2013 4* S Tray Matthews (Georgia signee & transferred to AU)

Rednilla

I'm an Auburn High graduate so maybe I'm seeing this a different way.  Foster recently came out and said that he isn't worried about making friends at Auburn High and just wants to go there and get out as fast as possible.  I personally am disgusted that college football has come to a point where a high school student is thinking this way.  Hopefully Coach Carter can get Foster's priorities straight while he is there and the same goes for Matthews if he takes the same route.

Edit:  I think the Alabama High School system has to get something changed so players can't transfer from out of state like this in the future.  It's high school for goodness sake.  The priority should be education.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AT10....you are 100% correct.  Alabama taxpayers paying the tab for these kids to pass through the system just to qualify for early graduation....just to play college football. 

AHS may think it's benefitting by having some hot shot kids show up for a season....hope someone helps them see the light on the matter.

AT10....you are 100% correct.   Alabama taxpayers paying the tab for these kids to pass through the system just to qualify for early graduation....just to play college football. 

AHS may think it's benefitting by having some hot shot kids show up for a season....hope someone helps them see the light on the matter.

Kinda like Cam or when we tried to get Russel Wilson?

I am definitely opposed to this kind of switching.  I don't blame the kids however ... they have a loophole in the system to exploit and are doing so to their advantage.  Not sure how it should be changed, but it isnt AHS responsibility, I wouldnt think.  I would assume this should, and can only be, changed at the state level.

Of course, i am admitted and entirely hypocritical in being happy if it works to Auburn University's advantage.

AT10....you are 100% correct.   Alabama taxpayers paying the tab for these kids to pass through the system just to qualify for early graduation....just to play college football. 

college kids versus high school kids ... big difference in my opinion.

I don't see what the big deal is. If I had wanted to graduate early for academics and couldn't do it in GA then I would transfer to AL too, and nobody would care. You guys are acting like these kids are going to college to be engineers or something... they aren't. They are going to college to play football, who cares if they move states so that they can get on the field faster. Just my opinion of course.

yes , exactly like them...if they were high school students looking for a way to circumvent high school easier as opposed to a juco QB looking for a 4 year school or a QB told by his coach to find a new team..

I was just saying that for those guys, and now reuben and trey, school for them is just a means to an ends. They aren't there for academics they are there for football, saddening? very much so, but a reality none the less. And to try and denote the difference between high school and college in those terms will be pretty hard. Just my opinion

I was just saying that for those guys, and now reuben and trey, school for them is just a means to an ends. They aren't there for academics they are there for football, saddening? very much so, but a reality none the less. And to try and denote the difference between high school and college in those terms will be pretty hard. Just my opinion

You are right, just a means to an end. 

No, they are preparing themselves to do what they do best and make money while doing it. Isn't that what all college students are trying to do? And as a bonus, they have to go to and pass enough classes (at least, in theory anyway) every semester/quarter to remain eligible, so if football doesn't work out for them, they have something to fall back on in spite of their poor attitude toward why they were there in the first place.

It's not as if football isn't hard work, and considering how little legal financial compensation college football players get as compared to the amount of money brought in by the university and apparel stores and anyone who sells anything with a college logo on it, it's kind of easy to understand why they would be focusing on getting to a point where they can cash in on their abilities.

Until I see otherwise, there is nothing about these transfers or potential transfers that bodes well for AU.

Have you ever been to Auburn? Did being there not make you want to stay? And you don't see any way that it could possibly bode well for Auburn University? Really?

No, they are preparing themselves to do what they do best and make money while doing it. Isn't that what all college students are trying to do? And as a bonus, they have to go to and pass enough classes (at least, in theory anyway) every semester/quarter to remain eligible, so if football doesn't work out for them, they have something to fall back on in spite of their poor attitude toward why they were there in the first place.

It's not as if football isn't hard work, and considering how little legal financial compensation college football players get as compared to the amount of money brought in by the university and apparel stores and anyone who sells anything with a college logo on it, it's kind of easy to understand why they would be focusing on getting to a point where they can cash in on their abilities.

