Austin Wiley 2017 5* PF Enrolls at AU!!! (Updated 12/16/16)

Grumps

19 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

Listening to radio yesterday, I think it was more of a shot to talent on his team at SP.  They were talking about how there was not a lot of talent on his team and all the other teams SP played this year would end up just triple teaming him without worry of the other guys.

Hey....this is high school basketball in Alabama where the best athletes play football.     Maybe some blame can be put on the coach but in the Alabama, the money goes into football at most schools...and the quality of coaching reflects that.   For a guy with his potential, Wiley is smart to play where he will face better competition on his on team...and during the season.   These days, its almost impossible for a normal public HS to keep it's basketball talent. 

On 8/2/2016 at 7:39 PM, ellitor said:
On 8/4/2016 at 0:34 AM, ellitor said:

Well hopefully the Wiley's haver that stuff taken care of. They made the decision to transfer 4 or 5 months ago.

:hellyeah: 

On 8/3/2016 at 6:43 PM, Tiger said:

That's what I would've guessed. All the credits not transferring over. That sucks!

Yes because everybody will tell the kid's parents what they want to hear. Every school will make their classes and curriculum sound like the greatest, but unless you have someone who works for the ncaa you take a chance where you don't know

On 8/6/2016 at 8:38 AM, AU64 said:

Hey....this is high school basketball in Alabama where the best athletes play football.     Maybe some blame can be put on the coach but in the Alabama, the money goes into football at most schools...and the quality of coaching reflects that.   For a guy with his potential, Wiley is smart to play where he will face better competition on his on team...and during the season.   These days, its almost impossible for a normal public HS to keep it's basketball talent. 

I actually think it's the size of school's and population more than anything. 

On 8/5/2016 at 1:00 PM, Gibson SG said:

I think it is a shot at the coach, and an accurate one at that.  The coach they let go last year is/was way better at developing players.  He just had bad luck in that 2 of the 4 games they lost that year, Wiley was out with an illness.  One of those happened to be in the area finals.  The old coach took Muscle Shoals to the state championship game this year after they only won 10 or so games the previous year.  The Wiley's were very upset when the coach was let go.  He'd still be at SP if the coach was there.  Neal Barker is the old coach currently coaching at Muscle Shoals.

They also recruited a little talent hear and there and they moved mark up from eighth grade. They have a good bit of young talent. Sheffield returns 4 of their 5 starters back as well. As far as athleticism, I haven't seen too many teams from  NorthWest bama as athletic as that team overall. Maybe some butler teams back in the day

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I actually think it's the size of school's and population more than anything. 

That's a problem for certain but I think back to when JJ was in HS and after a good basketball season he made the football decision in college.  Just thinking that a guy with his ability living in Pilly or NY would have been 100% basketball and likely would have ended up playing at a major school.  

In general the state of Alabama has a big enough population to turn out more quality basketball players than we see.    I live in North Carolina and even in a basketball crazy state like this, the best prospects in middle school or early HS often end up playing at private schools and basketball factories....which we seem to have plenty of in the state.  The kids don't leave the state but they pretty quickly abandon their "neighborhood" HS.  

There are some good players and some good coaches in Alabama  but IMO, not proportional to the population and exceptional players like Wiley will benefit from a move to better competition.   I worry that it makes it more difficult to keep them playing basketball in the state but maybe BP can overcome that issue.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious....we have a number of high level recruits.....are any of them playing in these all star games? and if so, how are they doing.

Because of his size Wiley is unique.....well not unique, but certainly rare....and there is always a need for a good big man in an all star game.  Just wondering about the rest of his future team mates. 

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Just curious....we have a number of high level recruits.....are any of them playing in these all star games? and if so, how are they doing.

Because of his size Wiley is unique.....well not unique, but certainly rare....and there is always a need for a good big man in an all star game.  Just wondering about the rest of his future team mates. 

