Austin Wiley 2017 5* PF Enrolls at AU!!! (Updated 12/16/16)

Grumps

2 hours ago, LakeBum said:

What would be the first game he could play if he does enroll for Spring semester?

It would depend on when he graduates and the NCAA clears him. Best case scenario I see is Mercer on the 18th but more likely would be around UK on January 14th.

• Like 1

I would expect to see McLemore lose minutes, and we would see Auburn mix big and small lineups.   Also, for the Purifoy discussion, he is getting a good bit of open looks at the three point stripe, because the man guarding him is a mismatch and they close out on him too slow. I wouldn't assume his offensive production will go up due to moving him to the 3 spot. It would create a different type of mismatch, and we haven't seen much DP's midrange or interior game yet, so it is a bit of an unknown. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ellitor said:

It would depend on when he graduates and the NCAA clears him. Best case scenario I see is Mercer on the 18th but more likely would be around UK on January 14th.

I thought that coach Pearl said he wasn't enrolling early. Did something change?

2 hours ago, AUbehemoth said:

I thought that coach Pearl said he wasn't enrolling early. Did something change?

No. CBP said AW was on schedule to get to AU. As to what that meant he intentionally left open.

Our semester ends the 10th, his prep schools ends the 16th, and spring classes Jan 11th. So sometime after the ends and before the beginning. 

2 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Our semester ends the 10th, his prep schools ends the 16th, and spring classes Jan 11th. So sometime after the ends and before the beginning. 

It would not necessarily be before the beginning of Spring semester. Still have to get NCAA clearance to play. Jarnell Stokes first game for Tennessee in 2012 was against UK on January 14th. Classes started that year for Tennessee on January 11th.

On 12/5/2016 at 0:20 AM, JwgreDeux said:

I would expect to see McLemore lose minutes, and we would see Auburn mix big and small lineups.   Also, for the Purifoy discussion, he is getting a good bit of open looks at the three point stripe, because the man guarding him is a mismatch and they close out on him too slow. I wouldn't assume his offensive production will go up due to moving him to the 3 spot. It would create a different type of mismatch, and we haven't seen much DP's midrange or interior game yet, so it is a bit of an unknown. 

Completely agree. Luol Deng popped off when Heat moved him from the 3 to the 4. Similar offensive games IMO.

My thing will be - does the offense slow down with 2 bigs in the game - Wiley, Spencer, and Smith? Think Bruce wants to run and two bigs alters that. I really can't wait to see EJ Montgomery. Perfect 4 man for this offense.

10 minutes ago, brad5628AU said:

Completely agree. Luol Deng popped off when Heat moved him from the 3 to the 4. Similar offensive games IMO.

My thing will be - does the offense slow down with 2 bigs in the game - Wiley, Spencer, and Smith? Think Bruce wants to run and two bigs alters that. I really can't wait to see EJ Montgomery. Perfect 4 man for this offense.

That's why I think Danjel still plays qyite a bit at the 4 even after AW gets here.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's why I think Danjel still plays qyite a bit at the 4 even after AW gets here.

Not sure who plays what....but when Wiley arrives it will be nice to get a guy who is rebound oriented...and has the size to do the work.  

The few games I have seen, DP does not seem to be an aggressive rebounder....which Spencer is...as long as he can stay out of foul trouble.  I see Wiley listed as a PF..but hoping that is just an identity of convenience and not some indication that he will play away from the basket?  

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yep..as longing as he's making plays in transition + knocking down 40% from 3, leave him at PF. Icing on the cake if he can elevate his defense.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Not sure who plays what....but when Wiley arrives it will be nice to get a guy who is rebound oriented...and has the size to do the work.  

The few games I have seen, DP does not seem to be an aggressive rebounder....which Spencer is...as long as he can stay out of foul trouble.  I see Wiley listed as a PF..but hoping that is just an identity of convenience and not some indication that he will play away from the basket?  

Old evals now. He's a couple inches taller and a good bit heavier than when a couple sites listed him as a PF.

• Like 1

I actually think that if Wiley makes it this year that Mclemore and TJ Lang will be the ones who's minutes suffer a little bit. Another big obviously hurts Mclemore's chances to get more minutes and TJ Lang's minutes may dry up because if are running a lineup with Wiley + Spencer/Anfernee/Smith then Purifoy will get more run at his natural 3 spot which could phase TJ Lang out a bit.

