Auburn @ K State 9/18/2014

WarEagle84

So AU by a couple TDs on the road ......or a trap game? Which is it?

That's a huge difference in expectation though in my days of watching AU football I have seen some early season games like this tank an entire season.

I haven't been this confident about an AU team since the precursor to the '94 season, as in I felt that team would win every game on the schedule, with some being blowouts. So count me as one who is drowning in an ocean of New Day kool-aid. AU had a punishing and intentionally limited rushing attack that could not be stopped by ANYONE. I can't recall any team with a more relentless and productive running game in the modern era since the Tommy Frazier and Lawrence Phillips playing days, when NU triple optioned defenses to shreds. My brain salivates over what damage this '14 AU team could with only a top 50 ranked in passing yards per game.

Yet, through it all 2013 was supposed to have been a transitional rebuilding season.

I have much respect how Bill Snyder transformed K-State from a homecoming lay up into a winning program his own way. They haven't been a creampuff since prior to the early '90s. That being said, taking into account what this Auburn team has returning in comparison to core experienced personnel in comparison to KSU, the overall talent edge, the big game coaching experience on the sidelines, then yes, a blowout is definitely within reason for this one. This a trap game only if the players are mentally elsewhere, such as fine tuning themselves for revenge against LSU.

I have a lot of respect for what Bill Snyder has done at Kansas State as well, but they did have a period of time where they weren't very good. From 2004 - 2010 Kansas State was 39-45. That's 2 years of Snyder, then 3 years of Ron Prince then 2 years of Snyder.

If you don't already have lodging set in Manhattan, forget it. There are still plenty of rooms available in Topeka (90 mins or so) away. My son and I are flying in to KC on game day, spending the night in Topeka, then back out on Friday.

I spend a lot of time in KS, and Manhattan is a neat little town off the beaten track. Should be a fun environment for the AU Family to visit.

I think this will be a good game for about 2 quarters. We will start pulling away, and will have the game pretty much won by mid to late 3rd quarter.

Auburn 41

K State 20

• 3 weeks later...

K State were picked to finish 3rd in the Big 12, behind Oklahoma and Baylor and ahead of Texas.

They have a good QB in Waters but they lost pretty much all of their rushing production from last year. That will be a problem for them early in the season

It would be nice to get some fans in there so we are not considerably outnumbered. We had a good presence at the A&M game last year. When the crowd went silent, it was because we were cheering. Loved it. We need to give the team some love, win or lose!

It's cliche but this is a HUGE game for both teams and either could win if the other bumbles around even a bit. This will be an SEC like test for our D and IMO the first fair test at Auburn for ole Ellis since he now has NO excuses re D talent and/or experience at his disposal, using somebody else's players, new system, etc.

My Father-in-law went to K-sate and we have had this game circled for a few years now. We're trying to get our schedules cleared so that we can make the trip. I think it will be a good game . Snyder is a tremendous coach and excellent motivator, his players absolutely love him.

I doubt there is a coach in the profession that I respect more than Snyder. A great man a great coach.

Auburn by three touchdowns atleast.... If Kansas state can lose to North Dakota State in Manhattan, which occurred last year, Auburn SHOULD be able to handle them.

After going from 3-9 to the national championship game a year later any turn around is possible.

Our 3-9 team would've beat North Dakota state but I get your point. I don't think Kansas state has the talent to make that drastic of a turnaround.

I think ND State would have beat us.

K State will be tough. If we win by 3 TD, look out!

I think we will. I have watched every K-state game from last year (except the one against UMASS). They have problems defending the read option and problems handling power running games. They lost their best safety from last year Zimmerman. They lost their starting MLB Slaughter. The best player on their defense is Mueller their LE. He has a motor that never stops running. At about 245 pounds though he is a little undersized. I think our o line will be able to man handle them (watch the UT game).

They lost Daniel Sams, their running QB from last year, due to a transfer and they lost their starting RB Hubert to graduation. That's 3/4s of their rushing production gone. They have a pretty solid, if not very talented offensive line. Their starting QB Waters is pretty good. Has some mobility. Lockett is by far the biggest threat on their offense.