Different apparel companies have their own all star evens & there are some not affiliated with apparels. The one Wiley went to was put on by Under Armour. Davion Mitchell has been in a number of All Star events the past year. His AAU team was a Nike Brand so he was at a number of Nike events & did well.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

Wiley transfers to prep school in Orlando to finish high school. This is your turf @augolf1716 . Scoopage will be expected.

Auburn basketball commit Austin Wiley, ranked as the No. 17 player in the Class of 2017 by ESPN.com, has transferred to Conrad Academy in Orlando, he confirmed to USA TODAY High School Sports.

Wiley, a 6-10 power forward, had previously indicated his plans to leave Spain Park High (Hoover, Ala.) for a prep school in Florida. He averaged 22 points and 12 rebounds last season for Spain Park, which reached the state 7A finals.

“I’m going to miss all the people at Spain Park and the school,” Wiley told USA TODAY High School Sports last week at Elite 24 in Brooklyn. “But it was just a choice for furthering my education and furthering my basketball talent. I just had to get better as a player and a person, so that’s why I made the move.”

Wiley had 22 points and 12 rebounds, the only player in the Elite 24 game with a double-double. In the process, he earned a share of the MVP award.

Conrad is coached by Shawn Wiseman, who led United Faith Christian Academy to a pair of North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association 1A state titles in 2009 and ’10.

Wiley also was on Team USA’s gold medal winners at the U17 world championships.

“I feel like I got better,” he said. “It was hard competition. I just got better as a player.”

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Confusing Conrad is only 15 minutes from me. To my knowledge they have never been good at any sports. Really I never heard of them

Maybe it's about graduating early.

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Confusing Conrad is only 15 minutes from me. To my knowledge they have never been good at any sports. Really I never heard of them

Check their coach....came from the Charlotte area where he won some championships with a little school nobody every heard of....but he had recruited some very good basketball players.  Not sure how he got to Florida however but sounds like the same thing.....and I don't think academics is what it's all about other than he may find  way to graduate early.   He will play some good teams that nobody every heard of composed mostly of kids like him who are looking to elevate their games.

7 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Very true but the school for BB is about 35 minutes away from me....... Montverde Academy

http://mvasports.com/team/boys-varsity-basketball/

True...but if  you look at the schools site and consider the coach and who they play.....that might be the ideal place for him....at least his parents think so.

30 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True...but if  you look at the schools site and consider the coach and who they play.....that might be the ideal place for him....at least his parents think so.

I totally agree Monteverde is a BB factory only could care less about acadenics

On August 28, 2016 at 4:24 PM, tigermac said:

The plan is for him to graduate in December and be eligible to enroll and play for Auburn in January.

That would be fantastic, hope it pans out. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/28/2016 at 4:24 PM, tigermac said:

The plan is for him to graduate in December and be eligible to enroll and play for Auburn in January.

A friend of mine mentioned something about him being eligible to play as early as December 10th. 

I know that's a rumor but what I'm wondering is, is that allowed to happen? I've never really kept up with those types of details in college basketball as I've never been too into it's recruiting.

if he were to qualify and get on campus mid season, could we use him in games and what not?

2 minutes ago, Charhair said:

A friend of mine mentioned something about him being eligible to play as early as December 10th. 

I know that's a rumor but what I'm wondering is, is that allowed to happen? I've never really kept up with those types of details in college basketball as I've never been too into it's recruiting.

if he were to qualify and get on campus mid season, could we use him in games and what not?

yes that's the plan as of now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charhair said:

Tennessee did it with Jarnell Stokes a few years ago. 

If he shows up on campus, I hope people will keep their expectations  of him reasonable.  He's a kid and will have a tough time against sec bigs.  I'm sure he has improved in the last 10 months but I saw him play this last high school season.  I don't think he will be ready this season if he comes.  10-15 minutes max per game.  Also he will have a tough time with the Ticky tack calls.

• Like 1