpful rebound presence. Not to much to ask IMO.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

All I want from him his freshman year is to be a much needed helpful rebound presence. Not to much to ask IMO.

Who loses whatever minutes he gets ?

24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Who loses whatever minutes he gets ?

My guess is a mix of HS, Laron, and another forward or guard. I think when we go 2 Bigs like AW & HS, Danjel stays in moving to the 3 and someone else comes out. My guess is that's Bryce unless he is hot with MH sliding over to be the wing guard.

FWIW From a big time basketball insider who is usually pretty reliable

Wiley is currently 6'11 and his growth plates are still open. Docs speculate he could finish around 7'1. 

Link

Oh and I forgot to mention he weighs 265 currently. 

From the editor of hoopseen.com FWIW

Getting another look at Auburn signee Austin Wiley. Maybe most explosive and fluid of a runner I've seen him. Rim protector, elite rebounder

Austin Wiley finishes with 20-15-5 off of nine shot attempts. Efficient and productive. Ready made big man headed to Auburn

I'm guessing the 15 & 5 are rebounds & blocks.

Auburn signee Austin Wiley shows out at prestigious tournament

6_4674484.jpg
Auburn signee Austin Wiley had a standout showing at the Charlotte Hoops Challenge this past weekend. (Photo: Kelly Kline/Under Armour)

Austin Wiley was a dominant force in one of the most prestigious tournaments in the country this past week.

Wiley, a 2017 Auburn signee, took part in the Charlotte Hoops Challenge in Charlotte, N.C., last Friday and Saturday. It’s an event that has hosted first-round NBA picks Andrew Wiggins and Jamal Murray in recent years  and Wiley looked like he could join that duo in the near future.

Wiley led his school, Conrad Academy of Orlando, Fla., to a 2-0 record in the tournament. In the two victories  66-62 over Independence High School of North Carolina on Friday and 92-81 over Bishop Sullivan of Virginia on Saturday  Wiley combined to score 42 points and grab 25 rebounds.

And he was startling efficient from the field.

Against Independence, Wiley made 6 of his 9 field goal attempts. He was even better against Bishop Sullivan, connecting on 10 of his 12 shots.

Subscribe to the FREE Auburn Undercover newsletter for the best, most-up-to-date Tigers coverage on the planet — it only takes five seconds to sign up!

Wiley, a 6-foot-11, 250-pound power forward ranked as the nation’s No. 16 overall prospect according to the 247Sports Composite, signed with Auburn on the first day of the early signing period earlier this month. Rumors have continued to swirl that he will join the Tigers by the time the spring semester begins, though Auburn coach Bruce Pearl and those close to Wiley have stayed mum on the subject.

Auburn is 4-1 through five games this season and hosts USC Upstate Tuesday at Auburn Arena. Tip off is set for 7 p.m. CT.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Auburn-signee-Austin-Wiley-shows-out-at-prestigious-tournament-49395874

• Like 1

This guy could be the missing piece to get this team to NCAA tourney THIS year. Sure he'll need time to adjust to college ball, but our current big men are playing well enough to give him some low pressure minutes. I like where this is headed ;D

2 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

This guy could be the missing piece to get this team to NCAA tourney THIS year. Sure he'll need time to adjust to college ball, but our current big men are playing well enough to give him some low pressure minutes. I like where this is headed ;D

Anyone thinking AU has a shot at the NCAAs this year is going to be disappointed. But I'm almost certain, if Purifoy says 2 more years, they will make it. Maybe next year.

33 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Anyone thinking AU has a shot at the NCAAs this year is going to be disappointed. But I'm almost certain, if Purifoy says 2 more years, they will make it. Maybe next year.

If the 2 years you are counting this year then you are likely right. I don't expect him staying past his RS Soph year.

9 hours ago, jared52 said:

I guess I'll be disappointed then. There are some seriously talented players on the team right now, the best we've had in many years. They should improve by leaps and bounds as they play more games together.  The NCAA takes 65 teams, it's not that hard to get in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I guess I'll be disappointed then. There are some seriously talented players on the team right now, the best we've had in many years. They should improve by leaps and bounds as they play more games together.  The NCAA takes 65 teams, it's not that hard to get in.

We'll having the best players in years just means we should rise above being one of the worst 3 teams in the SEC. Lol. But I see your point. I'm hopeful for ncaa but not expecting it. I think we can get there if this team learns to play together and folks find their roles

13 hours ago, jared52 said:

Heron is better than Purifoy. Add Wiley who may also be better than Purifoy or somewhere in the same neighborhood and it is very possible to make the NCAA THIS year. That is why I say Wiley MAY be the piece needed to get there this year. I'm not EXPECTING to get there, but do believe we the talent needed to do so. 