That being said, it's still a Bill Snyder team. They will continue to be disciplined and tough... But I don't think that will be enough to keep them in the game. They don't have much depth and tend to play the same guys the entire game. They might also still be trying to find their identity with most of their running production gone.

I'm just not buying the upset alert theme of this game.

K State will be tough. If we win by 3 TD, look out!

I think we will. I have watched every K-state game from last year (except the one against UMASS). They have problems defending the read option and problems handling power running games. They lost their best safety from last year Zimmerman. They lost their starting MLB Slaughter. The best player on their defense is Mueller their LE. He has a motor that never stops running. At about 245 pounds though he is a little undersized. I think our o line will be able to man handle them (watch the UT game).

They lost Daniel Sams, their running QB from last year, due to a transfer and they lost their starting RB Hubert to graduation. That's 3/4s of their rushing production gone. They have a pretty solid, if not very talented offensive line. Their starting QB Waters is pretty good. Has some mobility. Lockett is by far the biggest threat on their offense.

That being said, it's still a Bill Snyder team. They will continue to be disciplined and tough... But I don't think that will be enough to keep them in the game. They don't have much depth and tend to play the same guys the entire game. They might also still be trying to find their identity with most of their running production gone.

I'm just not buying the upset alert theme of this game.

This^^

• 1 month later...

ya know this week san jose state,then next week is a bye week, then kstate week...this helps a lot,aub's gonna surprise a lot of people,might not be closer than we think

K state is off next week as well I think. Both teams will have the same prep. I still like our chances.

Like Arky, KState isn't like anybody else we'll play this year. Plus they have polished players in key roles. Quirky also describes them well IMO. I have us losing 2 games this year, to KState and Bama. KState because, for all the time we have to prepare for them, I believe our D will not adequately stop them at this point in the season (our D could be top tier by mid November), mainly because we'll still have missed assignments & sloppy positional play but also because we'll give them some short field turnovers & special teams gaffs from first road game of the season lack of focus.

I agree that IF we focus on O & special teams we should win handily.

I have to laugh at some of these posts. Regardless of what their offense does....does anyone ACTUALLY believe they can stop our Offense? One of the best run defenses in the NCAA couldn't do it last season. And we're projected to be more efficient this season. So....I'll predict a 55-10 win for Auburn. That's being generous. We have almost 2 weeks to rest and prepare for this game.

Like Arky, KState isn't like anybody else we'll play this year. Plus they have polished players in key roles. Quirky also describes them well IMO. I have us losing 2 games this year, to KState and Bama. KState because, for all the time we have to prepare for them, I believe our D will not adequately stop them at this point in the season (our D could be top tier by mid November), mainly because we'll still have missed assignments & sloppy positional play but also because we'll give them some short field turnovers & special teams gaffs from first road game of the season lack of focus.

So you are predicting a KSU win?

No, canuck is predicting that a Gus Malzahn-led offense that returns 9 starters from a team that came 13 seconds shy of a national championship is going to miss assignments, lack focus and be sloppy.

His points about special teams could have merit, but it's just as easy to assume that they'll be fine as it is to assume they won't. Going on the only evidence we have, our special teams are going to be quite good this season, and opening against an SECW opponent should be just as nerve-wracking- and mistake-inducing- as playing in Manhattan on a Thursday night the 3rd game and 4th week of the season.

No, canuck is predicting that a Gus Malzahn-led offense that returns 9 starters from a team that came 13 seconds shy of a national championship is going to miss assignments, lack focus and be sloppy.

His points about special teams could have merit, but it's just as easy to assume that they'll be fine as it is to assume they won't. Going on the only evidence we have, our special teams are going to be quite good this season, and opening against an SECW opponent should be just as nerve-wracking- and mistake-inducing- as playing in Manhattan on a Thursday night the 3rd game and 4th week of the season.

Yep, predicting KSU win. 32-31. Feel free to call me out after we win by 6 TDs, I'll be a happy doofus anyway. fwiw, when I predict AU to struggle my record's pretty good. But I'm just a ham & egger on a message board. I also predicted Kiehl Frazier would be the second coming. Carry on.

Archived