Austin Wiley 2017 5* PF Enrolls at AU!!! (Updated 12/16/16)

Grumps

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Of course there is the issue of speed and how he would affect the faster paced offense they have been running.  

Seems AU would not play as well in a half court game if he had trouble keeping up with the quick break guards?      Sunday should be instructive.

He will make our pace faster more than likely, not slow it. 

Edited by cole256

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Viper is that you?

I don't have it like you my brother. I can say things and get ignored somebody else later say things I've been saying and they become gurus. 

I don't get the recognition like you great coaches on here do ;). I don't have you guys clout...on the board. Now on a court well that's different lol

Edited by cole256

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

I was more thinking about how he would fit in an up tempo offense....our half court game does not look that good to me with so much standing around.... though maybe that problem could improve with him inside.  Don't see AU as a half court team this season ....and frankly I'm not sure what offense BP would prefer to play.  

Good defenses will make offenses a half court team, especially tourney time. We have to get better in there and making our guards be patient and go low some to Austin could greatly improve our half court game over time.

• Like 2

I don't think BP is even wanting to set up half court offenses very much. Look at when he was at Tennessee, a lot of what those teams did was play defense, and isolate their best players to help them create and score. Pearl seems to like leaving the offense in a state of create and score. Thats why guys like KT Harrell and Kareem Canty were such great scorers. Pearl let them work. When you have talent to do that, which we do, why slow it down when you can get up a lot of shots, and trust your great defense will win you some games in which you do not hit shots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I don't think BP is even wanting to set up half court offenses very much. Look at when he was at Tennessee, a lot of what those teams did was play defense, and isolate their best players to help them create and score. Pearl seems to like leaving the offense in a state of create and score. Thats why guys like KT Harrell and Kareem Canty were such great scorers. Pearl let them work.

Pearl got the ball inside some when he had Brandon Crump at UTk. Wiley will be better and eventually get his half court touches.

Edited by ellitor

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

I can see that if we are playing half court offense . It just seems however that people are able to defend our half court offense because we don't have enough action/ motion when the team is setting for a play.  Hoping that will change as the team develops. 

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

When you have talent to do that, which we do, why slow it down

Because we have been way too rushed and looked absolutely awful at times in the half court. If they are rushing and playing awful like the first half vs. BC then they need to get the ball inside just to calm things down if nothing else.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I can see that if we are playing half court offense . It just seems however that people are able to defend our half court offense because we don't have enough action/ motion when the team is setting for a play.  Hoping that will change as the team develops. 

It did Thursday. Offensive movement was good for the most part.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It did Thursday. Offensive movement was good for the most part.

Dunan's seemed to make a difference...but we took a lot of quick 3s.....just happened to be red hot....and DP ....

Edited by AU64

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

but we took a lot of quick 3s.....just happened to be red hot....and DP ....

Yes but most were good shot slections in offensive movement flow unlike many that went up versus BC. They did much better using & coming off screens.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

45 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Asking respectfully...How so?

Agreed, fast break opportunities primarily come off of turnovers and defensive rebounds. With His added rebounding and rim protecting we increase opportunities to run. Also, there is an art to an outlet pass, the pass from the rebounder to the ball handler that starts the break, and our current lineup is lacking there. If anyone other than Spencer rebounds they tend to dribble it up the floor. Passing is faster than dribbling. 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Agreed, fast break opportunities primarily come off of turnovers and defensive rebounds. With His added rebounding and rim protecting we increase opportunities to run. Also, there is an art to an outlet pass, the pass from the rebounder to the ball handler that starts the break, and our current lineup is lacking there. If anyone other than Spencer rebounds they tend to dribble it up the floor. Passing is faster than dribbling. 

tenor.gif

I feel like an idiot now.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

tenor.gif

I feel like an idiot now.

I don't know about that.....but it is nice to have someone explain what is behind what we see....or don't see.   I know the game is not as spontaneous as it sometimes appears...or as coaches expect ......but on the other hand, we sometimes see a game of street ball break out when it is least useful.

Thanks for the explanations....

3 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Also agree on this. I remember in the 70's and 80's if you had a big man inside that could get the rebounds, the guards didn't come back to the rebounder to get the outlet pass like they seem to do now. The rebounder would look for the guard just before side mid-court and make the pass. The guard is now almost over half court and can start his fast break, drive or additional pass to other players, as now there is a mismatch on the fastbreak. If you don't have the skyscraper or dominant rebounder inside today, teams don't get this kind of speed up offense. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I don't know about that.....but it is nice to have someone explain what is behind what we see....or don't see.   I know the game is not as spontaneous as it sometimes appears...or as coaches expect ......but on the other hand, we sometimes see a game of street ball break out when it is least useful.

Thanks for the explanations....

Really?

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Jealous? :)

I really am. All the stuff I've posted and explained.....somebody else say it and it's.......LOL. You can't make this up.

But hey I'm like Morpheus on the matrix. I only offer the truth with this basketball stuff, it's up to the individual to accept it. Lol.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Really?

Actually it was nice to see an objective commentary on the subject....instead of the frequent snarky comments or put downs that a couple posters can't resist making....apparently there are folks who figure that there is no point in making a response if they can't find something negative to say or imply. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I really am. All the stuff I've posted and explained.....somebody else say it and it's.......LOL. You can't make this up.

But hey I'm like Morpheus on the matrix. I only offer the truth with this basketball stuff, it's up to the individual to accept it. Lol.

I would have called myself an idiot if it had been you explained how Wiley can quicken pace instead of JD. It was really a duh moment for me.

41 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Actually it was nice to see an objective commentary on the subject....instead of the frequent snarky comments or put downs that a couple posters can't resist making....apparently there are folks who figure that there is no point in making a response if they can't find something negative to say or imply. 

Quote a put down? But yes I'll disagree with you so if that what you mean then ok....I'll take that. As far as basketball everything I write is objective, if a guy is good he's good if but he's not. Now things like a guy doesn't listen to a coach, or a guy should be grateful to even have a scholly....that's subjective. That's more like you it seems. But no problem I'll start pm stuff to other people and get them to say it then you'll agree

35 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I would have called myself an idiot if it had been you explained how Wiley can quicken pace instead of JD. It was really a duh moment for me.

I actually did explain it, it was a while ago when you and another guy mentioned not moving Purifoy to the 4'...But I guess you didn't see it. But it's all good. But you know how you have your favorite guys you shout out alot about recruiting like jonsey and kkloumbo (sp) or whatnot? That's how well I know basketball. But I guess I'm abrasive or whatever. But damn even metafor get love....

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

Viper is that you?

Lol you could post cheeseburger and somebody would like it! You have the juice!