21 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I actually think that if Wiley makes it this year that Mclemore and TJ Lang will be the ones who's minutes suffer a little bit. Another big obviously hurts Mclemore's chances to get more minutes and TJ Lang's minutes may dry up because if are running a lineup with Wiley + Spencer/Anfernee/Smith then Purifoy will get more run at his natural 3 spot which could phase TJ Lang out a bit.

Purifoy is actually playing too many minutes as it is. He won't get more minutes with the addition of Wiley, he might actually get less. 

39 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Purifoy is actually playing too many minutes as it is. He won't get more minutes with the addition of Wiley, he might actually get less. 

I was thinking more like DJP's minutes would take a slight hit and not expand but that a larger percentage of those minutes would just be coming from the 3 spot rather than the 4. And if DJP is manning more of the 3 spot, it seems like Lang's minutes at the 3 would be the one to suffer..

48 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I was thinking more like DJP's minutes would take a slight hit and not expand but that a larger percentage of those minutes would just be coming from the 3 spot rather than the 4. And if DJP is manning more of the 3 spot, it seems like Lang's minutes at the 3 would be the one to suffer..

Not to get too far off topic, but Lang plays more of the 2 spot, on the court with Dunans (3) and Johnson (1). 

I am not sure what kind of defender Lang is.  I'm not qualified.  But his presence on offense seems to be long rebounds and set shots from 3 land.  If we add capable players, then his minutes go down if he isnt lighting it up.  I know we may be talking apples and oranges, but if a true #5 pushes a 5 to the 4, a 4 to the 3 and so forth, then Lang will need to be scoring to keep from losing time.

McLemore is an interesting player to me.  His energy, vertical and play making just seems like will keep his minutes.  Similar to Dunnans ... mclemore, although lesser minutes, brings energy to the court every time.  

Will be interesting, regardless.  Wiley seems to really open up the possibilities for CBP.

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

Not to get too far off topic, but Lang plays more of the 2 spot, on the court with Dunans (3) and Johnson (1). 

I was thinking when our 2nd unit is in there its Johnson at 1, Dunans at 2, Lang at 3 :dunno:

Edited by Tiger

29 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I am not sure what kind of defender Lang is.  I'm not qualified.  But his presence on offense seems to be long rebounds and set shots from 3 land.  If we add capable players, then his minutes go down if he isnt lighting it up.  I know we may be talking apples and oranges, but if a true #5 pushes a 5 to the 4, a 4 to the 3 and so forth, then Lang will need to be scoring to keep from losing time.

McLemore is an interesting player to me.  His energy, vertical and play making just seems like will keep his minutes.  Similar to Dunnans ... mclemore, although lesser minutes, brings energy to the court every time.  

Will be interesting, regardless.  Wiley seems to really open up the possibilities for CBP.

This is what I was trying to allude to

There isn't a difference really, Dunans is more creative and capable of creating space and getting his shot off so offensively they are looking to set Lang up more. He's running off screens and whatnot. From what I can tell so far Lang has worked hard on his defense but that in turn is hurting his offense

With all that being said with a big man Lang will more than likely get much much better

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

Oh and big men don't slow the game as much as some think. The tempo of a game will always be more impacted by rebounding and if the person who gets the rebound can handle the ball. Then an opposing team can stop you by running an offense that goes through a big man or demand at least 4 passes before a shot.

If you don't win the rebound war though you're not really controlling tempo. And actually the big man lagging a bit and someone hitting him as he cuts to his position is one of the harder things to stop.  

Lastly Spencer is every bit as fast as all of our guards

• Like 1

Pearls offense historically has heavy usage of a stretch 4. There is some great info out there about Bruce's mod flex offense that explains why  

Heard from two places that Wiley may be available for OOC games coming up but should be on trac for conference at least. As one said "hedge bets" on super early arrival.  I don't believe he starts for quite awhile though. Would be expecting a lot. 

Also, Elliott why'd you block me on twitter? Legit confused since I can't think of anything that merited that

Edited by GenesChin

4 hours ago, brad5628AU said:

I see posts about the dates he can start playing. Though can he start practicing with the team ASAP? 

The moment he is cleared, yes.

Wiley status update from JGT & BMatt on Sunday's Rundown podcast.  You can find the Rundown podcast for free on the Itunes store here. The Wiley part begins at the 20:45 mark.

-Wiley has graduated

-Going through process now of being cleared by AU, SEC & NCAA

-Could get cleared by Monday or Tuesday 12th or 13th

-SEC particularly skeptical of recruits in general who change schools from Jr to Sr year like Wiley did so they may be taking a bit longer

-may be ready to play versus Coastal Carolina on the 15th

• Like 4