• Like 3

Wiley would give us the first really big body we have had in a long time especially the 265 pounds. He has shown in tournaments and on select teams this summer that he can rebound and block shots he has also showed some offensive skills. It is a big leap coming in to college without having worked with team in the fall but I think he can help this team early and give us an outside chance of getting into NCAA. If I am right by end of season once he has acclimatized to NCAA Basketball he and the team will both be much better and might even surprise some teams if they can make the tournament but if they don't make NCAA if Wiley does join team in late December we will look really good in the NIT. 

• Like 1

I have been thinking that Wiley's influence would be minimal and would come via minimal minutes.  I'm impressed by the recent press on him.  

After watching the last 2 games against true big men, I see a challenge with the present team.  It's a double wammy... we are dropping extra men inside to help with their big, which is getting us out of position and helping the other team get open for outside shots - which Perdue and USC-up hit ... with a true big of our own we might not have to have so much double teaming down low making the perimeter defending a touch easier ... does any of that seem reasonable?

i also noticed spencer and smith both put the ball on the floor in this last game and use a little bit of a dribble to create some of their own offense.  That could mean seeing spencer as a PF and creating some match up problems for others also getting more height on the floor.

• Like 3

On 11/30/2016 at 11:11 PM, mustache eagle said:

I have been thinking that Wiley's influence would be minimal and would come via minimal minutes.  I'm impressed by the recent press on him.  

After watching the last 2 games against true big men, I see a challenge with the present team.  It's a double wammy... we are dropping extra men inside to help with their big, which is getting us out of position and helping the other team get open for outside shots - which Perdue and USC-up hit ... with a true big of our own we might not have to have so much double teaming down low making the perimeter defending a touch easier ... does any of that seem reasonable?

i also noticed spencer and smith both put the ball on the floor in this last game and use a little bit of a dribble to create some of their own offense.  That could mean seeing spencer as a PF and creating some match up problems for others also getting more height on the floor.

I'm not sure Spencer's game fit's a 4 role in CBP's system but good thoughts and analysis ME.

On 11/25/2016 at 10:16 PM, ellitor said:
From the editor of hoopseen.com FWIW

I'm guessing the 15 & 5 are rebounds & blocks.

5 is probably assists

On 11/30/2016 at 11:11 PM, mustache eagle said:

Check what I said before the season started about purifoy playing the 4....yeah sounds very reasonable.

But Spencer doesn't have an offensive game really but he's a great runner for a big and with the tempo we play he could make a living off of running in transition and scoring off offensive rebounds with put backs and dunks. 

Also if purifoy was able to move to the 3 THAT is where we could cause match up problems. Him and Herron

• Like 2

I remember your comment.  You were very concerned about purifoy being under utilized at the 4 ... Not being his ideal college or NBA position.  My uneducated observation is purifoy is not as comfortable going to the basket as is herron.  Could be the position has affected that some.  Regardless, being at the 3 would give him more options

It would definitely give cbp more tools for adjusting in game or to different opposition.  Spencer was getting bullied against Purdue by that behemoth. Not his fault.  Dude was 50 pounds heavier.  I have felt like smith has handled the bigger guys slightly better.  Maybe his age/maturity has helped a little.

Edited by mustache eagle

I like Purifoy at the 3. He's got the length/athleticism to do well against whoever he's matched up with, offensively and defensively when the effort is there. 

Wiley at the 5 would be huge. I'm pretty sure this kid is already bigger than Dwight Howard was at his age. Seems like exactly what we need on the inside on both sides. 

Having Heron and Purifoy at the 2 & 3, Wiley at 5, Harper at 1, and the 4 left up to committee/whoever takes over. That's a damn good lineup on every level except experience. Pair that with good coaching and you'd likely have to add me to the group of fans who'd be disappointed without a tournament appareance.

Not to say that I'm expecting one but I'm excited that we are finally in a position where I can say that I have actual hope that if a few pieces fall into place we could make it there. 

So these post make it sound like y'all really think he comes in next semester?

i do ever recall that happing at auburn or anywhere else. If he did could he not be a one semester and done?

12 minutes ago, gonefhin said:

i do ever recall that happing at auburn or anywhere else. If he did could he not be a one semester and done?

Yes he could, but he could also be one that skips college altogether and just goes pro out of high school. I'm thinking the sooner we get him on campus, the better. Also, I'm hoping his parents influence him to stay in school for at least a couple of years.

However, quoting the late, great AU coach Shug Jordan : "I'd find it extremely difficult to advise a young man to turn down a half-million dollars."  This was in response to a question about Ol' Miss basketball player Johnny Newman leaving school for the ABA after his soph. year, which was unheard of back then. Change that half-million to 10 or 20 million now, and there you have it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gonefhin said:

Yes it's possible. Happens all the time. its legal for HS freshmen who have graduated early to enroll and play early. 

11 hours ago, gonefhin said:

What would be the first game he could play if he does enroll for Spring semester?