PatBoCamRob

I think we should retire 11. It's not knee-jerk or hyperbole that the Kick-6 is the best play in college football. It was better than Flutie and Cal-Stanford "The band is on the field" combined.

If the powers that be are reading this, let's do it.

Also, I would like to request that an image of the back of a jersey with 11 on it be on all Auburn license plates. Bammers will be chasing Davis' tail-lights forever.

That is all.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I love that play as much as anyone, I think we should not get to carried away with this. Beating bama is always special, especially the way they have been disrespecting us, but I think we need to keep moving forward and make beating them seem mundane rather than focusing on one admittedly awesome win.

besides, I would rather see #2 hung up forever first

I'm sorry, but no. First off, I would contend that the Cal-Stanford play is the best of all time in college football...and frankly, I don't think the Kick 6 was even the best play of last season. That honor, IMO, goes to the "Immaculate Deflection".

Either way, though, as much as I like Chris Davis, and as great a player as he is, there is simply no way we should retire his number. There are only so many numbers to retire, after all, and one of our Heisman winners has not had his number retired yet. I like the idea of putting it on the license plate, because having bammers chasing #11 forever would be priceless, but it's too cliched to not get old REALLY quickly.

I think kick six was the best play in football because both teams had NC's on the line. However, retiring the number would be ridiculous. Don't worry, Chris Davis will never be forgotten.

I'm sorry, but no. First off, I would contend that the Cal-Stanford play is the best of all time in college football...and frankly, I don't think the Kick 6 was even the best play of last season. That honor, IMO, goes to the "Immaculate Deflection".

Either way, though, as much as I like Chris Davis, and as great a player as he is, there is simply no way we should retire his number. There are only so many numbers to retire, after all, and one of our Heisman winners has not had his number retired yet. I like the idea of putting it on the license plate, because having bammers chasing #11 forever would be priceless, but it's too cliched to not get old REALLY quickly.

Eh I disagree with the miracle at Jordan-Hare being the best last season. I still put that at #2 given the circumstances of the kick six, but no, 11 should not be retired. Jerseys are retired based on a player being truly head and shoulders better than others on the field at the time for an extended period. Although Davis was a great corner, and an NFL talent, he was no Jackson, Sullivan, or Beasley. #2 should be retired I do think, but I am even hesitant for that in that Cam was only here for one year. The license plate is a fantastic idea however :D

If you want to retire a jersey number because of the kick-6, you first need to give Gus a jersey number, and then retire it. Yea, Davis ran the ball back, but I would argue that it could have been Grant or maybe even Lewis, had they been put in the perfect position that Gus put Davis in.

Retire Cam's number and continue with the clear criteria: win the Heisman and we retire your number. Can we start a preemptive discussion about retiring 14? ;)

Absolutely NOT....no way should #11 be retired....NO WAY.

Agreed... You don't retire a number on the basis of one play...

I like the style of the OP -- and I agree that the Kick 6 is the greatest play of all time.

But I also agree that one play is not enough to retire a player's number.

At Augusta there are plaques for great shots. There needs to be a plaque at JHS that immortalizes the Kick Six. Bring Chris Davis back at Homecoming to dedicate the marker. I say find where Rod Bramblett says "There Goes Davis" at the Alabama 40 yd line.

Little doc

History is written by the victors

At Augusta there are plaques for great shots. There needs to be a plaque at JHS that immortalizes the Kick Six. Bring Chris Davis back at Homecoming to dedicate the marker. I say find where Rod Bramblett says "There Goes Davis" at the Alabama 40 yd line.

Little doc

History is written by the victors

Yep, something like that.

We could build a bridge over the hedges (continuing the Augusta theme) for next time fans storm the field.

Nope. Chris Davis will always be remembered for the Kick Six in the 2013 Iron Bowl but he was also unfortuanately the one who was covering Florida State's WR Kelvin Benjamin who caught the game winning touchdown pass in the 2014 BCS NC Game.

Nope. Chris Davis will always be remembered for the Kick Six in the 2013 Iron Bowl but he was also unfortuanately the one who was covering Florida State's WR Kelvin Benjamin who caught the game winning touchdown pass in the 2014 BCS NC Game.

It was hardly Davis' fault FSU won that game. He won't be remembered for that unless you're just a generally negative person.

play is as big as the op says but im not a fan of retiring #s. you could run low if things keep going well.

It was hardly Davis' fault FSU won that game. He won't be remembered for that unless you're just a generally negative person.

I don't think anybody wants to be negative about him but the fact remains that aside from the game winning TD catch, it was Davis who missed the tackle on an FSU catch that got them in the redzone and Davis who drew the PI call that lead to Benjamin's catch on the next play. Bama and FSU fans always bring that up.

I don't think anybody wants to be negative about him but the fact remains that aside from the game winning TD catch, it was Davis who missed the tackle on an FSU catch that got them in the redzone and Davis who drew the PI call that lead to Benjamin's catch on the next play. Bama and FSU fans always bring that up.

I guess I don't associate enough with rednecks. It's still no single player's fault that AU lost that game, and he still won't be remembered for his performance against FSU.

I guess I don't associate enough with rednecks. It's still no single player's fault that AU lost that game, and he still won't be remembered for his performance against FSU.

Totally agree, SMB.

Davis was a senior last year and there won't be a BCS NC game in 2014. We start the new playoff this year. Last years game was the 2013 BCS championship, not 2014. Pet peeve of mine. Just because the game was/is played in January doesn't make it the 2014 title. It's the 2013 title.

It is the 2013 BCS Championship that FSU won. However they won it in the 2014 BCS Championship GAME. That's how the BCS refers to it.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4809856

As you can see, they name the game itself by the year it was played in, not the season it is the championship for. Alabama's win over Notre Dame was in the 2013 BCS Championship Game.

Now...back to the original topic: We don't retire numbers over one iconic play. Sorry. Bo, Sully and Beasley (and potentially Cam one day) have had their jersey retired for outstanding seasons or careers. And Bo and Sully both won the Heisman. Chris Davis, as beloved and remembered as he always will be, didn't even get all-SEC at his position. We don't retire numbers for that. If we did retire them for such heroics, the first candidates on the block would be David Langner and Bill Newton.

I'm not even sure they should retire #2. Cam was unbelievable for sure and I still follow his career, but I'm not sure one season warrants a retirement, Heisman or not.

I'm not even sure they should retire #2. Cam was unbelievable for sure and I still follow his career, but I'm not sure one season warrants a retirement, Heisman or not.

But he was one of the greatest players in Auburn history. Not to mention no player has worn #2 since Cam.

Archived