6.11.14 updated roster

WDE_OxPx_2010

The perhaps unfortunate reality is that coaches like Pearl are hired for $15 million and expected to produce immediately. Tough business, which argues for more rules protecting players.

What rules would you suggest? The players jump ship at any whim and then who protects the school? As you said, "tough business". When players sign with a major college they know, or should know, that their lollypop days are over.

It's a business for those making money. Coaches make decisions now-a-days they may not have made 30 years ago. All the rights go one way-- I don't like where this NCAA lawsuit is going, but I understand why there is sympathy for that position now when there wouldn't have been years ago.

Years ago every player that didn't start from the get-go wasn't jumping ship and transferring out after one season. The times, they are a' changin'. Or so sang Bob Dylan.

So, this kid who we recruited to come to our school and essentially committed to pay for school, is tossed on his ear through no fault of his own. Assuming he has worked as hard as possible and just has not lived up to the hype. He has done everything the university asked over the last few years and was provided the worst coach in AU history and is now dumped to the street. Had he committed to a lower level school or another school with a worthy coach he likely would not have suffered this fate. But we are OK with turning our backs on a kid who stuck it out on someone who stuck it out through he worst coaching cycle in school history. If he has done something other than live up to the hype, I get it. But we are turning our backs on this kid with one year of school left.

It happens with jobs all the time-best the kids learn about that part of life now so they will be mentally prepared if they ever get laid off from a job despite doing a great job, because that is how things go sometimes with the economy. The kids should count their blessings-they could be s female in a backward, Muslim country or living in parts of Africa where tribal slayings and slavery (yes it still exists there) are a part of daily life.

This discussion about players "rights" always kills me. Same issue is being discussed in football thread.

Mikey, I only disagree with one nuance of your statement ... Regarding things always changing ...

The player has the ultimate power in all of this. This has never ever changed. He has the power to decide if he wants to play or not. If he doesn't like the way things are in big time college athletics then he can choose to not play college sports,

He is perfectly able to pay for his college just like all the other students, get his degree and go on with his life. If he feels taken advantage of, treated poorly or disrespected then stop playing and pay for your own dang school.

So, this kid who we recruited to come to our school and essentially committed to pay for school, is tossed on his ear through no fault of his own. Assuming he has worked as hard as possible and just has not lived up to the hype. He has done everything the university asked over the last few years and was provided the worst coach in AU history and is now dumped to the street. Had he committed to a lower level school or another school with a worthy coach he likely would not have suffered this fate. But we are OK with turning our backs on a kid who stuck it out on someone who stuck it out through he worst coaching cycle in school history. If he has done something other than live up to the hype, I get it. But we are turning our backs on this kid with one year of school left.

It happens with jobs all the time-best the kids learn about that part of life now so they will be mentally prepared if they ever get laid off from a job despite doing a great job, because that is how things go sometimes with the economy. The kids should count their blessings-they could be s female in a backward, Muslim country or living in parts of Africa where tribal slayings and slavery (yes it still exists there) are a part of daily life.

Wow. Are you trying to joke, or does your mind actually work that way?

This discussion about players "rights" always kills me. Same issue is being discussed in football thread.

Mikey, I only disagree with one nuance of your statement ... Regarding things always changing ...

The player has the ultimate power in all of this. This has never ever changed. He has the power to decide if he wants to play or not. If he doesn't like the way things are in big time college athletics then he can choose to not play college sports,

He is perfectly able to pay for his college just like all the other students, get his degree and go on with his life. If he feels taken advantage of, treated poorly or disrespected then stop playing and pay for your own dang school.

Your viewpoint is at odds with the basic facts.

Your viewpoint is at odds with the basic facts.

huh?

Archived