Former AU WR Nate Craig-Myers Transfers to Colorado St.

CameronCrazy

I don't know if Auburn would know how to react if we pulled in a top receiver class.

"Hope they know how to block on the outside, lol."

If only that weren't true.....

I think it would make AU's offense evolve again like it was with Sammie and Duke. Plus it would spread the field for the emerging RBS and also help the QBs. JJ looked like an entirely different player with Ricardo, Duke, and Sammie. So if Gus lands these guys I believe the offense would be very dangerous in the next 3 seasons.

If we bring in the kind of class that is possible, it should evolve FAR beyond Sammy and Duke. We have the potential to bring in 3 difference makers... the kind of receivers that make the QB look better. Even Sammie, who I loved, was only that kind of receiver part of the time. Duke was less so, at least while he was here, and Ricardo never was at all. It's exciting to think what Sean could do if he had 2-3 guys on the field, at all times, who run solid routes and catch anything that is close to them.

Yeah and maybe even four great WR come signing day, and Ricardo was a good wide out who is still learning how to play WR. He was a Qb in high school his athleticism along will get him drafted and he is a play maker. I bet my money he does very well in the NFL, and the Duke and Sammie quote was just the most recent comparison of a great group of Auburn WRs. And I'd also bet money you was jumping for joy to hear Duke decided to come back this past fall. And I didn't write that to debate, I just remember Iron bowl 2014 and how Nick Marshall Tore the top off of a great Defense.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if Auburn would know how to react if we pulled in a top receiver class.

"Hope they know how to block on the outside, lol."

If only that weren't true.....

I think it would make AU's offense evolve again like it was with Sammie and Duke. Plus it would spread the field for the emerging RBS and also help the QBs. JJ looked like an entirely different player with Ricardo, Duke, and Sammie. So if Gus lands these guys I believe the offense would be very dangerous in the next 3 seasons.

If we bring in the kind of class that is possible, it should evolve FAR beyond Sammy and Duke. We have the potential to bring in 3 difference makers... the kind of receivers that make the QB look better. Even Sammie, who I loved, was only that kind of receiver part of the time. Duke was less so, at least while he was here, and Ricardo never was at all. It's exciting to think what Sean could do if he had 2-3 guys on the field, at all times, who run solid routes and catch anything that is close to them.

Yeah and maybe even four great WR come signing day, and Ricardo was a good wide out who is still learning how to play WR. He was a Qb in high school his athleticism along will get him drafted and he is a play maker. I bet my money he does very well in the NFL, and the Duke and Sammie quote was just the most recent comparison of a great group of Auburn WRs. And I'd also bet money you was jumping for joy to hear Duke decided to come back this past fall. And I didn't write that to debate, I just remember Iron bowl 2014 and how Nick Marshall Tore the top off of a great Defense.

Not saying any of those guys aren't good players, just that none were the type who, if the ball was within their catch radius, were going to bring it in. Ricardo is a great athlete, no doubt, but his hands still need a lot of work.

Duke never lived up to his hype... it's anyone's guess as to why. Yea, I was excited to have him back this year, because it was really him or no one. If I had the choice between him and Sammie, it would have been Sammie all day. Until Ricardo became the man, no one even thought of him as a possibility as our #1 receiver.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting a bunch of freshmen to come in and be the second coming of Calvin Johnson, but having multiple guys who can make a play happen at receiver hasn't happened since the Tubberville days. Even Adams and T-Zach weren't at the level that these guys could be.

Keith Niebhur had a free podcast where he said DC had us in a good position with this guy. He said he expects us to pull 3 of the 4 of Eli Stove, Kyle Davis, Ahmmon Richards, and Nate Craig.

Duke was as good of a pass catcher as Auburn's ever seen... when he wanted to be. Unfortunately, that disclaimer means everything in terms of what he ultimately contributed to Auburn football.

Sammie was a perfect match for Nick. One dude who was as good as we're going to see at getting way down the field, and another dude who pretty much only excelled at throwing way down the field.

Courtney, Ben, Devin and Mix might be the best squad we've ever had. Love all those guys, but Kyle, Eli, Marquis and either Nate or Ahmmon could very well be a new and improved version of that crew. It's all up to Gus.

All I know is we are way behind. Through the course of this season I watched several Big-12 games. Okie State, TCU, Baylor etc. You end up wondering how/where they got all those fantastic pass catchers! If we could round up just a couple like that it would make the entire offense click.

had sammie been back this year, it would have made a world of difference. we could not stretch the field for sh*t.

Sammie dropped as many as anybody. What we really needed was some guys that caught the ball. Drops turned several potential wins into losses.

had sammie been back this year, it would have made a world of difference. we could not stretch the field for sh*t.

Sammie left when he should have. I don't think his stock would have risen any higher by staying one more year. At least not for last year ...

Sammie dropped as many as anybody. What we really needed was some guys that caught the ball. Drops turned several potential wins into losses.

Sammie Coates did not "turn several potential wins into losses", but he turned a couple potential losses into wins. Wide receivers drop footballs. It happens. Sometimes they also manage to catch balls they shouldn't have.

Guys like Sammie manage to be extremely valuable despite the occasional drop.

Courtney, Ben, Devin and Mix might be the best squad we've ever had. Love all those guys, but Kyle, Eli, Marquis and either Nate or Ahmmon could very well be a new and improved version of that crew. It's all up to Gus.

This is EXACTLY what I'm saying.

Courtney and Ben played in a different era than what we are in now, so it's not a comparison in my opinion. I'm saying based on the offense we've seen from Gus the past 5 seasons it would be very beneficial to have 2 or 3 great WRs to compliment the entire offense. 2014 when both Sammie and Duke was healthy Auburn scored with any and everybody with a DB at QB. It's only when one WR. was hurt or suspended when AU fell into trouble in 2014 Georgia, Miss. State, Wisconsin all games AU struggled at times to score points.

Sammie Coates did not "turn several potential wins into losses", but he turned a couple potential losses into wins. Wide receivers drop footballs. It happens. Sometimes they also manage to catch balls they shouldn't have.

I didn't say Sammie turned potential wins into losses. Sorry if I wasn't clear but I was thinking of the 2015 season. Duke, Ray, Louis and Jason Smith dropped enough this year to drastically change the season. While it would have been nice to have Sammie another year, catching everything thrown near him was not his strong point. Getting way, way downfield in a hurry, yes. Hands like some of those Big-12 receivers have, not so much.

I didn't say Sammie turned potential wins into losses. Sorry if I wasn't clear but I was thinking of the 2015 season. Duke, Ray, Louis and Jason Smith dropped enough this year to drastically change the season. While it would have been nice to have Sammie another year, catching everything thrown near him was not his strong point. Getting way, way downfield in a hurry, yes. Hands like some of those Big-12 receivers have, not so much.

Having qb's that can throw down field would help. While talking about those wr's don't forget the qb's. Also you're one of the main people that talk about close losses...it makes me laugh that you can't see pass Sammie drops to see he made plays for scoring drives....I don't care if he only caught one out of five passes if that one is a touch down. Lastly having a guy that can take the top off a defense is just as if not more so, important as a good hb or full back blocking. Changes the ENTIRE defensive strategy without a catch being made.

Your attitude towards Sammie actually reminds me of the one you have with Bowers in basketball and how you babycan't seem to see the big picture of the entire strategy of the game

I have watched Marquis play several times this year and if he is going to be elite he better come in ready to work. Eli on the other hand, is an outstanding WR. He's fast with the ball and seemed to be always in the play. I hope MM proves me wrong but he took way too many plays off this year.

Archived