I know football is incredibly tough work, I know they have to be able to "pass" their classes, I know that college in it's most truest form is preparation for what we hope to do for the rest of our lives. That doesn't change the fact that for these guys, high school and college are just through ways to an end result. The title Student-athlete doesn't carry as much weight as it used too.

In all honesty, college for me is just a means, i hope to go on to medical school, i'd absolutely rejoice in the opportunity to just go straight to med school and not have to deal with college, but I am here, and i'm making the best of it. I was just trying to lessen the distinction between what reuben and trey are doing and what other individuals are doing in college by transferring, juco, prep school, etc etc

Until I see otherwise, there is nothing about these transfers or potential transfers that bodes well for AU.

Have you ever been to Auburn? Did being there not make you want to stay? And you don't see any way that it could possibly bode well for Auburn University? Really?

Actually I spent six lovely years in Auburn so I appreciate the school and the community.    IMO, some kids looking for a short-cut to Bama or UGa have nothing to do with Auburn or what should be the primary function of AHS.      Auburn is a great community and with any effort a all, AHS could attract kids from all the nearby class A and AA schools who would benefit from tougher competition and good coaching.  We could even find places for the parents to "house-sit" or perhaps find jobs in the AU athletic department to help flip them from their current favorite.

If the purpose of AHS is to prepare kids to play college football, let them step up and say so and I expect they will be flooded with transfer opportunities from kids and parents looking for the quick route to the NFL.  No matter than about 99% of them will never make it to the NFL.....and probably most of them do not advance their professional football careers by starting school early.

"“@Trigga_Tray28: it's gonna be a crazy weekend.  Me and Reuben either going to auburn or Bama.”

something tells me that if these two end up at Auburn HS together (the rumor is that Tray is moving to AU HS) that we end up pulling them.

If Tray moves to AU HS and we don't pull them, then something fishy is going on. Not necessarily because of rules being broken, but why would both players move to Auburn only to go to Bama?

To rip our hearts out like Yeldon did!!!!

I know it's slow right now in terms of recruitment, and it's fun to speculate on Foster and Matthews, but if the truth be told, nothing is going to change with either kid until very close to NSD, and most likely it will not change with either.  We will have a very, very good class, but chances are it won't include either of these.

I know it's slow right now in terms of recruitment, and it's fun to speculate on Foster and Matthews, but if the truth be told, nothing is going to change with either kid until very close to NSD, and most likely it will not change with either.  We will have a very, very good class, but chances are it won't include either of these.

I don' think these kids make it to NSD. I'd suspect if they are going to AHS it's so they can enroll early somewhere.

I don' think these kids make it to NSD. I'd suspect if they are going to AHS it's so they can enroll early somewhere.

You're right.

You're right.

How awesome would it be if they both committ to us right when the dead period starts....Yeldon 2.0

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone got a clue what this means?

Tray Matthews

@Trigga_Tray28

"Talking to auburn coach yesterday. Reuben lied on me man lol!"

Anyone got a clue what this means?

Tray Matthews

@Trigga_Tray28

"Talking to auburn coach yesterday. Reuben lied on me man lol!"

Nothing against you at all, but please stop. You'll drive yourself -- and other fans -- absolutely crazy trying to pull apart, analyze and speculate on every tweet that these recruits put out. Nobody has a clue what any of them are talking about, what any of it means and if these recruits are serious or just trolling. They have thousands of fans following their every move (which is beyond sad), and they have the power to say or do anything they want to.

Just relax. If anything of significance happens, it won't take you long to find out. It will be reported by the newspapers and recruiting sites. That's their job, after all.

If anything of significance happens, it won't take you long to find out. It will be reported by the newspapers and recruiting sites. That's their job, after all.

But it's our job to speculate and drive ourselves crazy  ;)  ;D

Guest EagleDamnWar

Guessing it's Matthews excuse for not being at Big Cat Weekend.  Looks like Foster spilled the beans to the AU coaches

Guessing it's Matthews excuse for not being at Big Cat Weekend.  Looks like Foster spilled the beans to the AU coaches

Beans you say...

Reuben spilled the Lie-ma beans.

Archived