2013 4* S Tray Matthews (Georgia signee & transferred to AU)

Rednilla

I personally didn't have a problem with him trying for the int. and if he had gotten it, I'm pretty sure mark richt would have been congratulating him with open arms. Game over, with a comeback of epic proportion's that would have went down in history for their program.

But that's the thing about "if". It didn't happen that way.

Knocked down balls don't get caught. Missed interceptions occasionally do.

While anecdotal, batted balls can end up just as poorly.

I'm amazed we've carried this whole thing on about the batted ball on as long as we have, but even had he been playing for AU I wouldn't have blamed him. I know batting it down is safer, but it wasn't his fault it got tipped like it did. He was in the right position the entire way.

You're right -- Tray was in the right position, nothing is guaranteed, and hindsight is 50/50 ( ;) ).

I'm also amazed we've carried on so long about Tray's role in the Prayer and Jordan-Hare. Only group I can imagine going on longer about it are a bunch of fans who sit around barking at each other.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally didn't have a problem with him trying for the int. and if he had gotten it, I'm pretty sure mark richt would have been congratulating him with open arms. Game over, with a comeback of epic proportion's that would have went down in history for their program.

I'm amazed we've carried this whole thing on about the batted ball on as long as we have, but even had he been playing for AU I wouldn't have blamed him. I know batting it down is safer, but it wasn't his fault it got tipped like it did. He was in the right position the entire way.

The texans player batted the ball, but not down. He looked liked he was trying to do a volleyball "set"pass. I still agree it wasn't Trays fault ....even though he was clearly trying to catch the ball himself. Which is not fundamentally sound football. 69 days til football season so lets drag this convo out as long as possible ;)

I am going to spill the beans now that it has come full circle. I heard that Tray and Ricardo planned this when AU was recruiting Tray in HS. JHC was paid by Saban/Danny Sheridan to foil the plot in order to dash AU's hopes prior to the IB. Gus found out about the Sheridan plot and had Nick put a reverse spin on his pass. Thereby causing JHC to tip the ball backward instead of forward. Back and to the left, back and to the left. Bama also had Rashaan Evans posted on the concrete knoll (recruit section), who supposedly was posing as an AU recruit. He was supposed to turn on the fog machine at the snap to distract Louis but a suspicious GA stopped him. Evans was later seen pretending to celebrate the AU victory, even rushing the field to throw folks off. Gus called to share this and to get my opinion. We decided to let it go since we won out in the end. When Richt found out he just conceded that he was outsmarted. He asked if he let AU have Tray would we keep it quiet. Now that it has happened nothing he can do about me being the one who told.

Tell us more.....a summer time novel. It started long, long ago in a pecan orchard in the sandy loam of Georgia when Daddy Dixie met Mama Dixie..... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

The texans player batted the ball, but not down. He looked liked he was trying to do a volleyball "set"pass. I still agree it wasn't Trays fault ....even though he was clearly trying to catch the ball himself. Which is not fundamentally sound football. 69 days til football season so lets drag this convo out as long as possible ;)

Never thought I'd see the day when volleyball would be used as an example to describe a play on these forums. That being said, if my setter looked like that we'd have a lot of work to do.

The texans player batted the ball, but not down. He looked liked he was trying to do a volleyball "set"pass. I still agree it wasn't Trays fault ....even though he was clearly trying to catch the ball himself. Which is not fundamentally sound football. 69 days til football season so lets drag this convo out as long as possible ;)/>

Never thought I'd see the day when volleyball would be used as an example to describe a play on these forums. That being said, if my setter looked like that we'd have a lot of work to do.

Well, the defender should've "spiked" the ball ....and yes, I used "spike" the volleyball term.

The texans player batted the ball, but not down. He looked liked he was trying to do a volleyball "set"pass. I still agree it wasn't Trays fault ....even though he was clearly trying to catch the ball himself. Which is not fundamentally sound football. 69 days til football season so lets drag this convo out as long as possible ;)/>

Well, the defender should've "spiked" the ball ....and yes, I used "spike" the volleyball term smart guy.

Man, you've got an absolutely gigantic chip on your shoulder. My comment wasn't meant in a derogatory way, at all. I'm a volleyball coach so I welcomed the comparison. Lighten up.

Well, the defender should've "spiked" the ball ....and yes, I used "spike" the volleyball term smart guy.

Man, you've got an absolutely gigantic chip on your shoulder. My comment wasn't meant in a derogatory way, at all. I'm a volleyball coach so I welcomed the comparison. Lighten up.

I didn't mean it in a derogatory way either, hence the reason why I edited my post.....

Anyways, shouldn't this thread be to the football side , now that Tray is enrolled.

Anyways, shouldn' this thread be on the football side , now that Tray is enrolled.

Anyways, shouldn't this thread be on the football side , now that Tray is enrolled.

+1

Anyways, shouldn' this thread be on the football side , now that Tray is enrolled.

Anyways, shouldn't this thread be on the football side , now that Tray is enrolled.

+1

Oh, I know, I know! That equals 3!

You're right -- Tray was in the right position, nothing is guaranteed, and hindsight is 50/50 ( ;) ).

I'm also amazed we've carried on so long about Tray's role in the Prayer and Jordan-Hare. Only group I can imagine going on longer about it are a bunch of fans who sit around barking at each other.

Here is another one. I Remember watching this one.

Ps. don't watch the bottom line...chiz getting killed by lsu.

+1

Oh, I know, I know! That equals 3!

Here's your sign...

You're right -- Tray was in the right position, nothing is guaranteed, and hindsight is 50/50 ( ;)/> ).

Here is another one. I Remember watching this one.

Ps. don't watch the bottom line...chiz getting killed by lsu.

So much for trying to knock it down huh? This is what desperation causes, chaotic events. Lol

I've noticed a pattern that bodes well for Tray. Recruits that go off the rails normally have offenses involving guns, drugs or both. As with Cam and Nick, neither of Tray's problems directly involved either. I like his chances to turn it around with some maturity and this wake-up call.

I've noticed a pattern that bodes well for Tray. Recruits that go off the rails normally have offenses involving guns, drugs or both. As with Cam and Nick, neither of Tray's problems directly involved either. I like his chances to turn it around with some maturity and this wake-up call.

Exactly.

Exactly.

agree...kids with drug related problems seem to have a tough time giving up their bad friends and drugs.

Archived